Trekking in nepal,anyone?

FlyingOhm

Reaction score
Nice sharing all, Artemov do update when you can ya? Because Nepal is not widely in the limelight of the news so it's really great to have such trip reports

Wahhhh Ekspakk, glad u enjoyed your trek and paragliding ... my turn soon ... anything else to take note of in Nepal these days? You have any leftover NPR? lol

artemov

Reaction score
Nice sharing all, Artemov do update when you can ya? Because Nepal is not widely in the limelight of the news so it's really great to have such trip reports

Sure, I'll be back only in April, but will update.

FlyingOhm

Reaction score
Bro thanks for the informative text. It surely do aid me in my planning. I plan to go in May to do a EBC & Island peak. Initial plan was to go to EBC unguided an do island with a guide at the base camp. But after reading many self trips including yours . I think I will want to do without a guide , but the people going alongside me which are the ones I'm afraid off. I am afraid if emergency procedures required to be administer and I can't be possibly running back and forth to ensure the group of 5 is in ok condition. I am weighing the odds .

Bro FlyingOhm!

In 2012, what I did was I contacted a KTM agent via email while I was still in SG. I requested him to get me a KTM-LUK tix, accommodation in KTM for 1 night, TIMS and National Park Permit, as well as pickup from KTM airport. When I arrived, I got picked up at the airport straight to the agent's place in Thamel. Though he tried his best to get me to hire a

There are guesthouses every 2 to 3 hours trekking time, so you can stop trekking for the day any time you want. Only Gorak Shep you probably need to worry a bit, in the peak season. Just find a decent looking lodge, go in and ask if they have rooms. You can also ask for free rooms in some lodges, just said you'll eat dinner and breakfast there! Trekking days are quite short in the EBC trek, it's the altitude you'll need to worry about. You'll have about 8 hours per day to play with for trekking. Maybe start at 8 or 9am and end at about 4pm (it will be cold by then). You will definitely come across multiple lodge clusters within this 8 hours. So
When are you going?
If you have more questions on planning, packing and what to expect as an indy trekker, please feel free to ask.

artemov

Reaction score
Hang on, when are you heading down? Back in April? Wow

I'll be flying to Nepal from Europe in late Feb. So by late March or very early April I should be back ...

Hmmm Island Peak can be done without a guide? I thot u need permit, basic ropes, crampons?

You are in a group of 5? Each member should be responsible for himself or herself ... What is going to happen if one member falls out due to altitude or illness?

Last edited:

FlyingOhm

Reaction score
Isee . Seems like a long trip. Island peak is mainly done with a guide but there's instances where people it it w/o guide . Need fixed ropes and wall climbing techniques.

Yes 4-5 in a group. And that was what I did thought as well. What will you do? I think for that I'll hire probably hire a guide to settle it

I'll be flying to Nepal from Europe in late Feb. So by late March or very early April I should be back ...

Hmmm Island Peak can be done without a guide? I thot u need permit, basic ropes, crampons?

You are in a group of 5? Each member should be responsible for himself or herself ... What is going to happen if one member falls out due to altitude or illness?

artemov

Reaction score
Yes 4-5 in a group. And that was what I did thought as well. What will you do? I think for that I'll hire probably hire a guide to settle it

It's really hard to answer this one. Maybe you can practice the buddy-buddy system. When any one is down and the rest need to proceed, the buddy will have to sacrifice and stay to take care of the fallen one! lol Of course if they are good friends then lagi best. Happened to us twice on my ABC trip, and that was with a commercial group trek! One was a bf-gf couple, and the other was 2 girls who were good friends. No guide or porter remained behind to take care of them. Of cos when we were done at ABC, we picked them up on our way back.

FlyingOhm

Reaction score
That's a great suggestion. So thoseople just start out at where they are and what do they do? They don't go back down on themselves right? Guess I am going with a guide and doing a pairing system like you mention .

It's really hard to answer this one. Maybe you can practice the buddy-buddy system. When any one is down and the rest need to proceed, the buddy will have to sacrifice and stay to take care of the fallen one! lol Of course if they are good friends then lagi best. Happened to us twice on my ABC trip, and that was with a commercial group trek! One was a bf-gf couple, and the other was 2 girls who were good friends. No guide or porter remained behind to take care of them. Of cos when we were done at ABC, we picked them up on our way back.

Ekspakk

Reaction score
Wahhhh Ekspakk, glad u enjoyed your trek and paragliding ... my turn soon ... anything else to take note of in Nepal these days? You have any leftover NPR? lol
Only got NPR 500+ left :s13:

Nothing really new, except that for first timers in Kathmandu, the entrance fee for the Durbar Square are now so expensive, now it's $10! So instead of paying the entrance fee to help them recover, it's forcing most tourist to enter through back alley's instead.

