Internet speed fast but downloading very slowly

Newbie101

Reaction score
Hi, I have just put together my own pc lately and was really impressed with the internet speed. However, the recently when I try to download movies or shows the download speed is really slow. Results on speedtest.net shows my internet speed is around 200mbps but im only downloading at 30kbps. This is true of many websites i've tried and am really frustrated. Anyone have any idea whats going on?
My specs-
processor- intel i5
ram- 8gb ddr3
videocard- gt610
storage- 2tb
os- windows 8.1
mobo -b85

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Wired connection?

You downloading via Torrent or ??

Newbie101

Reaction score
WiFi, I have a 300Mbps fibre plan with M1. All forms of downloading are slow, direct download and torrenting. Speedtest.net shows about 180Mbps download speed. Pingtest gives a B* for my ping, ran glastnost test to confirm that my ISP isn't throttling my connection(they shouldn't too, since its an unlimited plan). System restore didn't help either...

isaacfok

Reaction score
WiFi, I have a 300Mbps fibre plan with M1. All forms of downloading are slow, direct download and torrenting. Speedtest.net shows about 180Mbps download speed. Pingtest gives a B* for my ping, ran glastnost test to confirm that my ISP isn't throttling my connection(they shouldn't too, since its an unlimited plan). System restore didn't help either...

Try testing with a wired connection first. There are alot more factors to consider when using WiFi. If you still get the same poor performance, then call up M1. Sometimes they can do some adjustments from their backend.

Newbie101

Reaction score
Thanks for replying! But cable isn't really an option for me. My router is really far from my pc and i don't have an ethernet cable that long. Still, on wifi, i didn't used to have a problem. I read online that M1 throttles the internet usage from 2pm - 2am. My speed is better outside this period of time but its still not what i used to have. Is it possible for M1 to throttle my internet when i'm downloading illegally? In which case can I stop them from doing so?

hlots123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
control panel> internet options> connections> lan settings> automatically detect settings

curious, can u check setting to see if box is ticked? if so, can u untick to test any diff...?

Newbie101

Reaction score
I live upstairs, my router is downstairs. The distance is over 10m.
The automatically detect box is checked.

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If u live upstairs and the signal strength is not strong. How do u expect the speed to be good?

Newbie101

Reaction score
The signal strength is pretty strong(all four bars are up), but I just don't have a cable to make a wired connection if I wanted to. Unticking the box doesn't do anything...

isaacfok

Reaction score
You need to eliminate the possibilities one by one. So if you need to, I suggest you carry your PC downstairs and setup next to your modem and router:

1. Direct connection to your modem - if your internet speed is ok, then the problem lies in your home network somewhere. If your still encounter problem here, call M1 for help.

2. Direct connection to your network router - if your internet speed is ok, then the problem lies in your WiFi connection/configuration somewhere. If you encounter problem here, then it might be a problem with your router configuration or PC network configuration. In this case call the gurus around here =:p

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.