Xiaomi Redmi 5 and its variants

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Second this. I bought the base model, and even that was surprisingly good. The battery life has been superb, the screen is nice looking enough, and the design is definitely better than the price suggests.

Performance from the SD450 is surprisingly good. Not a gigantic difference over the SD625, and MIUI 9 is the smoothest MIUI i've used yet. Colour me impressed. Camera is okay in good light, and not so great in lowlight, but to be expected. Actually already better than expected. lol.

At S$160 that i bought it for, it's an amazing phone for that price. At that price range we're looking at like Nokia 2, or Moto C/E4. Other than near stock android, those devices still lose out. I have the Nokia 5 at home which is supposed to be a higher tier, and even that isn't as smooth as the Redmi 5.

Looking forward to seeing the global version here in SG, and seeing more devices with SD450.

its hard to justify a redmi 5 with the existence of the note 4x..

1080p vs 720p.

It's the faster 625 Snapdragon and 4100 mAh battery in Note 4x that kills any 5 series with 425 Snapdragon.

Pricing is about the same during sales for the 3GB/32GB variant. Resolution is also not a problem for custom ROMs.

Alexz_Hong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's the faster 625 Snapdragon and 4100 mAh battery in Note 4x that kills any 5 series with 425 Snapdragon.

Pricing is about the same during sales for the 3GB/32GB variant. Resolution is also not a problem for custom ROMs.

haha. oh yeah. the note 4x is great value for money too now that prices have gone down a bit. But screen and design not as chio. :s13:

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haha. oh yeah. the note 4x is great value for money too now that prices have gone down a bit. But screen and design not as chio. :s13:
How is the China rom on the Redmi 5? I just ordered the Redmi 5 Plus and have to side load the Google play services once i receive it. Are you able to uninstall the bloatware on it?

Sent from NOTE 3 using GAGT

Alexz_Hong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How is the China rom on the Redmi 5? I just ordered the Redmi 5 Plus and have to side load the Google play services once i receive it. Are you able to uninstall the bloatware on it?

Actually decent. I'm not 100% at ease about sideloading google play services in terms of the security aspect, but other than that working well. I haven't really seen any app crashes or FC and the performance on MIUI 9 is good. Sometimes when run too much can see it stutter a tiny bit, but mine SD450 nia and 2GB RAM, cant complain. Already much better than expected considering SD430 on Nokia 5 that I have isn't that smooth despite stock android.

Battery life is really good too, not seeing any weird drains, and the phone doesn't really warm up even with extended gaming.

Most of the bloat can be removed. even the folder with "promoted apps" at the bottom can just create another folder. overall kinda enjoying it. The front design reminds me of the LG G6 which i really like. Maybe I'll probably still pick this over the note 4x just for the design and smaller size. :s13:

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually decent. I'm not 100% at ease about sideloading google play services in terms of the security aspect, but other than that working well. I haven't really seen any app crashes or FC and the performance on MIUI 9 is good. Sometimes when run too much can see it stutter a tiny bit, but mine SD450 nia and 2GB RAM, cant complain. Already much better than expected considering SD430 on Nokia 5 that I have isn't that smooth despite stock android.

Battery life is really good too, not seeing any weird drains, and the phone doesn't really warm up even with extended gaming.

Most of the bloat can be removed. even the folder with "promoted apps" at the bottom can just create another folder. overall kinda enjoying it. The front design reminds me of the LG G6 which i really like. Maybe I'll probably still pick this over the note 4x just for the design and smaller size. :s13:
Good to know that the battery life isn't bad considering that it only has a 3300mah battery. 5 Plus should be much better. Thanks for the info.
MIUI 9.2 Global Stable ROM available for Redmi 5 and Redmi 5 Plus

http://en.miui.com/thread-1502126-1-1.html
Just in time for my 5 Plus :D

Alexz_Hong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MIUI 9.2 Global Stable ROM available for Redmi 5 and Redmi 5 Plus

http://en.miui.com/thread-1502126-1-1.html

Good to know that the battery life isn't bad considering that it only has a 3300mah battery. 5 Plus should be much better. Thanks for the info.

Haha, i wouldn't say the battery life isn't bad. I would say it's pretty impressive already. The more efficient processor and lower res screen probably helps.

Actually Global ROM not really out yet. The ROM here is recovery ROM for Redmi 5, and there isn't any official global redmi 5 sets for sale yet. Unless you unlock booloader and flash using custom recovery? :s13:

To "officially" switch to Global ROM i think need Fastboot ROM and unlocked bootloader. Then to unlock bootloader these days after applying with xiaomi still need 360 hours of wait time using mi flash unlock tool. lol. basically not anytime soon. I'm still waiting for the unlock.

kuma-mon

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha, i wouldn't say the battery life isn't bad. I would say it's pretty impressive already. The more efficient processor and lower res screen probably helps.

Actually Global ROM not really out yet. The ROM here is recovery ROM for Redmi 5, and there isn't any official global redmi 5 sets for sale yet. Unless you unlock booloader and flash using custom recovery? :s13:

To "officially" switch to Global ROM i think need Fastboot ROM and unlocked bootloader. Then to unlock bootloader these days after applying with xiaomi still need 360 hours of wait time using mi flash unlock tool. lol. basically not anytime soon. I'm still waiting for the unlock.

I think right now don't have any custom roms or recovery the redmi 5/plus?? Don't see any forums on xda, or is there one already somewhere else but i missed it? That's why i holding back to buy this. I really dont like to use MIUI..:s22::s22:

Alexz_Hong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think saw the news about Twrp being available for those devices? Haha. But still too new liao ba. Too limited availability.

I think right now don't have any custom roms or recovery the redmi 5/plus?? Don't see any forums on xda, or is there one already somewhere else but i missed it? That's why i holding back to buy this. I really dont like to use MIUI..:s22::s22:

Hailgod

Master Member
Reaction score
i think u can use miflash without unlocking bootloader when global rom comes out

garychengjw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

can update from china dev to global stable without unlocking bootloader?

annabellens

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, would like to ask if buying straight from taobao is better or buy from sg for the redmi note 5 plus? Apart from the price differences.
Has anyone bought direct before?

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guess I’ll have to flash it via fast boot once the fast boot rom is out.

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don’t think so. Only can side load the google play services.

can update from china dev to global stable without unlocking bootloader?

It’s easier to get it from Qoo10/Lazada since you don’t have to deal with the sellers from China. I ordered mine from Qoo10 and still waiting for it to reach me.
Hi, would like to ask if buying straight from taobao is better or buy from sg for the redmi note 5 plus? Apart from the price differences.

obichacha

Reaction score
Can option to buy from AliExpress instead of taobao.
At least they flashing to global rom ready.

garychengjw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Find it ridiculous for Xiaomi increase the waiting time to 360 hours just to unlock bootloader. Disgusted by the move and without any explanation.

Anyway, 180 hours to go zzzz

Sent from LG V30+ #DeepseaBlue using GAGT

ah_cleo

Master Member
Reaction score
Find it ridiculous for Xiaomi increase the waiting time to 360 hours just to unlock bootloader. Disgusted by the move and without any explanation.

Anyway, 180 hours to go zzzz

Sent from LG V30+ #DeepseaBlue using GAGT

15days? siao ah.. :eek:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.