For paragliding, just another tip, better to fly during the morning, view will be nicer and the air is better according to the pilot, so you can fly higher.

artemov

Reaction score
That's a great suggestion. So thoseople just start out at where they are and what do they do? They don't go back down on themselves right? Guess I am going with a guide and doing a pairing system like you mention .

They stayed there and entertained themselves for a few days until we picked them up.

Thanks Ekspakk for the tips! Did you go to Pashupatinath and Boudhanath? Amazingly atmospheric and beautiful places these two, especially the former.

Last edited:

Ekspakk

Reaction score
Thanks Ekspakk for the tips! Did you go to Pashupatinath and Boudhanath? Amazingly atmospheric and beautiful places these two, especially the former.
Didn't really have time to explore Kathmandu Valley, maybe on my next trip. May next year got 2 holidays, maybe good time to re-visit and do a longer trek, just need to find a place to better prepare my knees and legs. :s13:

FlyingOhm

Reaction score
Guys, what do u all think of trekking in Mid June - July? In the midst of planning but realized that is the monsoon season. I've went before to langtang area in that period . Didn't get stranded much in any way but as this time will be towards lukla region, I have no prior experience in this. Is it still feasible? Anyone who went to EBC in June / July care to share ?
Just worried of extended week delays of ktm-luk flights

Tia -artemov

FlyingOhm

Reaction score
Hi bro Artemov, care to enlighten is this a better method then getting the flight tickets online as of current? Saw there is an agent that carries all carriers online but don't seem cheap and wondering its reliability .
Your idea sounds good and smooth .
Bro FlyingOhm!

In 2012, what I did was I contacted a KTM agent via email while I was still in SG. I requested him to get me a KTM-LUK tix, accommodation in KTM for 1 night, TIMS and National Park Permit, as well as pickup from KTM airport. When I arrived, I got picked up at the airport straight to the agent's place in Thamel. Though he tried his best to get me to hire a guide, I rejected. I got everything I need on that day itself and flew to LUK the next day! For LUK-KTM, I got a lodge in Namche to call ahead and reserve a LUK-KTM tix for 2 days later. When I reached Lukla, I collected my tix from a lodge there and flew off the next

artemov

Reaction score
Guys, what do u all think of trekking in Mid June - July? Anyone who went to EBC in June / July care to share ?

If you ask me, I wouldn't go to the Eastern Himalayas during the Monsoon. Rainy, cloudy, bad views, landslides, muddy, washed out trails, leeches, collapsed bridges, raging rivers, transport delays ... lol

Try to go earlier in June if possible, as July is the wettest month. Or you can try treks that are in the Himalayan rain shadow, like Annapurna Circuit (the beginning and the end you will experience some rain), Mustang/Dolpo. Or you try the Western Himalayas, like Ladakh in India or even Hunza/Baltistan in Pakistan (no independent teahouse treks though).

Hi bro Artemov, care to enlighten is this a better method then getting the flight tickets online as of current?

The reason I used an agent in 2012 was because there ain't any online booking then. I would definitely use online bookings now, far less hassle and the cost difference is minimal, I think. It's also not difficult to get TIMS/NP Permit on your own.

Last edited:

FlyingOhm

Reaction score
Advice taken.i will go late May to early June . When is your next trip Artemov?

If you ask me, I wouldn't go to the Eastern Himalayas during the Monsoon. Rainy, cloudy, bad views, landslides, muddy, washed out trails, leeches, collapsed bridges, raging rivers, transport delays ... lol

Try to go earlier in June if possible, as July is the wettest month. Or you can try treks that are in the Himalayan rain shadow, like Annapurna Circuit (the beginning and the end you will experience some rain), Mustang/Dolpo. Or you try the Western Himalayas, like Ladakh in India or even Hunza/Baltistan in Pakistan (no independent teahouse treks though).

The reason I used an agent in 2012 was because there ain't any online booking then. I would definitely use online bookings now, far less hassle and the cost difference is minimal, I think. It's also not difficult to get TIMS/NP Permit on your own.

kitkat2

Reaction score
exchange rates at thamel yesterday.

20bHvn9.jpg

beginning to find nepal more expensive than india for hotel, food and bus tickets...

FlyingOhm

Reaction score
Thanks for the share. Yes it is . In the past before the quake, things weren't so expensive . Ie, food & accomodations

exchange rates at thamel yesterday.

20bHvn9.jpg

beginning to find nepal more expensive than india for hotel, food and bus tickets...

Ekspakk

Reaction score
Agree, I think India was probably the cheapest place I've been to, but the quality of food in Nepal is much better though.

They have really good western food which I didn't expect.

FlyingOhm

Reaction score
Oh yes there is a pizza place in Ktm which is comparable to that of France. Can't remember the shop name.

Agree, I think India was probably the cheapest place I've been to, but the quality of food in Nepal is much better though.

They have really good western food which I didn't expect.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.