US help.

Joseison

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Parmesean!

Yup I read parking is expensive in the city, probably using the car for road trips and to office only. Otherwise likely using the tram/muni or even uber :)

Regarding Disneyland, I would recommend at least 3 days devoted to it, and get a park hopper, it comes in really useful.

Have you considered driving down the pacific highway from San Francisco, it's a beautiful drive, amazing scenery. It is a 10 hour drive though, so....

Regarding driving in SF, parking gets really expensive, but if you have a place to park, then sure. Most SF natives just Uber or Lyft everywhere, so that is something to consider.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow, just by looking at the photo, got me all hungry already.

Thanks for recommending it! Will add it to my list too!

Beware with Sotto Mare, the queues can be ginormous - I've been quoted a two-and-a-half hour wait time when I've been there around dinner time on a weeknight. Your best bet is to get there really early - around 5pm if you possibly can.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Asking for Shiny's confirmation, but when I was living in SF Bay Area for 15 years, one of the thing was to DO NOT eat seafood 'next to water/touristy places'.

Yeah - don't eat at Pier 39, it's just not going to be as good, and it's going to be crowded and noisy and miserable.

For that matter, if OP's in Hayes Valley and likes seafood: try the mussels at Chez Maman West!

Parmesean

Reaction score
Yeah - don't eat at Pier 39, it's just not going to be as good, and it's going to be crowded and noisy and miserable.

For that matter, if OP's in Hayes Valley and likes seafood: try the mussels at Chez Maman West!

Agreed, pier 39 is a huge tourist trap, fun to visit and take photos, but everything there is just more expensive.

oohman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If shopping in US, is using credit card or cash is better.
Wud u lose a lot by using credit card wrt to exchange rates. I have both mastercard and amex

Parmesean

Reaction score
Wud u lose a lot by using credit card wrt to exchange rates. I have both mastercard and amex

Both are still widely used. Of course, if you are there on holiday, then you should use cash, as the money you exchanged would definitely have a better exchange rate than the banks.

Keep in mind that if you use cash, you will end up with lots of coins....

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
Both are still widely used. Of course, if you are there on holiday, then you should use cash, as the money you exchanged would definitely have a better exchange rate than the banks.

Keep in mind that if you use cash, you will end up with lots of coins....

A lot of misconceptions and false statements in last two messages.

First of all, US in the country where I would DEFINITELY do not recommend to carry a lot of cash. Trust me as a Californian - I personally feel not comfortable when I have more than $50 in my pocket there and I am not talking about carry thousands.

Secondly, as I said number of times, now, in 2018, you will have a serious problem finding a place in US which does not accept credit cards.

Thirdly, yes, in Singapore issued credit cards there is added percentage for foreign currency which is depending on bank 1.5-3.2% on top of the interbank exchange rate. However, with the selection of the right card - which gives you either points/miles or cashback bonus - this add-on fee is negated. I am not going to discuss this matter here, if you want to learn more, welcome to Credit Cards subforum for your education.

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just use credit card. Else you have tons of coins, and when slowly counting your cash and paying, people behind in the queue will dulan as well.

Parmesean

Reaction score
My mistake for saying both a widely used. Yes, cards are used more widely in the US, but using cash isn't that frowned upon. There are some places that won't accept $100 bills after 10pm , so that is definitely something to consider.

To be completely honest, I carried around $5500 dollars with me for 4 weeks in the US, from San Francisco to New York, to Seattle, down to LA, finally San Diego.

Probably wasn't such a good idea, but when you're a student, and under 21, there isn't much else you can do.

First of all, US in the country where I would DEFINITELY do not recommend to carry a lot of cash. Trust me as a Californian - I personally feel not comfortable when I have more than $50 in my pocket there and I am not talking about carry thousands.

Secondly, as I said number of times, now, in 2018, you will have a serious problem finding a place in US which does not accept credit cards.

Thirdly, yes, in Singapore issued credit cards there is added percentage for foreign currency which is depending on bank 1.5-3.2% on top of the interbank exchange rate. However, with the selection of the right card - which gives you either points/miles or cashback bonus - this add-on fee is negated. I am not going to discuss this matter here, if you want to learn more, welcome to Credit Cards subforum for your education.

