Chasing the Northern Lights - Iceland

Din0saurus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just gone through the entire thread, can see you are a highly revered deity there :D

You mention about your guide kbkp, but at what point did you engage the guide? Was it for a local tour? Or did you engage one of the locals from GuidetoIceland.is?

How did you manage to get unstuck? Tied something to the wheels aka survival style, or just pure luck and wiggled your way out?

Trolling there isn't as fun after people know me. Haha. Still, it's nice when new people think I'm idiot and offer good advice. It makes you believe in the world again.

That was a dive guide and the Brits aren't the best at driving. Mixed with a bit of British humor and it was really fun going to the dive site.

SGJoe86

Reaction score
Sharing the link to my google docs here. It maybe alittle messy but i hope it helps. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/142Yfq_KlS37ymCdAGN6kO9VfgXfrTW2HVlfMRaR7sSQ/edit?usp=sharing
Just a quick glance through your itinerary, you might face potential tight scheduling from day 7 to day 11 as you drive through the eastern, northern, and western coast of Iceland. The route there are a lot more tricky due to winding coastal and mountainous roads compared to the south western and southern part of Ring Road.
If you based the driving estimation from Google Map, add in addition 25% to your travel time since you're travelling in autumn. Those driving in winter will be better off catering additional 50%.

My itinerary is a lot more simplified, because I've not put much into documenting yet :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/truwgnhw1ptffpz/Iceland itineraries.docx?dl=0

carleon8

Reaction score
Just gone through the entire thread, can see you are a highly revered deity there :D

You mention about your guide kbkp, but at what point did you engage the guide? Was it for a local tour? Or did you engage one of the locals from GuidetoIceland.is?

How did you manage to get unstuck? Tied something to the wheels aka survival style, or just pure luck and wiggled your way out?
I was lucky. My car couldn't move forward because one of my front wheels was stuck. So i kept turning the steering wheel and reversed out eventually.

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just a quick glance through your itinerary, you might face potential tight scheduling from day 7 to day 11 as you drive through the eastern, northern, and western coast of Iceland. The route there are a lot more tricky due to winding coastal and mountainous roads compared to the south western and southern part of Ring Road.
If you based the driving estimation from Google Map, add in addition 25% to your travel time since you're travelling in autumn. Those driving in winter will be better off catering additional 50%.

My itinerary is a lot more simplified, because I've not put much into documenting yet :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/truwgnhw1ptffpz/Iceland itineraries.docx?dl=0
Thanks for your itinerary. After reading through tripadvisor, it seems that my schedule is quite rushed even though I alloted 1 last day to rest in Reykjavik. I'm contemplating spending my first night in laugarvatn instead of Reykjavik and then I spend The last 2 nights of my trip in Reykjavik in case conditions are too windy along the way.

SGJoe86

Reaction score
Thanks for your itinerary. After reading through tripadvisor, it seems that my schedule is quite rushed even though I alloted 1 last day to rest in Reykjavik. I'm contemplating spending my first night in laugarvatn instead of Reykjavik and then I spend The last 2 nights of my trip in Reykjavik in case conditions are too windy along the way.
I was thinking, did you consider going clockwise instead of counter-clockwise? Given your worry on tight scheduling, the roads are easier to drive towards the end of your trip if you go counter-clockwise, since the road down south are straighter when heading to Reykjavik.

Folks like me are travelling on a limited schedule, so I'll head straight down south. If I am given the option to travel the entire Ring Road, I'll head north first ;)

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was thinking, did you consider going clockwise instead of counter-clockwise? Given your worry on tight scheduling, the roads are easier to drive towards the end of your trip if you go counter-clockwise, since the road down south are straighter when heading to Reykjavik.

Folks like me are travelling on a limited schedule, so I'll head straight down south. If I am given the option to travel the entire Ring Road, I'll head north first ;)

I just realized if I were to travel clockwise, I will be travelling on the inner side(right) side of the ring road. This will help me save some fuel compared to travelling on the outer side(left) side of the ring road. This is a very valid point. Thanks!

Din0saurus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The winds will kill. Bring more clothes than the temperature would suggest.

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Zzzzz I just check and airline price went up alittle for Turkish airlines and alot for finnair... Hope my gf leave get approve so I can book tomorrow night with not too much increase in airfare.

SGJoe86

Reaction score
It seems that instead of going for the crazy insurance cost of the SAAP etc... I can just apply for insurance through another insurance body such as https://www.worldwideinsure.com/car-hire-excess-insurance.php

I thought it was a great way to reduce insurance cost....
That's an interesting concept, but you gotta verify how their claim system works, and in the event of an claim, do they pay the rental firm directly, or you have to pay up-front, then they reimburse you.

SGJoe86

Reaction score
Didn't post here during the past few days, was down with flu :o

Anyway, met up with my cousin whom had gone to Iceland for honeymoon during Feb, 15 days. Gotta some interesting intel from her.
  • Those planning to cover the entire Ring Road during winter, cater minimum 12 days in case of road closure. One of their leg was 180km drive (shortest leg), but encountered road closure 15km from destination, end up reroute another 180km. One whole day burnt.
  • During winter, there isn't much activity at the northern part of Iceland. So those on a slightly tighter budget/timeline, stick to the south coast.
  • Don't bet on your 4WD and studded tires to keep you on the road. They saw lots of cars, small and big, stuck on road shoulders, some with cracked windows. Driver skill plays a big part, especially in a severe snowstorm (2 meter visibility). Even they got stuck in snow twice in their Volvo XC70, but locals managed to get them out.
  • In the event of you getting stuck and no locals are able to help, you gotta get a tow truck to pull you back onto the main road, which is gonna set you back ISK 25,000 (SGD 200), even when it means pulling you 1 meter only.
  • Unless your car is equipped with those big ass snow tires seen on super jeeps, stay out of snow and slush. Once your car goes in, no guarantee it can come out.
  • As someone posted in an earlier post, bring more layers than what the met service said about the temperature, those numbers are meant for local polar bears :D

Din0saurus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The winds are on par or stronger than Patagonia. The golden circle is much colder than Reykjavik despite being at the same temperature. I'm more polar bear than the locals and I cannot emphasize this enough.

Didn't use cash at all in Reykjavik, but you might need it for toilets elsewhere. 25,000ISK is around 280SGD btw.

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Booked my air tix to Reykjavik for early Oct. Unfortunately after getting our leave approved, airfare went up to 2040 for finnair instead of 1800. Ended up taking Turkish airlines for 1900 from Singapore to Oslo and icelandair for 400 from Oslo to Reykjavik. Costs are for 2 pax.

claudechew

Reaction score
Im also going to iceland this late 27oct till 4nov, mainly will do self drive southern region. any idea the road condition will be?

boxybaby

Reaction score
Just came back from iceland 1 week ago. We drove half a ring road for 6 days and took a domestic plan from akeyuri back to rek. Do rem to check for road condition as we encountered impassable route on a bad weather (snowy and foggy) managed to catch the northern light at a hill in akeyuri. Tips for northern light - clear sky (no dark clouds) google for aurora activity. We saw it at a pointer of 4. Hope it helps and iceland by far is the most incredible and magical country i have visited :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.