The Travel Insurance Promotion Thread

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which company to go for annual travel insurance personal?

U hsve to check the coverage
not all company coverage is the same ...
within each company, they have different package
within each package, there have different plans
is just like asking which store sells fuji apple the cheapest ...

so far have purchased single plans, having flew 15x last year, still prefer single plan, cox never thought would fly until so many times
anyway my single plan experience is that avia and msig dbs traveller is the best ...

anl

Reaction score
What do you guys think about the annual plans by Tokio Marine, theirs seems to be the cheapest.

galapogos

Reaction score
After analysing different promotions and policies, I decided on the etiqa travel insurance online @ 50% off.

Buying online also entitles you to free plan upgrade (i.e. Bought the cheapest economy plan -> got upgraded to the business plan). Currently most value for money.

Hope this helped.

For those who are concerned about the coverage of etiqa for terrorism, i noted that they are rather strict in claims for political issues/terrorism. So if these are your areas of concern, might want to consider other company travel policies, but if you're just looking for the best value, etiqa's online 50% + free upgrade would be recommended IMO.

Hi,

I'm also considering etiqa as they have very high ratings on gobear.com. However, I noted that the prices on etiqa's website are higher than those listed on gobear.com. The pricing on gobear seems to be 1 tier cheaper. Based on your explanation, I now know why. Can you elaborate on how the online upgrade works?

lorian

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether MSIG, aviva and etiqa insures the person going for overseas 42km marathon as a amateur?? I know AIG does as mentioned in their FAQ but I could not find any information on MSIG or Aviva or etiqa.

vader1671

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to do my Christmas vacation soon.

I'm going from Singapore to Philippines and then on to Japan and back. Total trip length is about a month.

What Travel Insurance should I get? Would appreciate if this can all be done online as well, since I'll be leaving soon.

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Waiting for MISG 50% Travel insurance before 10/12

Checked their msig 50% dbs traveller shield plan
theirlast time was sept
then apr they also have once lsat year
hence will wait for apr to buy for my jun trip onwards lol

zai_ruzaini

Reaction score
Missed travel connection

Hi DBS/MSIG,

1) For instance I book a connecting flight from 2 separate airlines and the delay on incoming flight, causing me to miss my connection on another carrier, will the insurance cover the missed connection?

2) Is there a minimum "6-hour" delay rule, or any missed connection as a result from any amount of delay suffice for the claim?

3) If the delay resulted in me not able to check in my luggage but able to board the connecting flight and I forego the flight (obviously because im not going to leave my luggage just like that), will I still be covered under the missed travel connection section? if not, which section can cover this scenario?

Thank u in advance and hope to receive your prompt reply!!

DBS Bank

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to do my Christmas vacation soon.

I'm going from Singapore to Philippines and then on to Japan and back. Total trip length is about a month.

What Travel Insurance should I get? Would appreciate if this can all be done online as well, since I'll be leaving soon.

You can consider getting TravellerShield, and select Area 2 (which will cover both Philippines & Japan), and enter the dates for the duration of your trip. You can also buy travel insurance online instantly too, 1 less hassle for your trip planning & preparation.

Here's the link to more info about TravellerShield.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip! :)

lostasor22

Reaction score
DBS/MSIG have you consider increasing ur hp limit to 1k as per what AXA is doing? HP nw cost more than laptop and are easily pickpocket. Suggest u pass this feedback to ur underwriting team.

Sent from using GAGT

lostasor22

Reaction score
So what is the point of purchasing the insurance then?

Delay/cancel/reschedule/missing the flight beyond the means of the traveller is the most frequent travel disruption one can encounter.

Question to everybody - why do you purchase insurance and what you expect from that insurance to cover?
Most impt is for the PA and medical part. 2nd is for ur money hp laptop etc... seriously whoever who wants coverage just becos of a delay, den u will nid to pay premium many times the current premium. Ya juz becos ppl take lousy airline den u drive up the insurance premium?

Sent from using GAGT

DBS Bank

Reaction score
DBS/MSIG have you consider increasing ur hp limit to 1k as per what AXA is doing? HP nw cost more than laptop and are easily pickpocket. Suggest u pass this feedback to ur underwriting team.

Sent from using GAGT

lostasor22, thanks for sharing this with us, we'll pass your feedback along.

Hi DBS/MSIG,

1) For instance I book a connecting flight from 2 separate airlines and the delay on incoming flight, causing me to miss my connection on another carrier, will the insurance cover the missed connection?

