Beware: Redbean Android Tv Box

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Roflol.......recommending amconics is as good as telling people not to buy from chop carrot shop A(red bean) but pls buy from chop carrot shop B(amconics). Either you are a fan boy or a staff of amconics promoting the shop.

So you claimed you and your friend bought many Minix x8h+ from amconics before. However, you dont even know exactly what price you paid! First you say Minix x8h+ is and i quote you "high end 4k android box that upscales and plays 4k 2160p videos" but then you proceed to say its not top of the range. Eh.....why so contradictory? Can proofread your own reply before posting or not?

Anyway for the sake of it lets proceed to amconics's website to see their so called "fixed and transparent pricing".
NVZMkCE.jpg

So it shows that they are selling the neo x8h+ for between $230-290. Not the "below $200" that you claimed to have paid for leh. Also if their prices are so fixed and transparent, why the need to price their products in a range rather than one fixed figure?

Hope you check the feedback for Company A.

I read somewhere that they also have some complaints with selling the Minix set. You need to google to find out more.

Nightwind

Reaction score
I am not the staff. Upto to u if u want to believe or not. I bought my Neo x8h plus in Dec 2014 circa and it was selling then for $240/-. That was more than a year ago and with the launch of Neo U1 which ouputs 2160P @ 60fps i though the Neo x8hplus price would fall below $200.

So it appears i was wrong. I conceed i have not checked the prices for a long time but the last time i checked the prices were quoted for each model.

They also have a FB chat and email.

The TS wanted a high end settop so i recomend this or the Nvidia Shield which is more powerful and can output 4k 2160p @ 60fps but that is on Adroid TV platform and not Adroid standard. If u go to Nvidia shield forum here the apks have to be side-loaded.

Me, my parents and my in-laws and office friends all bought from this shop. I was referred to them from another friend. So far no problem. They even will update the apps for me when i bring the box back to them.

I am not staff of amcomics but if u dont believe well....thats your call.

Roflol.......recommending amconics is as good as telling people not to buy from chop carrot shop A(red bean) but pls buy from chop carrot shop B(amconics). Either you are a fan boy or a staff of amconics promoting the shop.

So you claimed you and your friend bought many Minix x8h+ from amconics before. However, you dont even know exactly what price you paid! First you say Minix x8h+ is and i quote you "high end 4k android box that upscales and plays 4k 2160p videos" but then you proceed to say its not top of the range. Eh.....why so contradictory? Can proofread your own reply before posting or not?

Anyway for the sake of it lets proceed to amconics's website to see their so called "fixed and transparent pricing".
NVZMkCE.jpg

So it shows that they are selling the neo x8h+ for between $230-290. Not the "below $200" that you claimed to have paid for leh. Also if their prices are so fixed and transparent, why the need to price their products in a range rather than one fixed figure?

Last edited:

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Amconics also got many sagas before, saw those sagas in this forum many times liao. Remember during 1 show their poster said selling a particular model but when gave customer it was another model, sonething like poster said 8H+ but gave customer 8H. Also they promote a particular model under minix brand but u cant find that model on Minix official website.

I will recommend ACRyan Veolo 4K though I am not using. At least they have a present here in this forum and the name is not smelly.

Nightwind

Reaction score
Thank you for the info bro. I will keep that in mind although my experience todate with them has been ok.

For my next settop i am considering Nvidia Shield as it output 4k 2160p @ 60fps and also doubles as a very good game console. But its on Android TV platform so i am concerned its not as "open" as the other Android boxes and may not be able to directly load as many apps?

Can you offer some advice? TQ

Amconics also got many sagas before, saw those sagas in this forum many times liao. Remember during 1 show their poster said selling a particular model but when gave customer it was another model, sonething like poster said 8H+ but gave customer 8H. Also they promote a particular model under minix brand but u cant find that model on Minix official website.

I will recommend ACRyan Veolo 4K though I am not using. At least they have a present here in this forum and the name is not smelly.

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info bro. I will keep that in mind although my experience todate with them has been ok.

