Air purifier? - Part 2

LoneReaction

Master Member
Reaction score
Someone did a measurement here in SG with PUB tap water and found that there was a slight elevation in the PM2.5 with piezoelectric humidifiers....reported in this thread (think it's still searchable).

Some more
http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/pollution/ultrasonic-humidifiers-in-beijing-an-unnecessary-risk/

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/127/2/e509

bstract

Humidifiers are commonly used in the community to relieve symptoms associated with acute respiratory infections in young children; however, clear benefits of these devices have not been documented. The Environmental Protection Agency has not found any adverse health effects related to humidifier use. We report here the case of a young infant with significant accidental inhalational lung injury related to dispersal of mineral dust from an ultrasonic home-use humidifier. The clinical consequences included prolonged hypoxemia, tachypnea, and failure to thrive. Radiography revealed pneumonitis, and pulmonary-function testing showed a nonreversible mild obstructive ventilatory defect. Because of persistent symptoms, evolution of failure to thrive, and nonresponse to inhaled and short courses of systemic glucocorticoids, an aggressive management approach was successfully pursued with high-dose pulse steroid therapy, which could be a potential therapeutic approach for similar patients. In addition, this case raises important questions about the safety of exposing infants and young children to humidifiers and emphasizes the need for further study.

I plucked out the humidity meter from my drybox, outside is around 60%, and in my room with aircon it's about 40%.. no wonder air is dry.

For the PM2.5 particle from tap water probably have to buy a filter like this to remove the particles:
http://estore.novita.com.sg/product...ier/demineralization-filter.html#.Vv5VHkfp2nd

sehsuan

Reaction score
The air con will pressurise the room and the haze will be pushed out.

Needs some new gadgets to confirm.

Bro, I think you got a little lost here. Where are you getting higher air pressure by using the air conditioner alone? Unless you're releasing compressed gas, as fire lobbies have positive air pressure to keep smoke from billowing in; I don't know how you're gonna achieve it...
Maybe by detonating explosives? Teehee

For the other folks,
Oopsie, haven't replied because I haven't read my inbox. I'm confident of getting Xiaomi 2 for 200 SGD, all inclusive of GST, shipping fees. And will include the 3-pin Mickey Mouse cable too.

But note - the lead time will be like THREE weeks... If you can wait, I can deliver (not to your home, you'd need to drop by Sengkang to pick up)

tanyj82

Reaction score
XM AP2

Just got XM AP2 today.

The API shows 39.

After 2 hours running it is now 33.

Do you keep it running or just turn it off ? 33 seems low for me.

Last edited:

momoeagle

Master Member
Reaction score
XM2 from passion living currently at S$235.89 after all options in, with 3 pin plug
With VIP $20 voucher, buying gift card, and using Singpost credit card, can hit $194.76 effectively.

This excludes any qpoints, or any additional vouchers that may discount more than $20.
And it comes with 6 months warranty.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The formaldehyde and TVOC meter is actually a VOC sensor type meter and uses a simple conversion to get and display formaldehyde.

You can open up the meter to see. Uses this cheap RMB 8 sensor.
It's the left hand side one. You can put it near a can of beer (5% alcohol). It will shoot up. Or you drink a can of beer in your enclosed room and then watch it shoot up fast.

It is probably sensitive but not accurate. If you want an accurate meter, get the DART sensor that is from UK.

Lastly, the CO2, VOCs, Formaldehyde etc follows ASHARE 8hrs weighted average figures. So don't worry too much about it, unless your bottom number shows a very high figure like > 2.000mg/m3

https://world.taobao.com/item/52101...spm=a312a.7728556.w4004-11616802018.16.5so8BU

TB13l8OIFXXXXcFXVXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_600x600.jpg

DART sensor, Made in UK

TB2.18nfXXXXXcUXXXXXXXXXXXX-762270621.jpg

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok, put it this way. Go drink a can of beer, then put the sensor under your armpit. (take out the outer covering, expose the sensor)

It would shoot up way past 2.000, red LED. Trust me on this.

Either that or you have those 0.5% chlorhexidine + 70% alcohol disinfection hand rub. Use some on your hand in the room and watch it shoot past crazy levels.

Last edited:

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The thing is i tried the device in the room without the air purifier on, just air con with windows closed. Left it on for hours.
There are some air movement due to the air con.

Reading for Formaldhyde is about 0.024 to 0.054
VOC reading is about 0.03

If there's something else, it should had went up higher.

When i switch on the AP, within minutes Formaldhyde reach 0.109, eventually reach 0.183. The higher the speed, the worse it gets more quickly.

I've also tried placing the device directly at the vent of the Air purifier, iirc it's 0.8x.
Maybe where it suck air has problem, don't know.

Anyway, I initiately expected it that it should decrease the amount of toxic in the air. I thought there's some PRC video on that.

I have a money plant outside at the balcony, that area is amazing, almost 0.000

Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The thing is i tried the device in the room without the air purifier on, just air con with windows closed. Left it on for hours.
There are some air movement due to the air con.

Reading for Formaldhyde is about 0.024 to 0.054
VOC reading is about 0.03

If there's something else, it should had went up higher.

When i switch on the AP, within minutes Formaldhyde reach 0.109, eventually reach 0.183.

I've also tried placing the device directly at the vent of the Air purifier, iirc it's 0.8x.

I have a money plant outside at the balcony, that area is amazing, almost 0.000

It's possible that the new machinery is outgassing a bit of VOCs. (not formaldehyde). Any new electronics too. You know, that new gadget smell. The glues in the filter as well.

