Xiaomi Redmi 5 and its variants

yiptw89

Master Member
Reaction score
Redmi 5 and Redmi 5 Plus launched in Malaysia.

Redmi 5 (3GB+32GB) RM679
Redmi 5 Plus (3GB+32GB) RM749

SBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looks like pricing on Qoo10 & others will drop further.

rolling_moss

Reaction score
The phone bootloader is not unlocked... Thus you cannot flash any rom. Got to miui forum and search for test point method to flash fastboot rom...you need to open up the phone and disassamble the battery for test point method..

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 5 PLUS using GAGT

thanks for the advice, will try tonight.

rAcEr

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Stuck in Recovery Mode

I will never buy a xiaomi ever again. So much trouble just to try and install the global rom and now the phone is stuck forever in recovery mode.

i successfully unlocked the bootloader (waited 15 bloody days), flashed the global rom via miflash and got a success status, then upon reboot its looping in Mi-Recovery 3.0.

My phone was bought directly from xiaomi official store in China.

What a disaster.

edmund_gan

Reaction score
I will never buy a xiaomi ever again. So much trouble just to try and install the global rom and now the phone is stuck forever in recovery mode.

i successfully unlocked the bootloader (waited 15 bloody days), flashed the global rom via miflash and got a success status, then upon reboot its looping in Mi-Recovery 3.0.

What a disaster.
When using miflash..use..clean all..do not lock the bootloader back...for your current situation..just unlock the bootloader and flash it using the miflash..leave it unlock..it should work...

Sent from Essential Products PH-1 using GAGT

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

What a disaster.

well u should have waited for global redmi 5 plus to be released :o

rAcEr

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When using miflash..use..clean all..do not lock the bootloader back...for your current situation..just unlock the bootloader and flash it using the miflash..leave it unlock..it should work...

UPDATE: I resolved the issue by unlocking the bootloader again. Apparently when miflashing i must have used the default clean and lock option instead. Only drawback is now I cant lock the phone back. Phew!

Last edited:

edmund_gan

Reaction score
UPDATE: I resolved the issue by unlocking the bootloader again. Apparently when miflashing i must have used the default clean and lock option instead. Only drawback is now I cant lock the phone back. Phew!
It's like that. Wait for the next OTA update and see whether can lock back bootloader..let's see how...

garychengjw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just leave it unlocked will do. Haha.

Sent from LG V30 Plus (V30+) #RaspberryRose ~ Red, Red, Red ~ using GAGT

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm...I thought that someone recently posted about the issues and fix for flashing global rom on the thread?

Hailgod

Master Member
Reaction score
the "fix" is probably from china dev to global rom.

the real hard brick happens when you go from a reseller global rom to official global rom VIA OTA. The only fix that could be used was disabled by xiaomi soon after its release.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After half a day playing with the 5Plus, here's a quick review.

Battery life is superb.. With all the unlocking.. Setting up, tried flashing multile times battery is still 50%

18:9 is great, especially I've a black unit with black wallpaper 🤩

4GB/64GB model has no lag on euMiUi stable rom.

Full Screen Gesture: Did not try Dev, so unable to test Full Screen Gesture.. Pity. Curently I can only hide the bottom 3 icons, but will need to flick it up whenever I need it. Having Full Screen Gesture will be great.

Camera: Using Google HDR+ Cam mod is sooo much better than stock cam. However still figuring out how to make front potrait works.

Size: Having come from Samsung Note series, its similar profile. Very Handy for an average palm. However, my daily driver is now a Mi Max 2 which is PERFECT. YES a little bit for pocket... But much easier to read and type.

Will feedback more as I get more familiar with it.

Price is similar for 5+ and Mi Max 2, what's the main difference between the 2 (other than size).

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Price is similar for 5+ and Mi Max 2, what's the main difference between the 2 (other than size).

mi max 2 have bigger battery life, screen size hard to gauge since 1 is 18:9 and another is 16:9. max rams and storage, max 2 comes with higher rams and storage models. wifi maybe as 5+ no ac support.

other than that not much.

andrewkb

Reaction score

Primary reasons for me keeping my Mi Max 2 is:
- Size. Once I've used the Max2 for an extended period of time, any other phones feels small now
- Max2 has superby crazy long battery life
- Camera on Max2 is better especially with Google Cam mod.

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mi max 2
- Better Camera
- Better battery life
- Better build quality(full metal body)

Redmi 5 Plus 64GB
- Higher resolution
- Higher screen to body ratio
- Front facing flash
- 1080p front facing camera

andrewkb

Reaction score
Mi max 2
- Better Camera
- Better battery life
- Better build quality(full metal body)

Redmi 5 Plus 64GB
- Higher resolution
- Higher screen to body ratio
- Front facing flash
- 1080p front facing camera

5 Plus has front facing flash????

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.