Nokia Here Maps - S'pore map

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Mall directory has been there for a long time, just that more malls & buildings are getting added.

Just figured out Here Map 3D, just use 2 finger to scroll up/down to tilt the map plane. I accidentally triggered it.

Yes, new maps & block/building numbers added + MCE routing. Very nice update. Expanded POI too & a doubling of file size. :)

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
Does the map loses connection or stuck when you are in travelling in tunnel? or will it simulate and work smoothly

How do you see mall directory maps?

Thanks

Timbre70

Reaction score
Does the map loses connection or stuck when you are in travelling in tunnel? or will it simulate and work smoothly

How do you see mall directory maps?

Thanks

kpe yes, mce like frozen.

mall directory if available will be in blue. Just click on it.

Timbre70

Reaction score
When you are inside the kpe/mce and the map got stuck, how do you know what is the correct exit?

Before it got stuck does the it tell you when to exit?

as I mentioned earlier, no problem for KPE. It guided me throughout the tunnel without any issues.

For MCE, it somehow got frozen and couldn't guide me. But, anyway most tunnels don't have much complicated entrance/exits compared to surface roads; just follow the physical directional signs in the tunnel.

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
as I mentioned earlier, no problem for KPE. It guided me throughout the tunnel without any issues.

For MCE, it somehow got frozen and couldn't guide me. But, anyway most tunnels don't have much complicated entrance/exits compared to surface roads; just follow the physical directional signs in the tunnel.

Yep, went through the tunnel before. Its pretty predictive though, even if there's no GPS (based on the speed before you enter the tunnel).

It'll only get confused if you go through a road intersection in the tunnel.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
I don't remember having issues in MCE but I'm using my WP with data service all the time and Drive in online mode so I have AGPS enabled. Haven't tested without AGPS.

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
I don't remember having issues in MCE but I'm using my WP with data service all the time and Drive in online mode so I have AGPS enabled. Haven't tested without AGPS.

What do you mean by AGPS enabled? How to turn on AGPS? Do you mean turn on the GPS function/Location button on the phone? Not sure if AGPS and GPS mean same thing.

Here Drive+ vs Here maps, what are the difference?

Last edited:

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
If you are using your phone with data service, Assisted GPS will be on. It's location service using cell towers for faster GPS lock. It's also used to give a very rough estimate of your location where GPS signal is not available, like in tunnels.

If you use your phone without a SIM card, AGPS is not possible. To my understanding.

Here maps is for walking & checking building directory. Drive+ is for driving.

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
I thought Here maps can have turn by turn Navigation without using data?

Why need to turn on data when using Here maps? Does it eat a lot of data?

xtrememanix

Master Member
Reaction score
You don't need data for turn by turn navigation .

However to get your position, the phone requires GPS which is impossible to have signals when in tunnel . Thus when in tunnel, it would then use cellular data to track your rough position for the navigation.

The combination of data and GPS will give you the faster lock in onto your location and also provide traffic conditions .

I thought Here maps can have turn by turn Navigation without using data?

Why need to turn on data when using Here maps? Does it eat a lot of data?

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
You don't need data for turn by turn navigation .

However to get your position, the phone requires GPS which is impossible to have signals when in tunnel . Thus when in tunnel, it would then use cellular data to track your rough position for the navigation.

The combination of data and GPS will give you the faster lock in onto your location and also provide traffic conditions .

So do you manually turn on the data function of the phone when you reach/inside the tunnel?

Or always must turn on phone data for whole journey then it works smoothly?

Is there some sort way to set Here map if unable to connect to GPS, then auto turn on data?

My data plan is small, most of the time I off it.

xtrememanix

Master Member
Reaction score
I don't think the data part eats alot of data . I usually just leave it on all the time cos it helps to better search for POI and etc . Don't think there's an automatic function but you should just leave it on and try out for a few days and monitor your data usage .

So do you manually turn on the data function of the phone when you reach/inside the tunnel?

Or always must turn on phone data for whole journey then it works smoothly?

Is there some sort way to set Here map if unable to connect to GPS, then auto turn on data?

My data plan is small, most of the time I off it.

Timbre70

Reaction score
Although Lumia GPS can function w/o data/wifi, I frequently encounter difficulties in searching for places (yes, even saved favourites, past searched places and even my own home marked inside Here+), you probably need data to search for places, more so if input is postal/zip codes.

Otherwise, you might have to resort to find our current position, then from there enlarge your map bit by bit to look for what you want.

What you can do to further cut down the data consumption is, disable all apps background. It takes less than 1MB data for short drive.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.