EDMW Knife Collectors

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
Guys! Seriously though, what do you guys think about ***.com services? How long do their products usually reach your place after orders?

*** is pretty reliable as far as I know. They're more expensive than other sites, but you can accumulate points. As for whether it is better to buy from them in the long run, you have to work out the economics yourself.

As for how long the products will reach you, you have to see the time frame they give for each shipping option you choose. That will depend on the shipping courier and not ***.

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Guys! Seriously though, what do you guys think about XXX.com services? How long do their products usually reach your place after orders?

NB: edit your original thread to remove e-tailer's details. Because the local distributors will protest to manufacturers and then the e-tailers will not ship to Singapore.

all the others have already responded, but here's a general gauge:

1. courier - under a week typically
2. USPS express or equivalent - a week or slightly more
3. USPS priority - 2-3 weeks

Singpost takes over from USPS once it arrives in Singapore, and that adds a little variable in terms of timing. All of us have encountered the 'tried to deliver but you're not home' thing where sometimes, we ARE at home :s13:

BTW, do a little intro on yourself....what are you looking at? what do you like? what do you have? etc....this corner is rather friendly :)

10_01mencret

Reaction score
NB: edit your original thread to remove e-tailer's details. Because the local distributors will protest to manufacturers and then the e-tailers will not ship to Singapore.

all the others have already responded, but here's a general gauge:

1. courier - under a week typically
2. USPS express or equivalent - a week or slightly more
3. USPS priority - 2-3 weeks

Singpost takes over from USPS once it arrives in Singapore, and that adds a little variable in terms of timing. All of us have encountered the 'tried to deliver but you're not home' thing where sometimes, we ARE at home :s13:

BTW, do a little intro on yourself....what are you looking at? what do you like? what do you have? etc....this corner is rather friendly :)

Thanks for the replies to all of you! I am rather new to knives. One day I was passing this retail shop, see some good looking blades and I am suddenly into 'em. I have quite a few bowies and tactical folders right now. I am looking for the Cold Steel Ex Large Voyager, which is sold way cheaper from the said e-tailer than in local shops.☺
Right now I am just looking for a folder that is of good quality. So if you got any recommendations, do tell me!😊

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies to all of you! I am rather new to knives. One day I was passing this retail shop, see some good looking blades and I am suddenly into 'em. I have quite a few bowies and tactical folders right now. I am looking for the Cold Steel Ex Large Voyager, which is sold way cheaper from the said e-tailer than in local shops.☺
Right now I am just looking for a folder that is of good quality. So if you got any recommendations, do tell me!��

Everybody seems to start with Cold Steel. It's testament to their marketing efforts and OOTB edges. I swear everyone has seen their videos or parts thereof.

I would say keep an open mind about what you want/like/want to collect. Many view knives as a 'weapon' or 'tool' for men who wage wars and stray towards the 'tactical' look. But in all honesty, knives are used mostly as a tool - in the kitchen, in the field (think harvesting, farms, gardens, fishing, camping, orchards, cabins, bushcraft, living off the land etc), in workshops (think carpentry, carving, electrician, sculpting etc), hunting (think native, skinning, butchery, field dressing etc) and much much more.

There are slippies like SAKs that are so much more useful and fun to collect than the latest hunk of black-coated steel with nylon, FRN, G10, kraton etc handles. Designed to deanimate sentries :s13:

I think urban tool haus (a local SG e-tailer) carries some CS stuff...or at least I recall seeing. Generally quite a bit of stuff is cheaper to buy on-line, although the increase in the USD:SGD rate has diminished it somewhat. There's also been an increase in the USPS shipping rates.

I don't know much about CS knives, don't have any, although I used to own a fixed blade from them, which I gifted to a native guide - of course, he was completely chuffed about getting it...especially when he saw how I could tactically defoliate my leg hair with ease :s13: Being the knifeknut that I was (this was in another lifetime when I was a greenknifeknut), I asked if he wanted to shave with the knife - and without any reservation, he promptly brought me down to reality with his "no, I have a gillette" answer:s13::s13::s13:

Last edited:

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
Right now I am just looking for a folder that is of good quality. So if you got any recommendations, do tell me!😊

There's the American Lawman on a certain drop website for a good price right now. I think it is a good deal for the XHP steel, but you might have to wait for awhile before it is shipped.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
There's the American Lawman on a certain drop website for a good price right now. I think it is a good deal for the XHP steel, but you might have to wait for awhile before it is shipped.

Thanks for the heads up. That Lawman is good and priced right! The tri-ad lock is tough. And you know with CS, the OOTB sharpness is whoo hoo.

I have been lucky enough to own a Demko custom in my lifetime so I will pass, but hell....you've just tempted me.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
uncle vespa only has old iphone. need to sell more knives to buy a proper camera :o but uncle vespa will share some pics:

(note: it's a shirogorov, with desirable traits (those who know, know) and provenance and seeking a new home too)

image_zps4fvdhkql.jpeg

I had some tirekickers but no follow-through or handshakes yet, so it's still available.