Just open the windows with a gap. I mean i cannot speak for your place coz my place is quite high floor (pinnacle @ duxton) hence there is always wind there, in fact past few days with the NE monsoon surge i got high gusts that's high enough to knock over say an empty pigeon brand milk bottle.
If your place has little wind, open that gap a little more.

No need to be area with money plant. Any open non-industrial area would have very little VOCs. It's not a plant thingy.

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I actually did suspected the filter, so i took it out and run the device.
Indeed the level did not shoot up as much.

So if it's the filter, will it be the Activated Carbon that cause it instead, not sure, so the RMB29 filter may answer some questions.

If it's the Hepa in anycase, then every 6 months of replacement will renew the amount of formaldehyde again.

So hopefully it's coming from the machine.

I actually went to the park with the device, there's some recording.
Googling says formaldehyde can be created from organic compound iirc.

Some plants reduce the amount of toxic in air.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Clean_Air_Study

In case anyone really interested to buy these plants, Ikea have, your wet market may have.

Last edited:

tanyj82

Reaction score
Hmmm got close windows mind if i ask.....

yes window/door closed. I am in dengue zone and my wife pregnant. Thus, all closed to avoid mosquito. Not to mention zika virus.

Got my XM AP2 from Q0010 $186 after q0010 $30 voucher discount. Ori price $216. it does not come with SG 3 pin cable. Just travel adapter. I just replace the cable with my own extra cable.

Last edited:

whoooo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes window/door closed. I am in dengue zone and my wife pregnant. Thus, all closed to avoid mosquito. Not to mention zika virus.

Strange the reading dint drop but maintain.just keep it running as no harm

tanyj82

Reaction score
Strange the reading dint drop but maintain.just keep it running as no harm

How low does your drop to ? and how long do you leave it running ?

I guess my living room is too big for XM AP2. Just need more time.

Gonna use it in the room anyway. Just test run for now.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
testerjp,perhaps you are into reading into the meter readings a bit too much and trusting of the meter absolute values. I have mentioned before above and will mention it again. It is probably very sensitive, but not accurate. I'd not be worried unless it shows to be well over 1mg/m3 <--- i am talking about your meter, not ASHRAE time weighted values.

It's probably not the HEPA, but the glues in the HEPA filter etc. Same goes for your carpet, your compressed particle board, MDF boards of your speakers or some cabinets.

Also i mentioned it's a TVOC sensor. If you go into that page, Formaldehyde is a type of VOC and is a common pollutant identified in IAQ studies. There are a few tens of common VOCs in indoor air, and the list goes into the hundreds. In the office, it comes from the carpet (several years) and also laser printer. Offices AHUs have specific ACH with external air, that is how they keep IAQ to within certain standards even wtihout exotic AC mix, gas cells made from chemicals. That is why the term TVOC / Total Volatile Organic Compounds term is coined and used. In IAQ speak, there are several hundreds of VOCs involved.

VOCs in a room are nearly the same as haze. PM2.5 requires a certain CADR in the room for it to be effective and drop fast enough within that few hours that you are in the room, preferably within 20 mins cleaning time Those plant air purifiers with fans in the roots or what you see here or in the 2015 El Nino and haze thread don't work much, not 1 or 2 pieces.

It's the same as ioniser (assuming non ozone producing and way below 50bpm threshold), they do clean the air....but in a small plastic bag / tank then you can see the result. In a room , forget about it.

I'd strongly advise you to relax and take things easy. I am very particular about the air i breathe in and also the water i drink, food i eat. You seem to be waaaaayy over my threshold even.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Note the word time - ie duration.

If it's a new taxi cabin filled with 40mg/m3 of TVOC (new car smell, gives those hypersensitive folks a headache or dizziness within 5 mins), then yeah forget about the time thingy.

Same thing for PM2.5. I doubt anyone wants to even do shuttle run in such conditions. Forget about 24-hr means.

x9PpiFx.jpg

whoooo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How low does your drop to ? and how long do you leave it running ?

I guess my living room is too big for XM AP2. Just need more time.

Gonna use it in the room anyway. Just test run for now.

Living room big but 2 hr still strange lor. u try bedroom see how

I using AX40 but got the standalone meter as ours dint have the built in.

tanyj82

Reaction score
Living room big but 2 hr still strange lor. u try bedroom see how

I using AX40 but got the standalone meter as ours dint have the built in.

Just curious, how long does your goes ?

I been thinking may be it running at low mode, as the PSI is low.

Gonna try running turbo mode tomorrow see any different. It is too late now and it's noisy

whoooo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how long does your goes ?

I been thinking may be it running at low mode, as the PSI is low.

Gonna try running turbo mode tomorrow see any different. It is too late now and it's noisy

Mine is 4 room reslae. The living room i close the kitchen door running 2 Ax40 takes 20min to clean.

Edit i see u using low speed. Try turbo for 20min see how. Turbo mode is noisy and i beleive max time is 20min

Last edited:

MIVEC525

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
XM2 from passion living currently at S$235.89 after all options in, with 3 pin plug
With VIP $20 voucher, buying gift card, and using Singpost credit card, can hit $194.76 effectively.

This excludes any qpoints, or any additional vouchers that may discount more than $20.
And it comes with 6 months warranty.

no stock, i chk liao.....VIP voucher only u have...qpoints not many ppl have....

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.