Samsung Tab Pro S

articfool

Reaction score
the $899USD one from amazon does not come with LTE if I recall correctly... still, 1.7k is crazy pricing from Samsung sg

SZQddy

Reaction score
the $899USD one from amazon does not come with LTE if I recall correctly... still, 1.7k is crazy pricing from Samsung sg

Good point, I missed that. But still, S$400 extra just for LTE! For that price they should have given us the 256GB SSD and thrown in the multiport adaptor.

Also, the stylus pen still hasn't been shown despite the tablet being on sale in Europe for almost a month...

jace88

Reaction score
S$1700? That's a joke. Even compared to buying in Australia at A$1499 RRP before negotiation (S$1526) and you get the GST back when leaving the country. Hard pressed to choose this over the SP4 now where in Australia the M3 version is A$1349. Yes the keyboard isn't included but I think once you add it in, they're the same price anyway so there's negligible savings (if any) offered by going Samsung.

Edit: didn't realise SG model is the LTE one but still seems pretty pricey.

Last edited:

yapks

Reaction score
If mobile shops like red/white, hitec, whymobile etc can carry this product and lower by $200 from the list price, then can consider.

jace88

Reaction score
Saw on Qoo10 for $1288 wifi version

Hmm I couldn't see but I assume it's US stock? It's not a bad deal and given it can charge with normal USB-C chargers, it's decent... but a lot of the reviews have not necessarily painted it in great light other than for the great AMOLED screen. I'm surprised there's no MicroSD expansion nor any other ports which I guess makes it more comparable to an iPad rather than a Surface Pro.

I am interested as it would make a great computer to give the missus... and it's more powerful than my previous Surface 3. Viewing angles sound a bit funny though.

lamtw22

Reaction score
Hmm I couldn't see but I assume it's US stock? It's not a bad deal and given it can charge with normal USB-C chargers, it's decent... but a lot of the reviews have not necessarily painted it in great light other than for the great AMOLED screen. I'm surprised there's no MicroSD expansion nor any other ports which I guess makes it more comparable to an iPad rather than a Surface Pro.

I am interested as it would make a great computer to give the missus... and it's more powerful than my previous Surface 3. Viewing angles sound a bit funny though.

It's from Hong Kong. I think the key thing about this is the OLED screen and being able to use it as a tablet. Otherwise, Samsung Notebook 9 is a better choice with better i5 processor, bigger 13.3 inch screen, higher 256GB SSD & 8 GB RAM, better keyboard, lighter weight (840g) and the various ports (USB, Micro HDMI, SD Card). But will need to get from overseas as not available locally.

Peter1980

Reaction score
S$1700? That's a joke. Even compared to buying in Australia at A$1499 RRP before negotiation (S$1526) and you get the GST back when leaving the country. Hard pressed to choose this over the SP4 now where in Australia the M3 version is A$1349. Yes the keyboard isn't included but I think once you add it in, they're the same price anyway so there's negligible savings (if any) offered by going Samsung.

Edit: didn't realise SG model is the LTE one but still seems pretty pricey.

I'm guessing the release of the LTE only version in Singapore (and at close to $1,700) is just a marketing move.... because with the release of the LTE version only, Samsung will be able to work and bundle with telco partners for promotions.

Telcos normally bundle free laptops / tablet with fibre broadband subscription during mid of the year promotions (somewhere around the PC show timing), and when it's pricey out in the market, telcos are more able to convince consumers they're getting a darn good deal when they sign up for 2 years fibre broadband contract. Either Singtel / Starhub is probably already negotiating the deal as we speak.

Otherwise, I just can't fathom any other reasons as to how many sets of Tab Pro S did Samsung expect to sell in Singapore at $1,700 within the 1st 12 months of launch...

But it's just a prediction, don't flame me if it doesn't materialize.

Last edited:

lamtw22

Reaction score
I'm guessing the release of the LTE only version in Singapore (and at close to $1,700) is just a marketing move.... because with the release of the LTE version only, Samsung will be able to work and bundle with telco partners for promotions.

Telcos normally bundle free laptops / tablet with fibre broadband subscription during mid of the year promotions (somewhere around the PC show timing), and when it's pricey out in the market, telcos are more able to convince consumers they're getting a darn good deal when they sign up for 2 years fibre broadband contract. Either Singtel / Starhub is probably already negotiating the deal as we speak.

