Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

precise

Reaction score
As a follow-up to my previous post, Ah Boon replied this morning. Maybe news of this post got to them ... I won't know ... anyways he said he was on leave last week. I'll take it at face value.

Anyways, I am told that Urusara is single-split only, and Envi fancoils max at 14k BTU. Maybe this was already mentioned in here before but I didn't catch it ... but I guess that explains why some of you doing System 4 with Envi are using the old model fancoil for the living room, and this is something I don't accept.

I probably can't change my order from 2-tick Starmex to the 5-tick either, because my master and living room fancoil positions are cut-out from the false ceiling / L-box and the guys who'd installed the piping made markings meant for a 35-inch long cutout ... the 2-tick fancoils are 31-inches long and the 5-tick fancoils are 36-inches long. I'd probably have to go down to my unit with a measuring tape to see if they did the cut-outs according to the markings or whether they did a standard size cut-out, but chances are slim :(

I looked up the dimensions of several currently-popular brands' and models' fancoils and found that most are in the 9xx mm region in length. The 2-tick Starmex is pretty small at 798mm in length. If mine breaks down a few years from now and it is discontinued at that time and I need to buy a different brand / model, I think I'm royally F@%#ed :(

So ... lesson to be learned here ... anyone out there installing your fancoils into a cut-out in your false ceilings / L-boxes, do make sure your cut-outs are at least 1m in length or bigger for future replacement options.

Maybe you should consider to partially remove the false ceiling and re-do after the aircon installation. I understand the newer aircon needs more headroom allowance for air inflow. The false ceiling will stack up the cost of the aircon project which will definitely remove the constraints you are facing now.

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should consider to partially remove the false ceiling and re-do after the aircon installation. I understand the newer aircon needs more headroom allowance for air inflow. The false ceiling will stack up the cost of the aircon project which will definitely remove the constraints you are facing now.
No the thing is the false ceilings and L-boxes are already up and the ceilings have already been painted. And at this time since the Daikin 5-tick models are definitely no-go for me, I'll probably stick to my original order for the 2-tick Starmex even if the cut-out is big enough for the 5-tick model ... I don't expect us to be heavy aircon users (although that can change if we continue to be bombarded with haze not only from Indonesia but from the northern ASEAN countries like what's been going recently), and what I've read is you need about 5 years of heavy usage of the 5-tick Starmex to break-even with the 2-tick model.

As of now, it does not affect me since I'm resigned to sticking with the 2-tick model. It's just the thought of having to redo the cut-out areas in the future if the 2-tick model breaks down years from now and it gets discontinued there are no longer replacements within the existing cut-out size at that time that bothers me.

Sharkhunter

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is the following quote reasonable.

Mitsubishi Electric Starmex(5 ticks)
MXY-4G38VA/ 2x9000Btu,1x12000Btu & 1x18000Btu. $5,350

Panasonic(4 ticks)
CU-4XS32RBZ condenser. 2x9000Btu,1x12000Btu & 1x18000Btu. $5,000

Heard that new 5 ticks Starmex is not so stable and the manufacturer had retrieved back several units. Should i go for it or stick to 2 ticks Starmex.

For the same configuration as above got this quote of $4650 for 2ticks starmex.

cannotliao

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any experts can here?
System 3 aircon

Compressor inout from main supply
Live Got current
Neutral No current
Ground No current

Compressor Output to FCU
1st FCU
Live Got current
Neutral No current
Ground No current

2nd and 3rd FCU
Live Got current
Neutral No current
Ground Got current

Individual FCU
all 3 FCU input
Live Got current
Neutral Got current
Ground Got current

Can i confirm the both and Compressor PCB and fcu PCB all uplorry?
Many Thanks for all help.

empirestrike

Reaction score
any experts can here?
System 3 aircon

Compressor inout from main supply
Live Got current
Neutral No current
Ground No current

Compressor Output to FCU
1st FCU
Live Got current
Neutral No current
Ground No current

2nd and 3rd FCU
Live Got current
Neutral No current
Ground Got current

Individual FCU
all 3 FCU input
Live Got current
Neutral Got current
Ground Got current

Can i confirm the both and Compressor PCB and fcu PCB all uplorry?
Many Thanks for all help.

how u check the current? test pen only?
:)

empirestrike

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is the following quote reasonable.

Mitsubishi Electric Starmex(5 ticks)
MXY-4G38VA/ 2x9000Btu,1x12000Btu & 1x18000Btu. $5,350

Panasonic(4 ticks)
CU-4XS32RBZ condenser. 2x9000Btu,1x12000Btu & 1x18000Btu. $5,000

Heard that new 5 ticks Starmex is not so stable and the manufacturer had retrieved back several units. Should i go for it or stick to 2 ticks Starmex.

For the same configuration as above got this quote of $4650 for 2ticks starmex.

better stick to old model.. more reliable... new model hv 5 ticks but less cooling power... less cooling power = less energy consumption...:s13:

TigerzBeer

Reaction score
I have no idea what Aircon is good. I know one thing for sure. The LG Artcool gave me nightmares. The blower thing got spoilt and took almost 3 months get new parts.

