WP 8.1 features found in developer preview

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
Graphics:
1r77.png

A score of 15103.

Surface Pro 2: 42201 (4th gen i5, Windows 8.1 Pro)
Surface 2: 15956 (NVidia Tegra 4, Windows RT)
Surface RT: 3262 (NVidia Tegra 3, Windows RT)
Apple iPad Air: 15067 (iOS)
Lumia 2520: 15127 (Qualcomm Snapdragon 800, Windows RT)

(no Samsung & HTC sorry! they are rigging the benchmark by overclocking the phone on loading the benchmark app)

Despite the rigging, it is still faster than Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 (2014 edition by a hair!)

Browser [IE11 benchmark]:
tn6x.png

417ms vs 549ms on Nokia Lumia 1520.
(not too fair, given the fact that 1520 runs on IE10 and W8.1 runs IE11. but we'll see soon :) )

Last edited:

bedlamite

Reaction score
The Surface comparisons are lol, 16k vs 3k

I'll def need to pick up the S2 in the coming months

andylyf

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Still no video. MS should allow the avatar to be customizable. :D Then someone can put Halo Cortana in place of e circle.

they sld allow downloadable sound too, i want JARVIS voice from iron man... :(:(:(

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Yah! JARVIS will be a great male voice. Add in his sarcastic emotion simulation & it'll be perfect! :D

altya1

Master Member
Reaction score
just got my Dell Venue Pro 8!
Ask Me Anything (AMA) regarding it.

Performance
I've no problem with its performance so far. Very fast, buttery smooth like what you'd expect from Surface Pro with i5 processor. (except for other more intensive task not related to user perspective)

Flaws
Its only the oddly placed home button on the top. (sometimes I mistaken that for the lock screen! I'd rather dell not have the button and let people use the Charms bar)
Plus the fact that Dell choose to place the Atom processor at the bottom, holding this beast can be hot if you are doing things like system update, photoshop. Tablet apps (metro/modern) are cool, less than 30C :)

Etc
Great viewing angles, excellent speaker, very solid build quality, feels nice in the hand..

Accessories? How can dell miss this! :(
Lenovo made a nice flip cover like the one for Lumia 1520

Battery life is comparable to my Surface RT. (Intel really outdone themselves this time, I don't know where WindowsRT will go.. since the advantage of going RT [ARM] because of long battery life is now over)
Windows Phone 8.1 + Windows RT 8.1 now? :) We'll see..

9zyj.jpg

Very good for its price tag of less than $350 SGD (Shipping twice included. vPost + Amazon), there's also free Microsoft Office.
You name it, run any Windows apps!

Unlike the 'so-called' Pro tablet of Samsung Galaxy priced at $1100 SGD that you can't do anything with other than blown up android phone apps.

-------------

Small, medium or large?

mxtk.jpg

Nice!, does it support 3G?

Price tag of $350 is tempting....

bad1986

Reaction score
just got my Dell Venue Pro 8!
Ask Me Anything (AMA) regarding it.

Performance
I've no problem with its performance so far. Very fast, buttery smooth like what you'd expect from Surface Pro with i5 processor. (except for other more intensive task not related to user perspective)

Flaws
Its only the oddly placed home button on the top. (sometimes I mistaken that for the lock screen! I'd rather dell not have the button and let people use the Charms bar)
Plus the fact that Dell choose to place the Atom processor at the bottom, holding this beast can be hot if you are doing things like system update, photoshop. Tablet apps (metro/modern) are cool, less than 30C :)

Etc
Great viewing angles, excellent speaker, very solid build quality, feels nice in the hand..

Accessories? How can dell miss this! :(
Lenovo made a nice flip cover like the one for Lumia 1520

Battery life is comparable to my Surface RT. (Intel really outdone themselves this time, I don't know where WindowsRT will go.. since the advantage of going RT [ARM] because of long battery life is now over)
Windows Phone 8.1 + Windows RT 8.1 now? :) We'll see..

9zyj.jpg

Very good for its price tag of less than $350 SGD (Shipping twice included. vPost + Amazon), there's also free Microsoft Office.
You name it, run any Windows apps!

Unlike the 'so-called' Pro tablet of Samsung Galaxy priced at $1100 SGD that you can't do anything with other than blown up android phone apps.

-------------

Small, medium or large?

mxtk.jpg

Hi LastBattle,

I have been using the Dell Venue Pro 8 for the past 2 months and I love it because it is a portable device and battery life is really good. The atom processor is similar to a Core 2 Duo performance.

On top of that, I can still install desktop program like AutoCAD and work a bit of work on it which is not bad thing. This version of Office is the full version and I think it pretty worth the price.

I agree with you that the home placement is weird but I got used to it.

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
Hey guys...

I just got the Surface 2, and I seems to like it better as compared to the Dell Venue 8 for productivity on-the-go.
The lack of a keyboard seems the be the reason I am selling it..

The Metro/modern environment seems to already have everything I need daily.. aside for development purpose which I'll do on desktop and Surface Pro.

Anyone wants this? I'll let go at just $300 SGD. Used for less than 2 weeks, excellent condition without any scratches.
Comes with full retail box, charger, etc.

Please PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
PM sent. Interested but have a couple of questions.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
I've been playing with my kid's Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 & while the interface is not appealing, the Google Play & Samsung Store apps are better than the website (& better than WP Store I'm afraid).

For WP8, the The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States) site is better & with this new update, we're 1 step closer to Android & Win RT Stores. Very very tempted to install WP8.1 without Nokia firmware next month... :p

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry to burst your bubble but Joe just tweeted it's first part of April. April 14 is when they "aim" to release the DP (actually RTM binary). Regardless, I'm checking Phone Update every few hours since yesterday again. Exciting isn't it... :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.