THFC78

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
LOOΠΔ release a teaser image for ODD EYE CIRCLE

loona_1505574690_loona.jpg

THFC78

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
“Entertainment Weekly” Discusses Whether The Era Of Star MCs Like Yoo Jae Suk Has Reached Its End​
yoo-jae-suk.jpg
During its August 15 episode, KBS2’s “Entertainment Weekly” tentatively proposed a theory that the age of star MCs like Yoo Jae Suk may be at a crossroads.

A mixed group of celebrities, reporters, and others began their discussion by discussing what they deemed were the most popular variety shows these days, and threw around names like JTBC’s “Hyori’s Homestay,” “Ask Us Anything,” and tvN’s “Yoon’s Kitchen.”

MC Shin Hyun Joon noted, “Not one of this year’s top variety shows featured Yoo Jae Suk [as the main MC].”

Jeong Deok Hyun, a reviewer of pop culture, added, “(Yoo Jae Suk) is still doing programs, but it makes me wonder if his popularity is going down.”

Jeong Deok Hyun continued, “There are a few other programs [other than his current shows] that Yoo Jae Suk has attempted, but none of them have lasted. Objectively, it is hard to say that he is as hot right now as he has been in the past.”

The biggest reason for this theory, as noted by Jeong Deok Hyun, is the changing culture of variety shows.

Recent variety shows do not always distinguish who is the main MC and maintain a non-stratified relationship among the cast. In this sort of culture, the role of a top star like Yoo Jae Suk could be diminishing. Jeong Deok Hyun added to this analysis saying, “Instead of thinking of this as a crisis for Yoo Jae Suk, it should be seen as a need for change.”

Psychiatrist Yang Jae Ung noted, “In the past, Yoo Jae Suk was seen as a sympathetic, pitiful character. These days, he feels like he is the peak of self care, and so people don’t feel they like they have to support him.”

Not everyone was in agreement with this theory of declining popularity. Singer Lee Ji Hye offered a counter argument, explaining, “Yoo Jae Suk has a boy-next-door image, and so it always feels like he is doing his best.”

Editor Park Hyun Min suggested a course of action for Yoo Jae Suk: stepping down as a top MC.

Jeong Deok Hyun was in agreement as he argued, “The age of star MCs has already ended. It is difficult to see change in the programs that are optimized to him. I think it would be good if he was more active with guest appearances.”

What are your thoughts on this argument?

THFC78

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think their personality complement each other very well.....

“Hyori’s Homestay” PD Discusses Lee Sang Soon’s Popularity​
lee-sang-soon.jpg
JTBC’s variety show “Hyori’s Homestay” has brought unexpected popularity to Lee Hyori’s husband, Lee Sang Soon.

He has maintained a considerate and easygoing image throughout, earning the love of viewers.

About this, the producing director Ma Geon Young said on September 16, “The older generation of parents had the idea that if the husband was warm and kind, he wasn’t manly. As the generation changes, I think the expression of their emotions is becoming more natural. Although men used to hide the warm sides of themselves in the past, now, there are lots of men who are good at expressing themselves. That’s why they show that on broadcast as well.”

He then said, “It’s giving up on your own comfort in consideration for your significant other, and both men and women do it. I think it’s looking at it from a patriarchal society’s point of view to only say such things about the husband.”

Although there are lots of husbands on TV, Lee Sang Soon’s popularity is unmatched. About that, Ma Geon Young analyzed, “I think the image of men caring for the woman on TV was very different from what women actually wanted. In dramas, for instance, men show care for women in certain ways regardless of whether the woman wants that of them. What men think of as ‘consideration’ is different from what women think.”

He said, “I think the person who is showing consideration for his significant other exactly in a way that she wants is Lee Sang Soon. He’s not considerate to her because he thinks women will like it, but because it comes naturally to him. He doesn’t mean to be considerate, but he is.”

Meanwhile, “Hyori’s Homestay” airs every Sunday. The last episode will be on September 24.

buttbERry

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
“Entertainment Weekly” Discusses Whether The Era Of Star MCs Like Yoo Jae Suk Has Reached Its End​
yoo-jae-suk.jpg

i hope not

though IC RM HT3 are this mainstays

recently we have seen some pilot progs which are quite interesting too

i felt a prog good or bad depends on the PDs and mgt as well

just look at RM.. there was a long period of dullness.. but lately it has become good again

IC another one.. it was affected by mgt issues and these days its not as good

TwMilkTeaTw

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
HAHA.. somi .. machiam like on a date like that..:s22:

anyknow whats the OST when Somi couple is about to throw the dice? sounds very familiar but cant remb...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.