Visiting BALI first time, need advice/ recommendations?

beanstalk6

Reaction score
@spurman

Uluwatu - preCovid, used to have heavy traffic enroute ... I go there for nice sunset views n dramatic cliffs (careful) .. n beware of monkeys.

For a different experience, can consider Kintamani (view of crater lake & surrounding mountains + market) and Ulun Danu Beratan (high altitude crater lake + garden), cooling air like Genting ... these are a lot further away from Ubud though ... BUT do check latest traveller's reviews to see if OK to visit, there have been reports that they r charging foreigners much higher price to visit !!

Never found out where I can view volcanoes in Bali. Looks like I have the answer here.
When your guide warns you about the monkeys at Uluwatu, take heed. Any external object is fair game. Hold on to your spectacles and hide your necklaces. If you bring children, restrain them (your children, not the monkeys). Hopefully the crowd has not returned to Bali in full force, else the roads you travel will be full of traffic. Better leave the driving to the driver or guide you hire.

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
xMAe8G1.jpg

Mount Agung August 2018, early morning.
Taken from Tulamben, 11km, NE of Mt Agung

There is also an area known as "Savana", NNE of Mt Agung. This is on my "To Do" if I visit Tulamben again.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Thank you for the introduction to Savana. Saw the photos. It appears to be the lava plain of Mt Agung. Reminds me of the land around Mt Bromo which is desolate.

Temptation Oreo

Reaction score
Anyone can explain how does the driver thing work? Like he stay at the parking location wait for u to be done with your business then fetch you, or everytime wan go off then call him and wait for him to come pick up?

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone can explain how does the driver thing work? Like he stay at the parking location wait for u to be done with your business then fetch you, or everytime wan go off then call him and wait for him to come pick up?

usually u hire the driver/guide for 1 or 0.5 day (or half day etc etc) and agree on the number of hours eg) 8hrs, 10hrs

then agree on the price

he will drive and wait for u somewhere nearby .. u can whatsapp him when done or agree on a time to meet

beanstalk6

Reaction score

It is quite flexible. You can ask him where he will be waiting or he will be on the lookout for you at the exit. Better yet, use WhatsApp, especially in the cases where you missed each other.

Temptation Oreo

Reaction score
usually u hire the driver/guide for 1 or 0.5 day (or half day etc etc) and agree on the number of hours eg) 8hrs, 10hrs

then agree on the price

he will drive and wait for u somewhere nearby .. u can whatsapp him when done or agree on a time to meet
It is quite flexible. You can ask him where he will be waiting or he will be on the lookout for you at the exit. Better yet, use WhatsApp, especially in the cases where you missed each other.

Do you usually pay first or wait until end of the day? In cash?

stupidog

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just to check, the restaurants / supermarkets accept masters amex cards ?

stupidog

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@invigo79

is there anything i need to take note of ? especially at the immigration ? i heard is taking damn long wan.

invigo79

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@invigo79
is there anything i need to take note of ? especially at the immigration ? i heard is taking damn long wan.

Make sure you have printed copy of your vaccination certificate and keep your boarding pass with the passport coz the immigration officer want to see the boarding pass.

So first thing they will check the vaccine certificate. Just look for any available person wearing yellow vest and show the person the vaccine certificate.

The next stop will be the VOA (visa on arrival) , SG passport no need so can skip (don't accidentally queue up at the VOA lane).

Go straight for the immigration. There are a few lanes, each served by around 4 counters. I went for the middle lane. Just look for the lane with shorter queue.

Show the immigration officer your passport and boarding pass. They will take your pic and take your fingerprints (index finger on both hands).

Next stop is collect your luggages then go for the custom. Prepare the QR code on your phone from the custom declaration link that I gave you earlier. The officer will scan the QR code then you can proceed to the airport exit.

Enjoy your trip.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

stupidog

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have printed copy of your vaccination certificate and keep your boarding pass with the passport coz the immigration officer want to see the boarding pass.

So first thing they will check the vaccine certificate. Just look for any available person wearing yellow vest and show the person the vaccine certificate.

The next stop will be the VOA (visa on arrival) , SG passport no need so can skip (don't accidentally queue up at the VOA lane).

Go straight for the immigration. There are a few lanes, each served by around 4 counters. I went for the middle lane. Just look for the lane with shorter queue.

Show the immigration officer your passport and boarding pass. They will take your pic and take your fingerprints (index finger on both hands).

Next stop is collect your luggages then go for the custom. Prepare the QR code on your phone from the custom declaration link that I gave you earlier. The officer will scan the QR code then you can proceed to the airport exit.

Enjoy your trip.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!
wow thank you man....with your guide then no need to get stuck at the immigration lol

tc4237

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
see ya there. im also going this weekend. fingers crossed not much rain

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.