2) Is there a minimum "6-hour" delay rule, or any missed connection as a result from any amount of delay suffice for the claim?

3) If the delay resulted in me not able to check in my luggage but able to board the connecting flight and I forego the flight (obviously because im not going to leave my luggage just like that), will I still be covered under the missed travel connection section? if not, which section can cover this scenario?

Hey zai_ruzaini, thanks for your query. please allow us some time to check this with our colleagues and get back to you.

DBS Bank

Reaction score
Hi DBS/MSIG,

Hi zai_ruzaini,

Coming back to you on your questions relating to Section 26 (Travel Misconnection).

Regarding your first 2 questions, you are eligible to claim under Section 26 (Travel Misconnection) if you miss your onward travel connection at the transfer point due to overbooking or the late arrival of your incoming flight, and if no onward transportation is available to you within 6 consecutive hours of your arrival.

If you have the option of boarding the connecting flight (as in your third question), you will not be eligible to claim under Section 26 (Travel Misconnection).

However, if you do board the connecting flight, you are covered under Section 29 (Delayed Baggage) if your luggage does not arrive within 6 hours of your arrival at your destination.

You might also be wondering about the documents you would need to submit for a claim under the Travel Misconnection, or Delayed Baggage sections. Do note that you would have to submit a written verification from the carrier, operator or handling agent stating the reasons and length of delay, on top of your basic documents (claim form, travelling schedule, airline ticket, boarding pass and copy of your passport with stamp showing the date of departure and return to Singapore).

We hope that this has helped to clarify!

Last edited:

zai_ruzaini

Reaction score
Hi zai_ruzaini,

Coming back to you on your questions relating to Section 26 (Travel Misconnection).

Regarding your first 2 questions, you are eligible to claim under Section 26 (Travel Misconnection) if you miss your onward travel connection at the transfer point due to overbooking or the late arrival of your incoming flight, and if no onward transportation is available to you within 6 consecutive hours of your arrival.

If you have the option of boarding the connecting flight (as in your third question), you will not be eligible to claim under Section 26 (Travel Misconnection).

However, if you do board the connecting flight, you are covered under Section 29 (Delayed Baggage) if your luggage does not arrive within 6 hours of your arrival at your destination.

You might also be wondering about the documents you would need to submit for a claim under the Travel Misconnection, or Delayed Baggage sections. Do note that you would have to submit a written verification from the carrier, operator or handling agent stating the reasons and length of delay, on top of your basic documents (claim form, travelling schedule, airline ticket, boarding pass and copy of your passport with stamp showing the date of departure and return to Singapore).

We hope that this has helped to clarify!

Hi DBS,

Appreciate the prompt reply.. However i would like to refer back to your comment on my third question.

For instance the delayed (less than 6hrs) incoming flight arrive after the bag drop counter closes but before the boarding gate closes, then what is the best thing that i should do next? As per your suggestion above, if i were to continue boarding the connecting flight, then who is going to attend to my luggage and send them back? The only way i could think of is to miss the connecting flight which is due to the delay.

Alternatively, upon knowing that there is a delay to my incoming flight which will cause me to miss my connecting flight,will i be covered in any section if i purchase another incoming flight ticket to ensure i do not miss that connecting flight?

Thanks much!

Last edited:

DBS Bank

Reaction score
Hi DBS,

Appreciate the prompt reply.. However i would like to refer back to your comment on my third question.

For instance the delayed (less than 6hrs) incoming flight arrive after the bag drop counter closes but before the boarding gate closes, then what is the best thing that i should do next? As per your suggestion above, if i were to continue boarding the connecting flight, then who is going to attend to my luggage and send them back? The only way i could think of is to miss the connecting flight which is due to the delay.

Alternatively, upon knowing that there is a delay to my incoming flight which will cause me to miss my connecting flight,will i be covered in any section if i purchase another incoming flight ticket to ensure i do not miss that connecting flight?

Thanks much!

Hi zai_ruzaini,

About your question on check-in luggage, you'd have to check with the airline on what the arrangements are and assess your options.

On your last question about whether a purchase of an incoming flight ticket will be covered, the answer is no. It'll be better to buffer for sufficient time between connecting flights to avoid these inconveniences which may not be covered by travel insurance. Insurance payout only kicks in only after a full six (6) consecutive hours of delay.

And if such incidents occur, do remember to get written verification from the airline stating the reason and length of delay, that's crucial when you submit your claims.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.