Air purifier? - Part 2

tanyj82

Reaction score
2XvoEVm.jpg

WCEZozO.jpg

2nd unit just delivered
So what does the app ug/m3 says compare to the 3rd party meter ?

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With the review on XM2 by bro tanyj82, I'm Glad I didn't go buy XM1 that day. Think I still prefer my two trusty Samsung AX40...

Low noise quite important.
If need be I will upgrade to the 352X80 for the living room... Solid!
imo it's still a viable AP, can put in living room instead of your bedroom.

momoeagle

Master Member
Reaction score
no stock, i chk liao.....VIP voucher only u have...qpoints not many ppl have....

I just checked. Still in stock. Not sure why where you checked. It's the first option for the shop I mentioned.

VIP voucher, you just need to ask. Lots of people can gift it for free. But if you are like me, uncomfortable to ask for vouchers, wait for promotions. Just few days ago, there was $30 voucher for min $160 purchase, more than my $20 VIP voucher. Sometimes waiting for a while gives you more discounts, that's qoo10 model :x

Qpoints, just need to spin the wheel at qlounge often enough. I get free qpoints pretty often. That's another few dollars saved here and there. Might not mean much to you though.

Sharing my experience on buying from qoo10 only. I think I really need to stop buying so many things from it :x

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow half the price of a unit

Half the price of a XM2? The A80 is cheapest $439.

Blueair 403's filter is $120. 650E's filter is about $238 i think and smoke stop one with activated charcoal is another $100 additional. :)
That one confirm must change 6 months coz it's electrostatically assisted as well.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
imo it's still a viable AP, can put in living room instead of your bedroom.

Another line of thought is that you can use it in the bedrooms and put it into around 150 m3/hr due to the variable fan speed. Use 2 for the 2 bedrooms.
The new BTO bedrooms are very small. Extra horsepower @ well over 300 m3/hr JET guarantees happiness during PSI 500. :zonia:

The big resale MBRs might find this a bit of a stretch though. Caveat emptor.

Living room actually don't need put AP already then. The room has extra horsepower to assist in the living room during haze period.

Eg it's like my M8088A, which basically its high fan speed has the same SPL level as same as the XM2 in High/Jet mode (both measured and A-B listened at my home). I have never used it once in High/Jet mode since the last heavy haze season ended.

But during haze season it would be useful again i guess.
Either (1) Use in Jet mode and then throttle back later, the extra horsepower is useful or (2) Chuck it into a room which is unused, set into Jet/High mode.
Then enjoy in living room. Need to AC whole house, but that's ok.....my living room has no AC but i just switch on my 3 bedrooms.
It's doable and recommended, i tried a few times during 2015. The weather is really too hot usually during haze season.

Alwaysb

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up, just as i suspected. Same as the M8088A. Very limited usefulness in usual day situations. It's not due to the SHARP IR LED sensor module though (mentioned before one guy has a pretty good meter based on that), more of the lousy xiaomi circuitry.

But it would come in handy during 2015 levels of haze. That one would show the spike up. I mean, heck.....Sharp, Samsung etc all would as well. :s13:

BTW, that one is not PSI, AQI, API, not an index figure. That is ug/m3, concentration.

Hi, do you mean these 2 machines are not useful for normal use? If xm2 under turbo mode is unbearable, so xm 1 will be worst right? Still thinking should i buy from ntuc

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, do you mean these 2 machines are not useful for normal use? If xm2 under turbo mode is unbearable, so xm 1 will be worst right? Still thinking should i buy from ntuc

My recommendation is on the XM2. (I also recommend the Samsung AX40)
Not saying that the XM2 is not useful. The XM2's filter cost is great.
Also, the XM2 can do variable fan speed (XM1 is fixed medium), so it'd be useful specifically in new BTO's bedrooms.....whereby it'd be pretty quiet pushing some 150 m3/hr of air, which would be sized ok for that. SGD200 for bedroom AP with compact sizing, energy consumption is good, filter cost great, good styling for the XM1 coz it's shorter esp since in normal bedrooms, cloud mode, sounds ok to me.
A key diff is the XM2's variable fan speed control via the app.

There is a difference in noise in Turbo (simply because the CADR is more for XM1).

They revised the XM2's CADR from 330m3/hr down to 310 m3/hr. Maybe correspondingly JET mode 388 m3/hr down to 365 m3/hr. This is probably due to complaints from the case whereby some Shanghai testing agency tested many APs in the market and found a few units to fail the claimed specs etc.
Official site : http://www.mi.com/air2/

Key take-aways :

Measurement of levels in a 49 cubic metre room (or 16.8 sqm HDB, 3.6x4.6m or those new 4-room BTO Master bedroom size).

Can you wait that additional 3 minutes (21 vs 18 min) when you suddenly get hit by very heavy haze like 19th Oct 2015's WEST 471 ug/m3?

