Vietnam

Poor old man

Suspended
Reaction score
January is the coldest in hanoi.. daytime around 12… night time can drop to 6.
maybe will have strong winds.

From my experience, its not the cold but the wind which really bites
So i highly suggest to make sure the button-up part of your down jacket is overlapping.

your visit will be just before the Chinese new year aka tet holiday in Vietnam, so you will definitely get to see a lot of CNY decorations
Shops will also be selling cny stuffs and delicacies. Perfect timing to try

U sound like an expert.
Can share with me Cat Cat village entrance and exit is the same ?

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the wind is very consistent?

so a wind breaker is actually better?

is ha long bay colder than hanoi city itself?

i know sapa is super cold and can drop to -5 easily.

what about ninh binh? the weather there same as hanoi? cause alot of walking and trekking, so i not too sure if i wan to wear too thick
In hanoi city itself… the wind is inconsistent and randon. Some streets will have constant wind

ha long bay is colder than hanoi and stronger wind.
Ninh binh i never been before around this period so I dont know.

you can consider getting Uniqlo Heattech
It works very well for me

kiryu86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In hanoi city itself… the wind is inconsistent and randon. Some streets will have constant wind

ha long bay is colder than hanoi and stronger wind.
Ninh binh i never been before around this period so I dont know.

you can consider getting Uniqlo Heattech
It works very well for me

oh i see

which means i can just wear one layer fleece jacket

i did wear heatech when i was in seoul, -10C, and i didt like it, cause got wear no wear, go outside is the same cold for me.

but when i go indoor, mampos, become super hot until i sweat cause of the indoor heater + heatech, then my skin start to itch cause the material will trap heat n moisture inside, so i end up dun wear.

then when i was in hokkaido in jan 2020, the temperature there is around -15C to -23C in most days, super freezing, but never wear heatech , i just layer myself with fleece shirt, fleece jacket + down jacket and neck fleece too, just nice, can deal with the ice cold weather.

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quite nice remote and pristine. I didn't know Hanoi got lottr
The hanoi lotte center is a 65 storey tower combo of Shopping mall… offices… hotel… service apartment… condo… restaurants… and a observation deck

Before hanoi lotte center was completed… there were parkson and royal city

paladin

Master Member
Reaction score
U sound like an expert.
Can share with me Cat Cat village entrance and exit is the same ?
Sapa has women tour guides, suggest hire one to help their economy, their salary not high too, and plenty of mouths to feed. Mine even helped me to bargain and advise me if overpriced and what price to buy at. Talk to the tour guide and find out about sapa and their culture there. Can even help you to hire private taxi if you too tired to walk back from Cat cat village.

cryn79

Reaction score
Hi all,
I will be in Danang from 31 Dec (Sat) - 4th Jan ( Wed).
Pls drop me a PM, if anyone will be there as well, to see if we have any common itinerary. Thanks!

paladin

Master Member
Reaction score
At HCM now. Places are crowded, like covid never happened.

tailors having good business till Lunar new year and heard many Hong Kongers and Singaporeans asking for the price of tailoring a suit, but balked at the prices of good fabrics, well, any imported fabric is going to cost in Vietnam. branded European suiting fabrics are expensive in the first place but there is a marked improvement in quality vis Chinese or Vietnamese mills.

for first time, realised grab can accept my credit card now, I do not need to pay cash. So no need to find exact amount of cash or driver no spare change to return me. Back in Jun, Grab auto change from Grabpay to cash mode when I was in Danang

paladin

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks. I bought seats on the 1st row of the second floor. Lucky still have empty ones on Christmas day and the entire 2nd floor is not booked, so I booked the centre seats. Was tempted to book 'aah' seats on the ground floor and move to 'wow' seats when the show started but I realised my child still cannot see if an adult occupies the front seat...
View from 1st row of 2nd floor was excellent, for those who bring their children to the show, strongly recommend to book these seats if on a budget

Kunkka

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
do you have any seller to recommend?
Shoppe got one I bought from. But only the mobile line with fixed data is viettel the other data one daily gb one is vinaphone but he gave me the lower gb one instead of the one I bought... Can buy in Vietnam also just go to any tour agency viettel shops.

Tpg data roaming there is under viettel

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
At HCM now. Places are crowded, like covid never happened.

tailors having good business till Lunar new year and heard many Hong Kongers and Singaporeans asking for the price of tailoring a suit, but balked at the prices of good fabrics, well, any imported fabric is going to cost in Vietnam. branded European suiting fabrics are expensive in the first place but there is a marked improvement in quality vis Chinese or Vietnamese mills.

for first time, realised grab can accept my credit card now, I do not need to pay cash. So no need to find exact amount of cash or driver no spare change to return me. Back in Jun, Grab auto change from Grabpay to cash mode when I was in Danang
That’s great to know about grabpay… in the past, i always need to top up grabpay gao gao first before boarding plane to vn

noobiee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks all, understand viettel is the preferred choice but any idea which vendor or seller can i buy from?

nomoreliaola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys - quick one - any recommendation for a trip to vn in end feb? going with a 4 year old ... all suggestions welcome ... end feb can i assume there is no cooling weather anywhere any more?

paladin

Master Member
Reaction score
hi guys - quick one - any recommendation for a trip to vn in end feb? going with a 4 year old ... all suggestions welcome ... end feb can i assume there is no cooling weather anywhere any more?
If you don’t want to buy cold weather jacket for 4 year old as they grow fast, then central Vietnam and south vietnam more suitable. Central Vietnam has more amusement parks and south more shopping places.

can skip the historical sites for the time being.

caveat is 4 year old can walk or carry and do not need pram, else very dangerous to cross roads or walk on narrow uneven sidewalks

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hanoi weather nice in feb, comfortable cool. hcmc weather quite similar to SG. but both don't have anything for 4yo unless u going VN for visiting?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.