For my next settop i am considering Nvidia Shield as it output 4k 2160p @ 60fps and also doubles as a very good game console. But its on Android TV platform so i am concerned its not as "open" as the other Android boxes and may not be able to directly load as many apps?

Can you offer some advice? TQ

Just my own opinions:
1. to me 4K blah blah blah is not that important yet. buy 4K equipment but no or very limited 4K content to enjoy also llst.
2. I suppose Android TV platform is designed for TV stb, which means interface will be optimized for remote usage, instead of touch. This part is good. As for whether the app is open enough, we can always sideload the apk. You are correct that the apps designed for TV platform are not as many as the normal android platform, but you can be sure that those u can get for tv platform are a bleeze to use. For example Youtube TV app.

Nightwind

Reaction score
Ok tks for the feedback. I am not so concerned with the main apps like Youtube for the Android TV Platform. Its more so the apps for Korean, Japan and PRC dramas. Wife watches lots of these and they usually are hard to find on the playstore. I have to get the APKs elsewhere :( Duno if can just side-load on the Nvida Shield?

You are right on the limited range of 4k content. However i assure you the upscaling on box makes a big difference. I see 480p and 720p content upscaled on 2 TVs on same Minix Neo x8H Plus. One is a FHD tv and the other is on 4k Oled and there is noticeable difference when the content is upscaled to 2160p by the box

Just my own opinions:
1. to me 4K blah blah blah is not that important yet. buy 4K equipment but no or very limited 4K content to enjoy also llst.
2. I suppose Android TV platform is designed for TV stb, which means interface will be optimized for remote usage, instead of touch. This part is good. As for whether the app is open enough, we can always sideload the apk. You are correct that the apps designed for TV platform are not as many as the normal android platform, but you can be sure that those u can get for tv platform are a bleeze to use. For example Youtube TV app.

DELTAFORCE

Reaction score
Bro I am sorry to hear about your bad experience. You are not the first and wont be the last, its sim lim sq afterall. if u wana shop at sim lim u must be an informed buyer and know the exact specs of what you want.

There are some reliable and honest retailers in Sim Lim who will guide you. You can try Amcomics at #04-13 i thinnk they are the AD for the Minix settop boxes.

My friend and i bought many Minix Neo x8h Plus from them. If u need a high end 4k android box that upscales and plays 4k 2160p videos you can try this. Its below $200 i think. Its not top of the range but should suffice for your needs.

The prices of the Minix boxes are all available on the website and are fixed and transparent. They r also on FB

Good luck

Amconics ? Highly NOT RECOMMENDED ! If you think they are clean, you are wrong ! Same sales tactics and after that poor service !
Buy at your own risk !

clyp1973

Reaction score
I was at Sim Lim square on Sunday.. Saw the shop selling the red bean boxes.. Quite a number of customers inside...

Saw the top end box listing at $230 and now selling at $170.. Got some uncles bought through a tall guy...

I have never tried red bean products. But from $230 listed price to sell at $170, I'll check twice... And the whole shop seems to be a AT shop...makes me ponder even more...

By the way, the box looks really cheap...

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score
I was at Sim Lim square on Sunday.. Saw the shop selling the red bean boxes.. Quite a number of customers inside...

Saw the top end box listing at $230 and now selling at $170.. Got some uncles bought through a tall guy...

I have never tried red bean products. But from $230 listed price to sell at $170, I'll check twice... And the whole shop seems to be a AT shop...makes me ponder even more...

By the way, the box looks really cheap...

It depends on your luck.

If you bought a box with production defects, do you want to experience the same issue as TS cos there is no after sales support from these stores ?

keanteac

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thinking of buying a Redbean Android Box? I urge you to reconsider.

I am not a competitor, just a customer who had a really unfortunate bad experience with this company. I am posting this so that all my fellow singaporeans will not be cheated.

I was recommended by my good friend about this product and decide to go down and take a look. The salesperson seems very helpful and straight away recommended me their "Top" end model. they gave a very impressive presentation and treated you like their most valued customer.

They say that retail price is $230 ( they will quote you different pricing everytime u ask them) and I asked for a discount. I repeatedly asked if thats the best model in the shop and they say yes. And of course they gave.. And of course I bought from them.