1125121407.jpg

可以看到小米空气净化器2在21分钟时将19㎡环境下近似500ug/m3的污染浓度净化到35ug/m3以下。两个数字中前者是国家PM2.5严重污染标准的上限数值,而后者则是空气质量为健康的最高限值,也就是说小米空气净化器2可以用不到21分钟的时间将极为少见的严重爆表污染状态净化到健康标准,而小米净化器一代依靠更高的CADR值在18分钟完成了净化工作。小米净化器2虽然慢一些,但效率依然不错。

I have the 美的KJ30FE-NV2. It is CADR 318m3/hr if i am not wrong.
So as you can see, not a lot of difference. XM1, XM2, KJ30FE-NV2 are all in the same ballpark. The Samsung AX40 would still be in the same ballpark probably. You would not notice much of a difference in real life usage, even with a laser particle counter. The leakage from the windows, say whether or not it's closed properly, during a heavy bout of haze makes a bigger difference, as some of us with meters have found out with our measurements in 2015 Unless if you bring in a heavy hitter AP like the 750 m3/hr 352 X80 air purifier, then yeah there's prob a diff.

003351256.jpg

Your noise level comparison

003351232.jpg

Not in the above diagram, but they did seperate measurements

小米空气净化器2
Turbo超强模式:63.5dB     标准模式最高档:58.2dB     睡眠模式:35dB
小米空气净化器
最高档:70dB     睡眠模式:35dB

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You never know... From some of the stories shared in part 1 of the thread I think, one possibility is maybe buy already go back, kenna scolded by elderly parents or unappreciative spouse for wasting money on this kinda 'bo liao' appliance. Maybe they refuse to use, no choice but to get rid of it. :(
haha this is one thing that is sort of stopping me getting one ap :o

Sent from my Rice phone using GAGT

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Heng my wife is supportive. Especially after this CNY visit back to her hometown in Indonesia. Coz talking with all the relatives, last bout was bad. My 2 boxes of 9210s were all distributed out it seems, in addition to the few pieces of 8210 and 8511 (also gotten from AMZ, but you know i don't really like turtle shells).

Talk is that as many as 10-20 have died over there. But it's hushed up, not say hushed up but not reported to the main capital coordinating. Heck it's Riau some small frigging town of 80k pax population, not Sumatra Selatan or Kalimantan Tenggah. Nobody cares coz all the resources and aid are there anyway.

A lot of elderly and children kena sick, and you know small towns don't have much medical facilities other than the typical GPs (risk).

About 10 years ago, my MIL kena a serious illness, ICU here etc.....had to ferry medivac on a make-shift stretcher.

Is no friggin joke. We Sinkies (I true blue sinkie RODed btw) have it good.

Found a vid
25 Sep 2015 over there. Looks like way over > 500 ug/m3 to me.
25 Sep morning was when we kena the Stop School order, Western Singapore had 356 ug/m3.

Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
GVGT better......
The Samsung AX40 is of the same dB SPL as the MFresh M8088A here in fan speed 2. M8088A fan speed 2 is ~ 300 m3/hr. I think XM2 is in JET mode by default favourite fan speed mode, i never changed the favourite mode fan settings, default out of the box.

Bought the XM2 for another guy. He authorised the test.

M8088A and XM2

LoneReaction

Master Member
Reaction score
For Xiaomi 2, in the app it shows coverage as m^2 and not m^3. How to convert to m^3? Times 3m ceiling height?

joej

Reaction score
Just got XM AP2 today.

The API shows 39.

After 2 hours running it is now 33.

Do you keep it running or just turn it off ? 33 seems low for me.

Mine starts at 39 and drops to about 10 after an hour in a small bedroom.

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I'm not wrong, I think 330m3/hr for XM2 is when you set manually to 34-37m2.

Turbo mode can make it hit higher but it's so noisy, it's unusable.

Infact when it's at 34-37m2 i already think it's too noisy.
I put the XM2 to 17-20m2, it's probably just around 200m3/hr. Still noisier than an average fan.

I think if i'm not wrong, whether 200 or 330 m3/hr, simply indicates how fast it clean the room and the lowest level it can reduce to, which imo the lowest level won't be that important.

So if it's hazy, and unless you keep opening the door in the room.
You can just leave it at lower speed according to your room size.
OR do a strong blast to quickly reduce before lowering the speed back.

AX40 is really more quiet, can lean closer to the wall and it pushes the air to a direction which circulates the air.

Last edited:

plasticpistola

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With the review on XM2 by bro tanyj82, I'm Glad I didn't go buy XM1 that day. Think I still prefer my two trusty Samsung AX40...

Low noise quite important.
If need be I will upgrade to the 352X80 for the living room... Solid!

bro i will wait in anticipation for your 352X80 review!!