Otherwise, I just can't fathom any other reasons as to how many sets of Tab Pro S did Samsung expect to sell in Singapore at $1,700 within the 1st 12 months of launch...

But it's just a prediction, don't flame me if it doesn't materialize.

Yes, too pricy for a tablet while too low specs & too few ports for a notebook.

SZQddy

Reaction score
It's on display at Samsung stores, Challenger, and Best Denki.

Nice build quality, more compact than the SP4 but it does have a slightly smaller display, and very light without the keyboard attached. No pen on display sadly.

And yes, S$1698 (LTE version only available)!!! No way I'm paying that for this. It's ridiculous pricing compared to US, even taking into account tax and LTE.

Hopefully available from other street stores at a lower price like their Android devices.

SZQddy

Reaction score
Shopping around today. Noticed that, for the same money, you can get the Lenovo Miix 700 with Core m5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 2 USB ports, MicroSD slot, and includes the keyboard and pen!

Looks and feels really nice as well, just a little larger in all dimensions.

Hoping the Huawei Matebook is out soon to compare.

Peter1980

Reaction score
Shopping around today. Noticed that, for the same money, you can get the Lenovo Miix 700 with Core m5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 2 USB ports, MicroSD slot, and includes the keyboard and pen!

Looks and feels really nice as well, just a little larger in all dimensions.

Hoping the Huawei Matebook is out soon to compare.

Speaking of price comparison, imagine getting 2 Acer Switch Alpha 12 Surface clone with i3 / i5 processor for the price of 1 Samsung Tab Pro S.... It's using a so-called liquid cooling loop so it's able to use the usual Intel i3 / i5 / i7 processor instead of Core M without any fans, I'm looking to see the reviews from Cnet / Engadget first because the verdict is still out on whether this so-called "loop cooling technology" is a decade old technology given a marketing twist with a brand new name, or really new innovation and able to keep the CPU cool as they said it would. Price for Acer Switch Alpha 12 starts at USD$599 (probably for the i3 version)

kyleongwl

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's on display at Samsung stores, Challenger, and Best Denki.

Nice build quality, more compact than the SP4 but it does have a slightly smaller display, and very light without the keyboard attached. No pen on display sadly.

And yes, S$1698 (LTE version only available)!!! No way I'm paying that for this. It's ridiculous pricing compared to US, even taking into account tax and LTE.

Hopefully available from other street stores at a lower price like their Android devices.

Its just too expensive

lamtw22

Reaction score
Its just too expensive

They are giving away a USB-C multiport adaptor (to USB & HDMI) and a one year Microsoft Office 365 personal subscription worth $236.

I think it's expensive because of the OLED screen, probably first Windows tablet/notebook with OLED screen. Without a USB port or SD card slot, very inconvenient to be used as a notebook, especially with just 128GB SSD onboard. Hence, better to be used as a tablet.

The 12 inch screen aspect ratio is 3:2 instead of 16:9. Hence, the height is actually longer than a 13.3 inch 16:9 laptop. Hence, not too bad, compared to a 13.3 inch for browsing.

SZQddy

Reaction score
They are giving away a USB-C multiport adaptor (to USB & HDMI) and a one year Microsoft Office 365 personal subscription worth $236.

I think it's expensive because of the OLED screen, probably first Windows tablet/notebook with OLED screen. Without a USB port or SD card slot, very inconvenient to be used as a notebook, especially with just 128GB SSD onboard. Hence, better to be used as a tablet.

The 12 inch screen aspect ratio is 3:2 instead of 16:9. Hence, the height is actually longer than a 13.3 inch 16:9 laptop. Hence, not too bad, compared to a 13.3 inch for browsing.

Must admit, the OLED display is really nice but not that much better than the best quality IPS panels to justify the price hike. It just isn't good value for money for the specs you are getting.

The SP4 is better value, and the Lenovo and Acer are even better yet.

I like the 3:2 ratio, nice compromise for media consumption and productivity. Personally, I feel 12" is a little too large for a tablet but just right for a laptop. I would have preferred 10" but I guess the tech isn't quite there yet to fit Core m chips into that size.

Think I'll wait for the Huawei Matebook as that is even more compact than this and hopefully should be cheaper and has more configurations. Unless the TabPro S becomes available for $300 less.

Street price for Samsung Android phones and tablets always around $200 cheaper than RRP but for some reason their Windows devices are never available from other sources.

outrun100

Reaction score
Telco price released and it's not attractive at all. 128GB space is too little for windows, and no expansion is a deal breaker

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.