xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would the following work ?

1) Clone existing OS drive to a spare drive
2) Use cloned drive to upgrade to Win 10 & reserve the digital licence
3) Put back original OS drive

Will my Win 7 activation still work ?
Win 7 is very stable on my current setup so I want to hold the Win 10 upgrade till my next system overhaul.

Last edited:

jas1701

Master Member
Reaction score
For W10 you can use back W7 product key. Best is to install a fresh W10 and install back the individual drivers for the hardware.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody tried it before ? Please let me know. I know roll back works within 30 days but I would prefer not do that.

ngbc

Master Member
Reaction score
Anybody tried it before ? Please let me know. I know roll back works within 30 days but I would prefer not do that.

Confirmed cloning back old OS worked on the SAME system, just tested last weekend!

You CANNOT use this digital license on the next system overhaul unless it just RAM or HDD upgrade.

Last edited:

ngbc

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi TS,

Seemed like it's possible to activate the free win10 license you acquired via Win7 upgrade even if you change the motherboard after overhaul the system according to this article.
You need to linked the digital license to your Microsoft account.

Do let us know if it really work if you try this method :)

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yesterday i just formatted my com, install Win 7 Home when finish, i went to this link, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
then manage to upgrade to Win 10 successfully.

You can install Windows10 clean installation without installing Windows7.

I did it for my home PC which is a HP computer previously came with OEM Windows7 Home Edition. I boot up the system using the Windows10 USB installation drive and proceed to install Windows10, when ask for license key for activation, key in the OEM Windows7 key, save the trouble of installing Windows7 altogether.

igarashi

Reaction score
You can install Windows10 clean installation without installing Windows7.

I did it for my home PC which is a HP computer previously came with OEM Windows7 Home Edition. I boot up the system using the Windows10 USB installation drive and proceed to install Windows10, when ask for license key for activation, key in the OEM Windows7 key, save the trouble of installing Windows7 altogether.

Oh ok.... didn't have the Windows 10 USB drive so just install Win 7 first. Anyway next formatting will need to purchase Win 10 already.

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Oh ok.... didn't have the Windows 10 USB drive so just install Win 7 first. Anyway next formatting will need to purchase Win 10 already.

No purchase required, download the Windows 10 Installation Media from here.

Select Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC (click to show more or less information) to create a bootable USB installation drive. Bootup the system using the USB drive and proceed to clean install Windows 10 directly without the need to install Windows7.

Even though the free-to-upgrade officially ended according to Microsoft, you can still free upgrade the Windows7 to Windows10 legally without the need to purchase a separate license for Windows10 as long as you have a legit OEM/retail Win7/8/8.1 installation key.

andyhtc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I installed Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10. So it works.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Suggest to turn off Auto Windows Updates.
Switch to manual.
Auto updates MS may check their database on your keys validity, especially computers are always online.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would the following work ?

1) Clone existing OS drive to a spare drive
2) Use cloned drive to upgrade to Win 10 & reserve the digital licence
3) Put back original OS drive

Will my Win 7 activation still work ?
Win 7 is very stable on my current setup so I want to hold the Win 10 upgrade till my next system overhaul.
It should work without any issue.
Like having dual OS on same computer.

Anyway as Win 7 is retail means can use to pass to 4 computers.
Unless it is OEM which is for one computer.

The Win 10 would not work on another computer &or major system overhaul.

bentonfraser_4ever

Reaction score
Suggest to turn off Auto Windows Updates.
Switch to manual.
Auto updates MS may check their database on your keys validity, especially computers are always online.

But do you think this will work when the OS is already prompting me many times and I keep bypassing it..? :( I'm very scared of compatibility issues if I do go through with the whole process. And my antivirus also out of date liao at the same time.. I don't want to buy la esp for this old laptop that's already almost 3yrs old! :(

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But do you think this will work when the OS is already prompting me many times and I keep bypassing it..? :( I'm very scared of compatibility issues if I do go through with the whole process. And my antivirus also out of date liao at the same time.. I don't want to buy la esp for this old laptop that's already almost 3yrs old! :(
Change the settings in the Windows Updates to manual.
Then it will not prompt anymore.
If you mean Activation it is a must.

There are many free antivirus.
As yours if licence it should not be an issue as support is available.

Compatible issues are common.
Need to google to check on solutions.
Worrying is not good.
As long the system works...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.