Trekking in nepal,anyone?

FlyingOhm

Reaction score
Will definitely check this out . Thanks !!

Just check it , its pretty vague on the terms. Anyone experience with this insurance, HCC?

Hi,
I did the AC trek in Dec 16. Bought insurance from AIG Travelguard. It covers up to 6000m. Includes heli evac too Cost me around SGD100. That is a cheaper alternative to WorldNomads.

Last edited:

artemov

Reaction score
Back from Nepal :) 2 days in KTM for preparation, 25 days Besi Sahar to Nayapul Annapurna Circuit, 2 days in Pokhara for r'n'r, then final 2 days in KTM. 31 days in total, just nice for a 30 days visa!

Unfortunately I must agree that Nepal is getting very expensive. In the lodges, food and drinks are more expensive than any places I have been to, but without the quality and quantity. Seriously overpriced and overcharged.

Annapurna 2 and the village of Ngawal
20170227_111915_zpsjosmrw0v.jpg

Last edited:

pureice

Reaction score
hi guys! Just a random posting! i be trekking in nepal on the 25th to 7th June on the EBC trail! Any peps there doing the trek as well?? we can form a group or just hitch together!

I got a guide already, as first time doing this trek! I did annurpurna circuit and ghorepani trek before!!

Do hit me up if any peps are there or just wana grab a beer! Cheers! :D

artemov

Reaction score
I got a guide already, as first time doing this trek! I did annurpurna circuit and ghorepani trek before!!

Actually for super popular treks like ABC, AC and EBC you dun really need a guide. There are not many treks in Nepal (and in the rest of the Himalayas/Karakorams) where u can safely afford not to have a guide. My view is that you should make full use of these limited opportunities to do independent trekking. A guide at best is like a friendly local babysitting you, at worst ... there are horror stories. Most of my AC trek and part of my EBC trek I spent with nary a soul nearby. The feeling is amazing. It's just me and the mountains.

Ekspakk

Reaction score
Actually for super popular treks like ABC, AC and EBC you dun really need a guide. There are not many treks in Nepal (and in the rest of the Himalayas/Karakorams) where u can safely afford not to have a guide. My view is that you should make full use of these limited opportunities to do independent trekking. A guide at best is like a friendly local babysitting you, at worst ... there are horror stories. Most of my AC trek and part of my EBC trek I spent with nary a soul nearby. The feeling is amazing. It's just me and the mountains.
Will you recommend not hiring a guide for a first timer in Nepal? How about for a fit but inexperienced trekker? And lastly, during peak season when most of the lodges are always full?

pureice

Reaction score
YEA!! i think if doing AC , dont really need a guide, information quite complete on the net and roads pretty chill. For EBC, i nv try before! But reading about the Cho la pass and the weather changes etc online, just thought maybe good to have a guide for the first time haha! Also maybe sort of help their economy a bit after the quake?

But yea! actually most of these treks if with ample preparation can do alone! :D and i prefer alone also, chillax, own pace and just enjoy the surrondings. Sort of like a relax route march HAHA!

artemov

Reaction score
Will you recommend not hiring a guide for a first timer in Nepal? How about for a fit but inexperienced trekker? And lastly, during peak season when most of the lodges are always full?

For a first timer to South Asia and the Himalayas, I would say it's a NO. You will get culture shock, environment shock, food shock ... though Nepal is much better than India. Singaporeans are also generally not familiar with mountains and cold weather. For a fit but inexperienced trekker I still don't think you should go alone, maybe with a more experienced friend. I read that most of the AMS dead are young fit people.

My first time in Nepal was ABC with a group camping trek from NUS. After that I realized indy backpacking and trekking is not something only angmohs can do. My subsequent treks in Nepal India and Pakistan were almost all indy except for the Kuari Trek (no teahouses!) in India.

I don't trek during peak season, but yes, getting a bed without a guide/porter during peak season might be a problem for the more popular routes.

artemov

Reaction score
YEA!! i think if doing AC , dont really need a guide, information quite complete on the net and roads pretty chill. For EBC, i nv try before! But reading about the Cho la pass and the weather changes etc online, just thought maybe good to have a guide for the first time haha! Also maybe sort of help their economy a bit after the quake?

