US help.

WantedRaptor

Reaction score
500 sgd per night for hotel can get u some really nice rooms!

If u want to save n still stay at a high end hotel, try priceline n bid.
U can get 5* hotels for cheap but u dont know which one u are getting.
Thanks for the recommendation bro. I have the same concern as you. I saw many 5* hotel with good reasonable prices. The problem is I am not sure if the reviews can be trusted. Or if they engineer the ratings somehow lol
Wow, $500 a night? Unless you're clashing with a conference you should be able to do a lot better than that, even if you're planning on getting two rooms (because you don't want your parents stepping on your game, am I right?). What are your exact dates?
Hi bro, I check out the mosser as you suggested and I found out that they are somehow fully booked. I can't seem to be able to make a booking.
I also went to Google/YouTube the park central hotel and I am impressed with what I saw. Mostly likely im spending my money on park central.

Sent from tiongapore using GAGT

WantedRaptor

Reaction score
Wow, $500 a night? Unless you're clashing with a conference you should be able to do a lot better than that, even if you're planning on getting two rooms (because you don't want your parents stepping on your game, am I right?). What are your exact dates?
Im there from the 21-23 of may before flying off to Pensacola. I am not too sure about the game part lol. Would be a bonus if I can make some SF single female friends to keep in contact with hahaha

Sent from tiongapore using GAGT

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi bro, I check out the mosser as you suggested and I found out that they are somehow fully booked. I can't seem to be able to make a booking.
I also went to Google/YouTube the park central hotel and I am impressed with what I saw. Mostly likely im spending my money on park central.

Pro tip: forget Google and Youtube; if you're looking for hotel reviews just go straight to Tripadvisor.

Anyway, for May 21-23 I'm finding:
  • Omni Hotel: $240 USD/night
  • Park Central: $215 USD/night if you book directly through Starwood (starwood.com).
The Park Central hits your price target ($300 SGD per room per night), it's nice enough, and the location's great.

a1v1n_

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I might be heading to US next week. What is a recommended telco to get a sim card? I'm open to data and non data sim. If getting non data sim, I will just make use of m1 data passport. :)

I read about sim cards not working on phone. How do I check if it will work or not? I got a very old Samsung S2 that I'm planning to use. :o

Thanks in advance.

Sent from ME using GAGT

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I might be heading to US next week. What is a recommended telco to get a sim card? I'm open to data and non data sim. If getting non data sim, I will just make use of m1 data passport. :)

I read about sim cards not working on phone. How do I check if it will work or not? I got a very old Samsung S2 that I'm planning to use.

It was mentioned here number of times - go to Best Buy/Walmart and buy SIM card which uses ATT network. you will have better coverage 3G. Unlimited data and 500min with H2O Wireless was $40 last time I checked.

lcpteck

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm heading to US (Maryland) around end of next month for family reasons. Might be staying there between 2-3 months.

Should I get a mobile SIM card or a fixed line? Problem is it's not long term. I will terminate when I return from US. I need a plan with no data or time limit to be used continuously for a few months.

Any recommendations?

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm heading to US (Maryland) around end of next month for family reasons. Might be staying there between 2-3 months.

Should I get a mobile SIM card or a fixed line? Problem is it's not long term. I will terminate when I return from US. I need a plan with no data or time limit to be used continuously for a few months.

Any recommendations?

Read my previous message.

a1v1n_

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It was mentioned here number of times - go to Best Buy/Walmart and buy SIM card which uses ATT network. you will have better coverage 3G. Unlimited data and 500min with H2O Wireless was $40 last time I checked.
Thanks!

I'm guessing this is for a month. If I'm staying longer, I can do a top up online?

Sent from ME using GAGT

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yea there is a tiny monorail that travelz between the terminals.
It is indoors and feels like a "toy" monorail. Very small n tight.

One of the food courts has Chick Fil A.
Try their nuggets or chicken sandwich.
Very tasty!

Thanks!

Anyone familiar with Houston (IAH) airport?

Arriving at terminal E and need to catch a domestic flight at terminal B. What's the best way? I read that there is a tram. Is this like our sky train?

Sent from ME using GAGT

engshing

Master Member
Reaction score
will be heading to Chicago on the weekend of 2nd April. reached at o hare 845am and leaving sunday at 715pm.
watching a NBA game (Bulls vs Piston) on sat night at 7pm.

anything to do for the rest of the time??? recommendations greatly appreciated.
any must visit places for Chicago?

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends on what u like to do.

Chicago has some rather good museums.
The aquarium is not bad too.

Some steakhouses are quite good too but if u already live in the usa, dont have to visit them.

There is a newish lake front sculptures park. Quite a nice stroll.

The area around Chicago stadium isnt very safe so dont hang out there after the game is over.

will be heading to Chicago on the weekend of 2nd April. reached at o hare 845am and leaving sunday at 715pm.
watching a NBA game (Bulls vs Piston) on sat night at 7pm.

anything to do for the rest of the time??? recommendations greatly appreciated.
any must visit places for Chicago?

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
are US brands like polo ralph lauren, Levi's, CK etc generally cheaper in san francisco than in sg?

They are generally cheaper in USA than Singapore
Just go online and compare with Sg retail price

https://m.ralphlauren.com/#/?_k=5id1qz

Outlet do make lower quality stuff but if you wash it hard you maybe better off with 2 outlet items vs 1 in store item.
For ladies before it gets worn out its out of fashion time to get rid.
Concern with quality over brand go tailor in Malaysia, Thailand etc cheaper higher quality than branded. Why travel to USA by polo shirt. Nice Italian ones over time also turn yellow.

Outlet no outlet they still read all made in Mexico or China for the most part.

Last edited:

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
are US brands like polo ralph lauren, Levi's, CK etc generally cheaper in san francisco than in sg?

Yeah, vastly cheaper. A pair of Levis is about $40 USD over here.

Pro tip: don't be sucked in by the outlet malls; the brands make lower-quality clothes specifically for the outlet mall market. It's almost never the out-of-season or priced-to-sell stuff.

You're better off going to the shops, paying retail (American retailers love a sale, so stuff is almost always discounted), and getting the real thing for slightly more money.

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score

Pro tip: don't be sucked in by the outlet malls; the brands make lower-quality clothes specifically for the outlet mall market. It's almost never the out-of-season or priced-to-sell stuff.

You're better off going to the shops, paying retail (American retailers love a sale, so stuff is almost always discounted), and getting the real thing for slightly more money.

Another suggestion - if you are staying for a week or more and in one place, sign up for Amazon prime and order bunch of different stuff and different sizes from merchants offering Prime and 2 days free shipping. Once you find out your sizes you can return what not needed and order more.

Last year I've ordered 7 pairs of Vibram Five Finger over the course of four order-return until I found my size.

prayhard83

Master Member
Reaction score

thanks! the premium outlets are quite far off from SF too. Will check out the levi's flagship store at Market Street!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.