OEM or Original Windows 10?

es0teric

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, should I get OEM or Original version? My concern is regards to changing/adding new PC parts. As I heard OEM version doesn't allow to change or upgrade parts unless inform Microsoft?

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OEM version is also original software. However, this version will tie to the machine that is used to activate it. Once activated, it can only reinstall in the same machine. Once the machine is scraped, the Windows cannot be reused.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ation-to/956244a0-385d-4e21-a21e-87b4179111d1

I think upgrading (RAM, CPU, graphic card, PSU, hard disk or SSD) is not a problem. It might trigger a reactivation. Cannot change the motherboard to another model or make.

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OEM or Retail version, not original as both are original & legal.

OEM as explained above.

Retail version cost expensive but you can move & activate to another computer for 3 times.
Once the other is activated, the previous will no longer be able to use; and it will be auto de-activated.
This means able to use 4 times, on only ONE computer Each time, no reverse as it count as new activation.
:D:s13::)

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OEM or Retail version, not original as both are original & legal.

OEM as explained above.

Retail version cost expensive but you can move & activate to another computer for 3 times.
Once the other is activated, the previous will no longer be able to use; and it will be auto de-activated.
This means able to use 4 times, on only ONE computer Each time, no reverse as it count as new activation.
:D:s13::)

Please let me share my experience with XP SP2 Retail. XP was the perfect desktop OS at that time. So, I thought better get a copy of this "perfect" OS before M$soft stop selling it and have to settle for the crappy Vista. :eek: I shelled out $500+ for the nice box and glitter DVD inside. Fast forward to now.... I can't find any motherboard that can run XP because there is no driver for XP and there is no update from M$soft. There is no point of getting something that is future proof where the odds of getting obsolete is 100%.

es0teric

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then may I will get OEM version instead since original version only can reactivate up to 4 times only?

alertz

Reaction score
if u are the ones who keep changing pc(change to latest socket/proc) then retail...
else, just go OEM since u won't be changing motherboard anytime soon....
that window version might be obsolete before u decided to change motherboard :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.