How to start Investing. Books, Sites.

richardchiam

Reaction score
How about practical tips also? How to open a stock trading account in SG.

It includes useful things like the rules of matching, SGX fine for uncover shot, T+x payment rule, Contra across multiple brokerage etc.

Account opening is simple yet making $ is the hard part. In stock especially we have to find a way to beat market maker as they are the ones who will fight with us face to face.

averlyn

Reaction score
Serious but noob question...If the broker commission is 0.15%, minimum is $15, that means if I buy 1 lot of 100 shares, $1/share, I'll pay $115?

What's the usual buying practice for you guys? Will you try to sort of breakeven on the commission? (e.g. spend 10k on stocks so the commission is really 0.15%)

Wanted to ask this, but thought it doesn't warrant a thread on it's own + couldn't find any advice on this :(

Last edited:

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Serious but noob question...If the broker commission is 0.15%, minimum is $15, that means if I buy 1 lot of 100 shares, $1/share, I'll pay $115?

What's the usual buying practice for you guys? Will you try to sort of breakeven on the commission? (e.g. spend 10k on stocks so the commission is really 0.15%)

Wanted to ask this, but thought it doesn't warrant a thread on it's on + couldn't find any advice on this :(

Throw big purchases to retail brokerages (DBSV, CIMB, etc.) and use SCB for smaller purchases as SCB has no minimum commissions.

Dix

Reaction score
Investment Books

Hi guys,

What do you think of these investment books, or do you have any to recommend?

1. A random walk down wall street - the time-tested strategy for successful investing
by Burton G Malkiel

2. How to make money in stocks
by William J O'Neil

3. Why Am I Always Losing In The Stock Market
by unknown author

4. The Intelligent Investor
by Ben Graham

5. Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits
by Philip A Fisher

6. One Up on Wall Street
by Peter Lynch

SG Youth Investors

Reaction score
Personal review

The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham:
While the book does not impart techniques to specifically select stocks, it discusses a wide range of topics. Eg. Investment vs Speculation, Portfolio Allocation, Dividend Policy. The book provides an excellent foundation for beginners to learn investing and its principles. Personally the book had convinced me to go for investing compared to trading.

A Random Walk Down Wall Street: The Time Tested Strategy for Successful Investing --
This book gives readers a general guide to navigating the financial market. For instance, he advises that investors use four basic determinants to help estimate proper values of companies.
Expected rate of growth. Larger growth rate of earnings and dividends, higher the price.
Expected dividend payout. Higher percentage of dividend payout, higher the price. However, other factors are not considered. Poor prospect company may pay good dividend while expanding company may hold back dividend like Apple.
Degree of risk. Naturally, higher risk, lower price.
Level of market interest rate. Lower interest rates, increase in stock price expected.

sgt4leaf

Banned
Reaction score
Nobody read Fooled by Randomness?

It was extremely meaningful, but it didn't require a whole book to make that point, writer was probably just boosting his own ego. I recommend people to read the wikipedia page instead.

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Franklin Templeton video series for new investors:
(please ignore the obvious plug at the end about going with Franklin Templeton :s22:)

Chrome151012

Reaction score
Books for Newbie like me! Highly Recommended

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum. I just like to share the books that I have read so far:

1. Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham
2. Financial Statements by Thomas R. Ittelson
3. For reading graphs: check this site. This is about forex trading but the lesson in reading graphs is the same with stock trading: wwwdotbabypipsdotcom/schoo

I hope this will be of help! :)

Cheers!

klinhong

Reaction score
any good tactic to buy and sell? I ok in buying but always dont know when to sell....

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Unsolicited Content (Commercial solicitation / Ads / Referrals / Spam)

Hi heartlandboy,

Fa is to judge whether a stock can hold Long term or not. Can Huat or not is still depend on your entry point and your exit point. A good fundemental stock doesn't means holding it can huat, end of day you must also see whether you can buy high n sell even higher? Or can the biz make an even higher profit the next fy and therefore has a higher eps and resulting in a lower pe etc

so think along this line ok for your next blog entry

Last edited by a moderator:

swordsly

Master Member
Reaction score
Actually, every stock brokerage in the world does the same thing bar SG.
And even our local brokerage use custodian when you buy anything outside of SG market.
So if you use DBS to buy US counter, same as SCB liao.

And not much +point other than the huge difference in comms and no other whatsoever fees.

So what's the real difference between the custody of <shares/bonds> with the broker and with our CDP (excluding the commission difference)?

I mean if they are virtually the same, why the option and difference in commission charges?

Newbie here. Just opened CDP only.

Also, is it necessary to have a broker? If buy SSB need broker anot?

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just sharing the 4 stages of stock trend by Stan Weinstein.

1. Stage 1 - Base. Not the time to buy yet.
2. Stage 2 - Uptrend. Buy on the early phase.
3. Stage 3 - Plateau. Time to sell.
4. Stage 4 - Downtrend. Never buy in this stage.
Go read his book for more detail.

Note: 30 weeks MA = 150 days MA

Summary of Stan Weinstein's 4 stages of stock trend.
Stage 1 - the basing area
1. lose downside momentum and start to trend sideways
2. buyers and sellers are starting to move into equilibrium
3. volume lessen or decline
4. volume will start to expand in late Stage 1 and prices remained little change

Stage 2 - advancing phase
1. ideal time to buy when price breakout of resistance
2. usually an initial rally followed by at least one pullback close to the breakout point
3. the buyers were far stronger and overwhelmed the sellers
4. volatility increased in later part of this stage

Stage 3 - the top area
1. upward advance loses momentum and starts to trend sideways
2. price moving sideways on heavy volume
3. traders should get the heck out with their profits!
4. investors should wait and see if another basing area is forming

Stage 4 - the declining phase
1. price breaks support with either high or low volume
2. get out of this stock
3. never buy at this stage
Chart-of-Stan-Weinsteins-Stage-Analysis11.gif

Using Stage 1, 2, 3 approach on CNMC Goldmine.
245a3jm.jpg

Last edited:

lbs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i personally love the following books, and attribute them for preventing myself from heavy loss, given how idiotic i am. i like to think of myself as a value investor although quite honestly i doubt i can live up to the label.

1) The Five Rules for Successful Stock Investing
2) The Intelligent Investor (this book will prevent you from making terrible financial mistakes)

These two books, if read thoroughly and meticulously, is enough I feel.

Genesisz

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.

Lots of useful information and resources to tap on in this thread. đź‘Ť

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Another good book on trend following.
The Trend Following Bible by Andrew Abraham

For those who follow this strategy, try screen the market for those stocks that are above a certain moving average and keep track of how many days it's above the moving average. Do this for 10 to 20 years period and you will see the trend is very consistent across SGX and US market.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Another good book on trend following.
The Trend Following Bible by Andrew Abraham

For those who follow this strategy, try screen the market for those stocks that are above a certain moving average and keep track of how many days it's above the moving average. Do this for 10 to 20 years period and you will see the trend is very consistent across SGX and US market.

thank, openly giving profitable tip but doubt many read stickies. :o

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.