I went back home to try out the set.. but to my surprised, it wasn't processing the 'high definition' videos properly and was very laggy.

I decide to go back to ask them to check if it is my set that was faulty. I could sense their hostile attitude the moment i told them that i have issue with their product.

Ask them to test it out but they seems rather reluctant and insisted that it is my internet speed (which is Fibre 1 gbps)that is causing the lag. So i tried it on their internet. Same issue surfaced. I was suspecting that it was an inherent problem in all of this model which i bought. and i was right. I tested on all the same model and all had the same issue.

Unconvinced, I went to test out their 'Mid End' model which is suppose to be cheaper and of lower quality than my set. To my surprised, it was of better quality. So I decided that i wouldnt mind taking a lost and change mid model if it is working to my satisfaction.

I asked for a exchanged to that mid end model. I was shocked with the salesman told me that i have to top up $40 for a lower end model.

I obviously wasn't please and explained that my friend who bought the same lower end model didnt paid such a high price and even offered to provide his receipt for his verification. But he insisted that I have to paid more.

I didnt want to argue, i just wanted to get this settled, so I said ok. Almost immediately, he went and took out a 'New' Set.

Then, I noticed that the set he took out was a older version of the model. All the logos and even model number was different from the display set which I was told was the latest model that came in.

And upon further inspection, I realised that it was a USED set.

I questioned him, but suddenly, all the salesperson in the shop came around me and insisted that i was given a brand new set. It was obvious, there were user marks and all the accessories in the box was opened and used. But they refuse to admit that was used. I was so mad that i took my old set and left.

No Matter how i argue, they will continue to cheat me, there is really not point in arguing.

Its a long story, but what i want to say to my fellow singaporean is that, please consider twice when you patronize this shop. I dont want to name the shop but do exercise extreme caution when you are buying a Redbean android box.

They employed salesman who will sell you garbage and make it sound like gold. I hope i will be the last one making the stupid mistake of buying from them.

Just leave the place like that without achieve your objective ?
Go kneel down and beg him then let people Stomp it.
You remember Sim Lim Jover Chew and his gang ?
All go Changi eat free meal and free stay ? :s11::s11::s11::s11:

imreallyugly

Reaction score
i'm interested to get an Android Box for my folks. Any good recommendation? Do not require 4k, full hd preferred. thanks in advance

bndreve

Reaction score
How is your box performing?

Just discovered my FIL bought this box during the PC show.

I also bought one at the PC show. The only complain I have is that the picture is not 4K as claimed. Other than this, I am actually quite happy with the box. Allow me to catch some movies and intend to use it to watch EURO 2016 starting this weekend.

Anything_Whatever

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also bought one at the PC show. The only complain I have is that the picture is not 4K as claimed. Other than this, I am actually quite happy with the box. Allow me to catch some movies and intend to use it to watch EURO 2016 starting this weekend.

You can test out your TV box device by taking some 4K videos (that is if you have 4K capable digicam) and test ...

My understanding is that so many media sites are still streaming SD/HD contents... and probably the reason why you won't get to watch 4K quality.

rECKleSSfElla

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

lol:s13: 4k just means the box is capable of decoding and supporting 4k media playback. It doesnt mean that the box will automatically upscale everything to 4k for you or the apps installed has everything in 4k resolution . If the media you watching is not native 4k then its not 4k quality lor. No wonder these chop carrot head sls shops and tech fair stalls are doing such good business as naive buyers are willingly committing to overpriced purchases without any prior knowledge or homework done.

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score

My sincere advice is for you to test out all the apps and ensure that all of them are working before you get any surprise this weekend.

medr135

Reaction score

I bought this too at the PC show. Tried to watch Brazil vs Haiti this morning but after 5 mins, picture freezed and kept showing "loading". Gave up after 30 mins even after switching on/off etc (by the way I am on 1 gb fibre optic)
Even when the game was over, the channel was still "loading" whereas other channels ok.
Hope this will not be the case for EURO 2016.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.