Remember, with the folder here, you don't worry about QC (this one is just awesome), no customs, no shipping, no GST and you can take it home immediately! :D Priced fairly although I'm not giving it away:s13:

image_zpsfps0xalm.jpeg

Last edited:

elingtey

Reaction score
Hi All knives experts
Need quick check does Cold Steel SRK 38CKJ1 and Recon Tanto 13RTKJ1 are made in Taiwan or Japan? Read review, they are good knives to collect, anyone know wbere to purchase online are cheaper and can ship to Sg? Do pm me if not convenient mentioned here. Thanks.

Stevejobless

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. That Lawman is good and priced right! The tri-ad lock is tough. And you know with CS, the OOTB sharpness is whoo hoo.

I have been lucky enough to own a Demko custom in my lifetime so I will pass, but hell....you've just tempted me.

OOTB sharpness is meh for both my cold steels. Yes they can slice paper OOTB but thats it. I can get much sharper if sharpen myself.

I feel CS has good blade designs but tend to use cheap/ crappy steel and most of the knives have unappealing fit and finish. They are users rather than collectors. But the latest XHP steel is pretty good. I still feel their discont. Natchez Bowie San mai III is one of the most beautiful fixed blade ever made. Anyone has one and wish to sell off?

Nat2.jpg

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
OOTB sharpness is meh for both my cold steels. Yes they can slice paper OOTB but thats it. I can get much sharper if sharpen myself.

wow. that's quite different from my experience. maybe QC has come down a bit, or OOTB for large blades are different. I also think you've gotten real good with your sharpening so your expectations are higher. At the factory, nobody is going to spend more than 2minutes on the belt sander sharpening your knife. At home, I know some people spend tens of hours getting the perfect edge.

which production company gives the best OOTB edge? I used to be happy with Spydies, but these days, it's a hit and miss. I like the hairpopping but toothy edges - sorta like those Emerson/Tom Krein edges. 600-1000grit diamond and off to the strop/leather belt :D

Stevejobless

Reaction score
You are right about the factory edges. I read they are sharpened on low grit belt. Then deburred and polished on a buffing wheel. I feel that this buffing process was overdone my blades. The apex is over rounded and have no tooth. Just slides over my finger and over tissue paper. My CS Talwar folder is sharper but also suffer this to some degree. This is one reason I want to try Bark River. Heard they got very good sharpening and QC in factory.

Yes I love that toothy yet hair popping yet toothy edge from diamond stones as well. I will be careful not to strop it too much beyond taking out the burrs as it can kill the toothy bite. Had the best results deburring with light strokes on the 600 grit diamond itself. This edge bites immediately into tissue paper upon drawing the blade. Dont dare to test it on my skin. :p

Last edited:

Stevejobless

Reaction score
Hi All knives experts
Need quick check does Cold Steel SRK 38CKJ1 and Recon Tanto 13RTKJ1 are made in Taiwan or Japan? Read review, they are good knives to collect, anyone know wbere to purchase online are cheaper and can ship to Sg? Do pm me if not convenient mentioned here. Thanks.

The VG-1 models should be Japan. Get the VG-1 version.

10_01mencret

Reaction score
Guys! Any of you ever had a Shirogorov? What do you think about Shirogorov F3? Also, what do you think of its clone? Is the original one worth the price or should I just go with the clone? I know they do have differences in qualities but do clones come in good quality? Thanks guys!

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Guys! Any of you ever had a Shirogorov? What do you think about Shirogorov F3? Also, what do you think of its clone? Is the original one worth the price or should I just go with the clone? I know they do have differences in qualities but do clones come in good quality? Thanks guys!

hmmmm, are you reading the posts above? you should because we just posted a whole bunch of shirogorovs! would you wear a fake rolex? or a fake gshock? (now, there's no right or wrong answer, just what you would do).

btw, I'm neither encouraging or condoning the purchase of replicas and clones, nor protesting against it. But I don't wear fake rolexes either...it isn't the same. I'll stick to my casio, thank you. I do have a clone knife I bought long ago, I wanted to see how it would fare against the original (I think it was better in some ways [blade finish] but worse in others [action, lock-stick, weight]) :)

Last edited:

widget

Reaction score
Last edited:

zzcisapro

Reaction score
Any1 have knife to recommend? Looking towards europe knives that didnt touch america yet(great quality at low prices before they landed). Loves my viper ten. So preferbly blade with center spine and bevel at 2 side

fishyy

Reaction score
not sure where to ask my question, but here is the closest i can think of.

anyone of you guys brought your small knife to Malaysia and back to Singapore?

if you're travelling by bus, you'll need to scan your belongings at checkpoint there. Will you be stopped and not allowed to carry the small knife in? or is there any minimum length or dimension you're allowed to bring?

below are those 2 i'm interested in, but not sure if it is allowed through the checkpoint..
no problem with being delivered to singapore through parcel, but what if at checkpoint?

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-key-organizer-and-knife-for-ever/description

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/klinkokids/tpt-titanium-pocket-tool

anyone has some input or experience before?

widget

Reaction score
I've travelled by bus to Malaysia and back to Singapore, through Second Link and normally inside my backpack is either the ZT 0900 with it's 2.7" blade or the China Gnome, with it's 2.5" blade.
So far I've never been stopped at either Custom althought they do scan my backpack all the time.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.