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just use credit card. Else you have tons of coins, and when slowly counting your cash and paying, people behind in the queue will dulan as well.

What I did, when I went to Tokyo, was to dump all the coins (plus the small notes) when buying things at the airport buying things just before the flight back, balance paid by credit card. So I do not keep any Japan coins, not tried that at US airports. That way, you get the better money changer rates for your bulk of your trip, while having only small credit card purchase at the airport at a not-so-good rate.

There are some places that won't accept $100 bills after 10pm , so that is definitely something to consider.

To be completely honest, I carried around $5500 dollars with me for 4 weeks in the US, from San Francisco to New York, to Seattle, down to LA, finally San Diego.

1) Split up your cash, don't carry all at one shot. Put some in various pouches/safe in hotel/hostel, if you have other (trustworthy) companions, split with them. If you get rob / stolen, you don't lose all your money.

2) The $100 bill thing is quite subjective also. The "official" policy can always be no $100 bills anytime (not even after 10pm), but they might accept on a case by case basis. I went to this Chinese restaurant (I'm asian), which has the sign that they do not accept any bills $100 or larger. However, when I asked politely, they accepted the the bill.

LOL, I've stayed in California for a few years. Would not have less than $50 in my pocket, definitely have more than $200.

Agreed, but still there will be some.

Not everyone is into miles/points or cashback, some might not even have the appropriate card with sufficient limit.

Last edited:

sendtolee

Reaction score
My mistake for saying both a widely used. Yes, cards are used more widely in the US, but using cash isn't that frowned upon. There are some places that won't accept $100 bills after 10pm , so that is definitely something to consider.

Probably wasn't such a good idea, but when you're a student, and under 21, there isn't much else you can do.

The $100 sign is to deter robberies.

Satki General

Reaction score

Just to clarify, how do I give tips if I pay via CC?

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_2016-10-24-20-02-10.png

(example image)

There's a space on the receipt to indicate your tips, to be charged to ur card later.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, how do I give tips if I pay via CC?

Some place already factor that in, usually 18%.
There will always be a option for you to give more.

I always fill in the total amount and ignore the tip section if u lazy to work the math

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Use a credit card.

You're not going to lose that much to exchange rates; the spread is a bit wider but not that much. And carrying thousands of dollars in cash - even if you're splitting it up with other people or storing some in your hotel safe or whatever - is just bananas.

Think about it this way. If you lose your wallet with a credit card in it, one phone call to Amex and they'll have a new card couriered to you in a day or two. If you lose your wallet with $500 cash in it, you're boned.

Compared to that security, paying a bit more on the FX spread (and most cards don't have international transaction fees these days anyway?) seems like a very small price to pay.

(And for what it's worth, I'm in the "I don't carry cash" camp as well - the most this Californian ever carries in his wallet is about fifty bucks, and usually it just sits there.)

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

all stores take cash and credit cards.
if U exchange $$ on poor rate and rates go up during your trip. U lose out isn't it?
credit card base on the rates they set, compare your CC card rates vs what u find at SG money changer and know the delta. base on the delta is that alot to you? for ppl who see $20 alot that may matter to u, alot is really relative.

I know ppl who rather carry cash and lose the money than have CC companies track their spending. tax implications held them back, your situation u know best

This blog breaks down the fees for SG issued cards back in 2016. Not sure if they still valid
https://www.singsaver.com.sg/blog/visa-mastercard-or-amex-which-is-better-for-travel

DBS bank has a break down.
https://www.dbs.com.sg/personal/support/card-charges-and-fees-overseas-transaction-fees.html

Last edited:

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
(And for what it's worth, I'm in the "I don't carry cash" camp as well - the most this Californian ever carries in his wallet is about fifty bucks, and usually it just sits there.)

My personal record is carry $40 for 11 month in a pocket and not spending single cent.

P.S. also, except banks and large retail places bunch of small places in US do not accept bills larger than $20.

Last edited:

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I only carry a card holder. Don’t even have space for cash anymore. If restaurant don’t accept card I’ll just go to another one.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.