HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

US Trip - NYC, San Francisco, LA, Yosemite etc

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #31
Supremacy Member

America isn't exactly Europe and Japan when it comes to good food. There's no die-die-must-eat. Yelp is pretty accurate when it comes to food quality and service. Some of my favourites below:

SF: Off the grid - gathering of food trucks every Friday. Fun vibe and free music. But I think they are close for winter...check before going.

In-n-out - actually any in-n-out along the west coast, just for that checklist.

Pizza my heart - california's best pizza in my opinion. Try the big sur.

New York: The halal guys. They single-handedly reduced the number of hot dog stands in New York because the hot dog guys started imitating them. Make sure you avoid the imitators. Best to refer to wikipedia for guidance on which cart(s) are the correct ones.

Shake shack - madison square park if you love queues.

Grimauldi's pizza.

Anywhere that sells beef on weck.

Vegas: Vegas is about buffets... I've tried the buffets at Wynn, Bellagio, Cosmopolitan, Aria, Treasure Island. They are all expensive and good, though I especially recommend Wynn, Bellagio and Cosmopolitan. These days, I just stick to Garden Court in downtown Vegas, which isn't the best, but is the value for money at one-third the price of the buffets on the strip. US$15++ for free flow of prime rib and scampi.
yup, in-out is already in my list, but will definitely add those that you have recommended to the list too thanks!
jujuhippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #32
Supremacy Member

i'm actually heading to san fran this week! i read that a part of the scenic highway along the coast of California is under repair (rebuilding a crucial bridge) plus there was this landslide on another stretch just a few weeks ago.

there goes part of my plan of driving down that route to LA. i suppose even goggle maps divert you to the inner highways.

i did buy a garmin gps from amazon. figured it's cheaper than renting one and more reliable than having to depend on the phone maps

not sure when the bridge will be up

*covered in the US thread*
do you mind sharing your experience when you return from your trip??

yeah i was wondering about whether google maps on a phone will be sufficient, or it will be better to get a GPS. Care to share the GPS that you have bought?
Old 19-06-2017, 07:27 PM   #33
Supremacy Member

The Halal Guys are around the corner of MOMA. Was there a couple of weeks ago.
thank you very much for the tip
Old 19-06-2017, 09:54 PM   #34

yup, in-out is already in my list, but will definitely add those that you have recommended to the list too thanks!
Actually, for new york pizzas, no need to go for Grimaldi's. Grimaldi's is my personal favourite, but you can just pick one from the list below.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/23/nycs-1...rants-5769533/

The reason why I like Grimaldi's is not because it's rated no 1 pizza in New York by Zagat, but more because it is located under the brooklyn bridge. I sometimes buy takeaway with a couple of friends, and I make the very short walk to the brooklyn bridge lookout and watch the sunset and the new york skyline. Rather romantic.

If the queue at Grimaldi's is too long, you can consider Juliana's which is next door. Juliana's is opened by the original owner of Grimaldi's. Shake shack is in the area as well. If it's not raining, then consider sharing pizza and shake shack with your friends and watch the brooklyn sun set?

If you have cash to spare, can consider Gramercy Tavern. NY's classic restaurant. Make reservations online.
jujuhippo likes this.
yxerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 10:18 PM   #35
Arch-Supremacy Member

My friend brought me to Juliana too. After pizza we went to Shake Shack for drinks!

My friend actually brought me to another pizza place (also in Brooklyn) and the queue was way too long, 3 hours iirc so we went to Juliana.
jujuhippo likes this.

Last edited by dilphinus; 19-06-2017 at 10:20 PM..
dilphinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #36
Arch-Supremacy Member

I will be in San Francisco in mid July. Have not done any research for to do, to see and to eat!

Currently in Maine. Probably heading to Canada for a bit, then to San Francisco via Chicago (taking the California Zephyr).
dilphinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 02:42 AM   #37
Supremacy Member

Some people prefer Yellowstone to Yosemite.
Yellowstone has much more wildlife to see including bisons and wild goats and deer.
Also the geysers are quite an experience.
So on the one hand I totally agree with this, but the only proviso is that Yellowstone/Grand Tetons is a hell of a schlep to get to. You've either gotta fly into Jackson Hole (expensive), or Bozeman or Idaho Falls (and then drive a few hours); and none of those flights are cheap.

The really hardcore option is to fly into SLC or—like I did—Denver, and then do a huge road trip up to Yellowstone and back. If you do this out of Denver, you'll need to budget the better part of a week and a half for it, but you can hit some incredible scenery: Trail Ridge Road over the Rockies; the cute little town of Granby; Medicine Bow National Forest; Gros Ventre Wilderness; the Tetons; Jackson village; Yellowstone; the Beartooth Pass out the northeast corner of Yellowstone; the amazing canyon drive from Thermopolis to Shoshoni...
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #38

So on the one hand I totally agree with this, but the only proviso is that Yellowstone/Grand Tetons is a hell of a schlep to get to. You've either gotta fly into Jackson Hole (expensive), or Bozeman or Idaho Falls (and then drive a few hours); and none of those flights are cheap.

The really hardcore option is to fly into SLC or—like I did—Denver, and then do a huge road trip up to Yellowstone and back. If you do this out of Denver, you'll need to budget the better part of a week and a half for it, but you can hit some incredible scenery: Trail Ridge Road over the Rockies; the cute little town of Granby; Medicine Bow National Forest; Gros Ventre Wilderness; the Tetons; Jackson village; Yellowstone; the Beartooth Pass out the northeast corner of Yellowstone; the amazing canyon drive from Thermopolis to Shoshoni...
If go in from Denver, drop by Canyonlands Nationa Park. Way less crowded than Grand Canyon and just as mesmerizing.
sendtolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #39
Administrator

Yea. Ditch NYC. There is nothing much to see in the concrete jungle.

If you are planning to shop, double check the state tax. Every state, the state tax is slightly different. So plan what you wanna buy ahead.
Old 20-06-2017, 09:37 AM   #40
Administrator

For Fast food, Recommend FIVE GUYS

Personally not a fan of shake shack and in and out burgers. meh.
jujuhippo likes this.
Old 20-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #41
Arch-Supremacy Member

For Fast food, Recommend FIVE GUYS

Personally not a fan of shake shack and in and out burgers. meh.
Five guys very greasy
This year overtook in n out as USA fav fast food
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #42
Supremacy Member

I will be in San Francisco in mid July. Have not done any research for to do, to see and to eat!

Currently in Maine. Probably heading to Canada for a bit, then to San Francisco via Chicago (taking the California Zephyr).
Canada - I assume it's mostly scenery there
Old 20-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #43
Supremacy Member

Yea. Ditch NYC. There is nothing much to see in the concrete jungle.

If you are planning to shop, double check the state tax. Every state, the state tax is slightly different. So plan what you wanna buy ahead.
nahs, we are going to do minimal shopping

actually I been to the US before, really didn't buy much except for a couple of souvenir T-shirts from those pushcart stalls.
Old 20-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #44
Supremacy Member

Five guys very greasy
This year overtook in n out as USA fav fast food
i'll try both if possible
Old 20-06-2017, 07:30 PM   #45

Hijack this thread.

1) if go LA-LV-SF for 2.5-3 weeks, is it too much too long?

2) is it better to do a loop by flying to la, drive to lv and fly to sf; compared to if I make la as my base, drive to lv then drive back to la and drive to sf?

First time travelling to USA.
Fattyboiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.