First, like to thank this thread for the aircon info I got here last year. :)

I installed Mitsubishi Heavy System3 last Apr and happy with it. (~$2,880). From what I talked to installer, he told me that you will not go wrong with any of those "reliable" brand. Dun go for those China, local brand that use Japanese compressor or newly established Korean ones.

Reliable brand like Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Daikin tend to be better choices.

My Mitsubishi(MHI) came with a auto clean function which claim to save cleaning cost, but I have yet to use it since installed last year =:p

jqjkww

Reaction score
I have no idea what Aircon is good. I know one thing for sure. The LG Artcool gave me nightmares. The blower thing got spoilt and took almost 3 months get new parts.

Now that i'm buying a resale unit, first thing i'm gonna do is to replace the old Aircon which look like from the 70's :eek:

Went to G*** C*** in IMM and was quoted as below. Don't know if this is a good price and if they are trustworthy.

System 3
Mitsubishi MXY-3G28VA 5 TICK
Indoor Unit - MSXY-FJ (2x9000 BTU + 1x12000 BTU)

S$ 3759

System 2
Mitsubishi MXY-3G28VA 5 TICK
Indoor Unit - MSXY-FJ (1x12000 BTU + 1x18000 BTU)

S$ 3159

1/2 inch copper G22 - S$300
Extended warranty 1+4 years System 3 - S$129
Extended warranty 1+4 years System 2 - S$99
50Ft Piping FOC per fan coil. Excess us 4.50/ft for 9K/12K BTU and 7.50/ft for 18K+ BTU

===========================================
Other Offer I received was as below:

Mitsubishi New Starmex system 2 - $3000

MXY3G28/MSXYFJ10/MSXYFJ18

Mitsubishi New Starmex system 3 - $3450

MXY3G28/MSXYFJ10 x 2 /MSXYFJ13

Standard piping materials without upgrade
1. 16mm pvc drainage pipe with 1/4 inch thickness armaflex insulation.
2. 23g copper pipe with 1/2 inch thickness Class “1” armaflex insulation.
3. Keystone/Sigma 3 core 40 & 70 wire.
4. Stainless steel bracket is additional $150 nett with installation if necessary.

Warranty
1. Compressor 5 year (Dealer warranty)
2. Other parts 1 year (Dealer warranty)
3. Workmanship 5 year (Installer warranty)
1st year to 5th year will be warranty piping and wiring but not included insulation sweating.
Insulation only warranty for 1st year.

April 2016 Package
** Free Site Survey
** Free 2 trip installation
** Free upgrade to G22 copper pipe (Thickness and Hardness gas piping)
** Free upgrade to Class “O” half inch Armaflex Insulation. (Fire protection quality)
** Free Unlimited piping length
** Free dismantle and disposal old set aircon
** One time ac-hoc general servicing with special rate for no units of install within 1 year- $15 per unit.
** One time ac-hoc chemical overhaul with special rate for no units of install within 2 year- 30% discount
per unit (Price different base on BTU)
** No hidden cost (Nett Price)
Hi Appled, is it ok to share where your 2nd offer from? I am looking for the same aircon.

cannotliao

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To cannotliao

I suspect your wiring between compressor and fcu broken/shorted.
thanks for your help.
actually i did get the service man to check and was told to change compressor pcb and all the wiring.
i like to confirm the pcb fail or else is purely wiring problem then no point spend the extra money for pcb or change whole system.
it look like 1 of the wire burned out as it had darkened color.
the other 2 wires look ok
i cut off one of the look ok wire to do test/trouble shoot and think likely the compressor pcb and 2 fcu failed.
i change the wire and try switch tested around different connector outlet to different fcu.
only 1 fcu able to on but after awhile it will shut down and fault code come out. the other 2 fcu totally cannot on.
think it time for a new system.

rrrobt

Reaction score
terumo,

need your advice, my system 3 aircon is 10 years old now, when i ON any 2 unit no problem but when i ON 3 unit the compressor or fan or motor will make loud noise.do you know what happen ? is there hope ? repair x ? tks

terumo

Reaction score
To cannotliao

If your system is > 10 years, might as well change system
+ piping.

cannotliao

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To cannotliao

If your system is > 10 years, might as well change system
+ piping.
it only 6+yrs old
that why the headacbe
if more than 10yrs i dont even bother with repair.
6yrs is short for aircon

TigerzBeer

Reaction score
I found this shop in Toa Payoh last year. The guy is a nice guy and no hard selling. Believe he was a Mitsubishi Heavy Ind dealer as he kept recommending this brand. But generally he leave me to make a decision on which brand over the weekend before committing.

I took MHI System 3 aircon ($2,880) on his recommendation :p
http://www.streetdirectory.com/supreme-air-services/

precise

Reaction score
Zoom in toshiba system 4 and was told that toshiba has declared to move our of singapore and withdraw home appliances.

Should I proceed with Toshiba?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.