But yea! actually most of these treks if with ample preparation can do alone! :D and i prefer alone also, chillax, own pace and just enjoy the surrondings. Sort of like a relax route march HAHA!

The standard EBC is even easier than AC/ABC, maybe because due to a lack of vegetation the trails are much clearer from afar. But it is also colder and dustier.
For Cho La and the high passes you shouldn't go alone, get a guide, a friend or follow other trekkers. Cho La has a glacier on top and can be dangerous ... I heard. Kongma La is very remote and Renjo La is the easiest. Crossing of big glaciers like ngozumpa and khumbu glaciers are very dangerous and you shouldn't do it in bad weather, alone or without experienced companions.

Yup preparation and packing are very important, mentally too ...
I love indy/solo trekking :s13: but if can find a kaki of cos better lah.

Bonus pic: Towards Thorung La!

20170306_070901_zpsd6tlwn5b.jpg

Last edited:

pureice

Reaction score
yea!! i am going through Cho la pass this time! Hope the weather is good! Nice pic! haha yea kinda hard to find khakis, but still prefer smaller grps to trek. After this trek, can try other routes next time!

I agree if going first time, get a guide or a group of trekkers together, helps u to adapt to their culture easier. Is a little bit like india imo. haha! Nepal is really beautiful, nothing beats seeing the snow mountains for urself.

artemov

Reaction score
If crossing Cho La you should really be careful. In some years it's not crossable at all.

I love Nepal too, a pity it has gotten quite expensive...

maumu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is it suitable for one to go to Nepal alone? is it a friendly place for non-locals?

for trekking, how long a trip is suitable to at least see some of the mountains and get away from civilization? is one week enough?

Whirling_Dervish

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is it suitable for one to go to Nepal alone? is it a friendly place for non-locals?

for trekking, how long a trip is suitable to at least see some of the mountains and get away from civilization? is one week enough?

Hey there, personally I have never been to Nepal before but I guess it may be slightly dangerous to travel alone, especially if you are going to do some trekking. Best to bring someone along, in addition to an experienced local guide.

This is especially so in light of the recent case where one taiwanese female trekker died while her partner was severely emaciated after they got lost while trekking in Nepal without a local guide

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-27/taiwanese-trekker-rescued-nepal-47-days-lost/8474862

Ekspakk

Reaction score

It should be okay to travel alone in Nepal, but if you plan to do some trekking, I personally think it's better to travel with someone / guide especially if you are a inexperienced, it's better to be safe than daring. I saw few missing person poster when I was there.

Lastly, one week should be enough to do some short treks. You can try Poon Hill, it's only 3 to 4 days trek, not difficult but also not easy.

Ekspakk

Reaction score
BTW... can anyone recommend a good 1L water bottle that is safe for hot water? I saw some trekkers using Nalgene, but I'm not really sure if it's safe to put hot water in it since it's plastic.

artemov

Reaction score
BTW... can anyone recommend a good 1L water bottle that is safe for hot water? I saw some trekkers using Nalgene, but I'm not really sure if it's safe to put hot water in it since it's plastic.

I used Nalgene, and I put boiling hot water in it for sleeping purposes lol. Not sure if it's healthy, but it's just for that few weeks every few years. You can try borosilicate bottle though ...

artemov

Reaction score
You can try Poon Hill, it's only 3 to 4 days trek, not difficult but also not easy.

Poon Hill is incredibly crowded. I dread the climb up to Ulleri, then to Ghorepani, and the cold morning slog up to Poon Hill! :eek:

Can try Mohare Danda for similar if not superior views without the crowd.

MrGoat

Reaction score
If trekking at annapurna, going solo is fine. Trails are pretty obvious for anyone to spot. But beware of time, locals and trekkers hardly leave the village after 4-5pm.
Im not so sure about EBC. Best is have a guide for this one if going through passes and glaciers. Suggest not going during summer period because of random crevasses sprouting up in the hotter periods.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.