Asakura

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thats why its CADR aka CLEAN AIR DELIVERY RATE

I think if i'm not wrong, whether 200 or 330 m3/hr, simply indicates how fast it clean the room and the lowest level it can reduce to, which imo the lowest level won't be that important.

Last edited:

plasticpistola

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For 24/7 operations, the transformers are known to overheat and blow. Seen it several times myself.

i using honeywell on transformer - during last year's haze it's on for 12hrs every day. so far so good.

pls dun blow lol~

My recommendation is on the XM2. (I also recommend the Samsung AX40)
Not saying that the XM2 is not useful. The XM2's filter cost is great.
Also, the XM2 can do variable fan speed (XM1 is fixed medium), so it'd be useful specifically in new BTO's bedrooms.....whereby it'd be pretty quiet pushing some 150 m3/hr of air, which would be sized ok for that. SGD200 for bedroom AP with compact sizing, energy consumption is good, filter cost great, good styling for the XM1 coz it's shorter esp since in normal bedrooms, cloud mode, sounds ok to me.
A key diff is the XM2's variable fan speed control via the app.

There is a difference in noise in Turbo (simply because the CADR is more for XM1).

They revised the XM2's CADR from 330m3/hr down to 310 m3/hr. Maybe correspondingly JET mode 388 m3/hr down to 365 m3/hr. This is probably due to complaints from the case whereby some Shanghai testing agency tested many APs in the market and found a few units to fail the claimed specs etc.
Official site : http://www.mi.com/air2/

Key take-aways :

Measurement of levels in a 49 cubic metre room (or 16.8 sqm HDB, 3.6x4.6m or those new 4-room BTO Master bedroom size).

Can you wait that additional 3 minutes (21 vs 18 min) when you suddenly get hit by very heavy haze like 19th Oct 2015's WEST 471 ug/m3?

1125121407.jpg

可以看到小米空气净化器2在21分钟时将19㎡环境下近似500ug/m3的污染浓度净化到35ug/m3以下。两个数字中前者是国家PM2.5严重污染标准的上限数值,而后者则是空气质量为健康的最高限值,也就是说小米空气净化器2可以用不到21分钟的时间将极为少见的严重爆表污染状态净化到健康标准,而小米净化器一代依靠更高的CADR值在18分钟完成了净化工作。小米净化器2虽然慢一些,但效率依然不错。

I have the 美的KJ30FE-NV2. It is CADR 318m3/hr if i am not wrong.
So as you can see, not a lot of difference. XM1, XM2, KJ30FE-NV2 are all in the same ballpark. The Samsung AX40 would still be in the same ballpark probably. You would not notice much of a difference in real life usage, even with a laser particle counter. The leakage from the windows, say whether or not it's closed properly, during a heavy bout of haze makes a bigger difference, as some of us with meters have found out with our measurements in 2015 Unless if you bring in a heavy hitter AP like the 750 m3/hr 352 X80 air purifier, then yeah there's prob a diff.

003351256.jpg

Your noise level comparison

003351232.jpg

Not in the above diagram, but they did seperate measurements

小米空气净化器2
Turbo超强模式:63.5dB     标准模式最高档:58.2dB     睡眠模式:35dB
小米空气净化器
最高档:70dB     睡眠模式:35dB

bro lidat if given a choice, would you get ax40 or xm2 for larger rooms?

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bro lidat if given a choice, would you get ax40 or xm2 for larger rooms?

In 2015, I was playing with stuff like the AX40, LG PS-R459, LG LA-Q379, LG PS-S209, 美的KJ30FE-NV2, AP-777 either singly or in multiples depending on whether folks would be spending more time in the rooms or living room/whose house. I had relegated these to be movable....the Sharp KC-840 stayed in the MBR.
Also due to air-conditioning requirements.

In our case, larger rooms would only mean living room (unless you have a landed property very large 40 sqm MBR), which in practical conditions would be connected to kitchen/yard with lourver windows, living room corridor's toilet door gaps, living room door gaps etc. The factors leading to leaks would be there. In my own measurements, it is a must to keep any of these 300-400m3/hr range APs to be in HIGH fan speed, and that's to keep it in the 20-50 ug/m3 range. If i use multiples, i could get it into the 10s.

There are people who said that it's ok, it's gonna be loud coz that means it working. But for me, all factors considered and since you are asking me, you are not going to like it for usage of the AP over so many years. It is not only one year kinda use.

Put it this way, at my mother's house (2 kids during day time).....the Novita NAP-501 with about 200 m3/hr in the 20 sqm living room is totally insfficient. It can go over 100 ug/m3 RAW sometimes, due to some special operating conditions, like kids leaving the kitchen door half open etc.
But most of the time, they spend time in the bedroom with another LG-PSR459 that i have.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.