HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Windows 8 Pack

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2014, 02:47 AM   #1

Windows 8 Pack

Hi all, as my laptop is currently infected with a rootkit, I intend to reformat it. However, my laptop doesnt come with a dvd writer. Therefore, just hoping to get some idea of what software I should purchase and how I go about 'clean installing'

Currently running on windows 8.1. Should I get the full windows 8 version on usb? If so, how? What is the official price range for windows 8 full version (retail)? If the usb is damaged, should I download the windows 8 full version on icloud or dropbox, possible?

BTW, on Microsoft SG website, it shows Windows 8 Upgrade selling at $219/ $159. Is this the one I should get for a fresh installation?

Thank you!

Last edited by sgslave; 22-09-2014 at 04:46 AM..
sgslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 07:20 AM   #2
Master Member

My advice is try to use some free antiviru software such as MSE (Microsoft Security Essential, Avast or Comodo AV to clean you laptop.

I am assuming your laptop is some branded one like Asus, HP, Toshiba...etc
After that go to start -> All programs, look for something called Recovery disc.
Get ready some dvds and burn into it.

If all fails, just chiong to any shop in SLS or Funan and get the original Windows 8.
Make sure the package is not fishy (meaning is not opened before).
tungsten2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #3

Thanks for ur reply, tungsten. I'm using McAfee and when I run the antivirus scan, it will get stuck at 99% permanently and display rootkit being scanned but it never goes to completion. Now as the whole system starts lagging a lot, I'm hoping the clean install will fix things. Just not certain whether I should get a downloadable wind 8 or a DVD one. Cos if I were to buy the downloadable wind 8, I hope it can be stored online so that I can have ready access w/o needing a DVD writer. I'm using Lenovo U430T btw.
Old 22-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
Master Member

If you refer to this link, http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/...ug_english.pdf

Download the pdf and go to page 9 of 36. Take note of the "Novo Button"

Go to Chapter 3 - Lenovo OneKey Recovery, this explain and guide you how to restore your Lenovo laptop back to factory default settings.

If you have any data, pls back them up by copying to your portable hdd.
Once you have backed up your data, reboot the machine and press that button, everything will be wiped.

Your system will then automatically restore back to day 1 when you just purchase it.
Old 22-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #5

Hmm I heard my friends mention that we can reinstall wind 8 w/o having to purchase the DVD. I think you are right. I'll try when I'm home, thanks brada!
Old 22-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Master Member

Can you try this to remove the rootkit : RootkitRemover | McAfee Free Tools
Old 22-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

Is it really virus? My Acer lappy also using macafee stucks at 99% scanning rootkit
PsychoPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
Master Member

This is worse than virus.
I was reading this : What is Microsoft Secure Boot? Webopedia
Then out of curiosity, clicked on the rootkit link.
And omg !!!

Use this link instead : http://www.mcafee.com/uk/downloads/f...itremover.aspx
Old 22-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
Master Member

eg...
VirusScan stops scanning at 98% or 99% complete
https://community.mcafee.com/thread/60548
hlots123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #10
Greater Supremacy Member

Not sure if these works
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antirootkit/
TDSSKiller Free Download | Rootkit Remova | Kaspersky Lab US
Rootkit Remover | Bitdefender Labs

Some reads
Rootkits: Is removing them even possible? - TechRepublic
Detect and remove rootkits with GMER | PCWorld
Old 22-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #11

Thanks for sharing, guys. I've tried the below mentioned and none was able to remove. I even did a system reset and used one key recovery but to no avail. Gonna buy the DVD for windows 8 on Friday when I visit Funan. Lol sad, sad day.
Old 22-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #12

Is it really virus? My Acer lappy also using macafee stucks at 99% scanning rootkit
It is more of a malware and it is almost impossible to remove, even by experts. :/
Old 22-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

Thanks for sharing, guys. I've tried the below mentioned and none was able to remove. I even did a system reset and used one key recovery but to no avail. Gonna buy the DVD for windows 8 on Friday when I visit Funan. Lol sad, sad day.
Maybe try this (You need to look for the Windows 8 ISO file which matches the Windows 8 version pre-installed on your laptop).

Or this (You need the product key).

Last edited by koreanlover; 23-09-2014 at 12:05 AM..
koreanlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #14
Master Member

You don't really need to buy a Windows 8 DVD.
Since this is a OEM laptop, it should already have a Windows 8 key at the bottom of the laptop or inside the battery compartment. What you need is just download the Windows 8 ISO from Microsoft website on another PC and burn it to a DVD disc or USB thumbdrive.

Setup you laptop using the newly burned DVD disc and the Windows 8 key from the laptop.

Personally I would prefer to setup my OS using thumbdrive. It is very much faster.

Lastly, before you overwrite everything, can try this tool from microsoft : Windows Defender Offline Tool

Last edited by tungsten2; 23-09-2014 at 03:01 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.