ST Engineering *Official* (SGX: S63)

chiokcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's with ST Eng? I was eyeing to buy this morning, then it shot up!

starfish.starfish

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Doubt so. STE designs vehicles but they don't build them no?

Also, does SG even have locally designed aircraft?

From the article:

The next decision for Singapore after replacing its Super Puma helicopters could be on the Joint Multi Mission Ship – in effect a helicopter and tactical aircraft carrier.

These will eventually replace Singapore’s Endurance-class support ships, and can be used for disaster relief in the region – something Singapore has regularly undertaken – and potentially allow the land-scarce country to deploy air assets beyond its shores.

ST Marine, a unit of state-owned Singapore Technologies Engineering, displayed a model of such a ship at a defense exhibition in 2014.

The company told Reuters that it has completed "conceptual and functional design" on the vessel.

"This would put us in a good position to be able to respond swiftly in the event of a RFP (request for proposals), when it comes," said a ST Marine spokeswoman in an emailed response.

leyzzz

Reaction score
SINGAPORE (May 5): ST Engineering says on Thursday that ST Kinetics' wholly-own subsidiary, Autonomous Technology, will divest itself of its 60% equity stake in Guizhou Jonyang Kinetics for a cash consideration of RMB200 million ($43 million).

The sale and purchase agreement is between Autonomous Technology and its joint venture partner, Guiyang Industrial and Commercial Assets Management.

ST Kinetics, the land systems arm of ST Engineering, has been reviewing its specialty vehicle business in China.

The consideration for the divestment takes into account the general condition of the construction equipment market in China, as well as Guizhou Jonyang Kinetics' net assets value and its expected financial performance.

The divestment is not expected to have any material impact on ST Engineering's financial results for the current financial year.

ST Engineering closed 5.8% higher at $3.24.

lzydata

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SINGAPORE (May 5): ST Engineering says on Thursday that ST Kinetics' wholly-own subsidiary, Autonomous Technology, will divest itself of its 60% equity stake in Guizhou Jonyang Kinetics for a cash consideration of RMB200 million ($43 million).

The sale and purchase agreement is between Autonomous Technology and its joint venture partner, Guiyang Industrial and Commercial Assets Management.

ST Kinetics, the land systems arm of ST Engineering, has been reviewing its specialty vehicle business in China.

The consideration for the divestment takes into account the general condition of the construction equipment market in China, as well as Guizhou Jonyang Kinetics' net assets value and its expected financial performance.

The divestment is not expected to have any material impact on ST Engineering's financial results for the current financial year.

ST Engineering closed 5.8% higher at $3.24.

This actually came up during the recent AGM, the poor performance of some of their JVs. Interestingly in the annual report (page 251) the net assets of Guizhou Jonyang Kinetics was stated as 48,953-19,581=$29,372k, so ST Engineering sold it at a 40+% premium to book. I don't know whether that's good or bad but for a loss-making venture I suppose it is good?

peacefulday

Reaction score
They will send the standard reply template to SGX query.

with Temasek holdings owned majority percent of stake, only big fund managers can manipulate such move. STE is a defensive stock but recent swing down and up hint something is brewing. Next week shall see how is their first quarter result. Normally it won't stop just a day.

peacefulday

Reaction score
ST Engineering Reports Lower Profits for 1Q2016

Singapore, 13 May 2016 – Singapore Technologies Engineering Ltd (ST Engineering) today announced financial results for its first quarter ended 31 March 2016 (1Q2016).

Group revenue for 1Q2016 was 8% higher at $1.63b compared to $1.51b the year before, with higher sales from the Aerospace and Electronics sectors. Quarterly Profit before tax (PBT) for the Group was $130.4m, down 13% from $150.5m, and Quarterly net profit after tax (Net profit) for the Group was $110.2m, down 15% from $130.0m as profits from Land Systems and Marine sectors declined.

At the business level compared to the same period last year, revenue for the Aerospace sector was 27% higher at $622m from $489m, mainly driven by the contribution of a new subsidiary, Elbe Flugzeugwerke. PBT for the Aerospace sector remained comparable at $75.2m. Arising from higher value project milestone completions, revenue for the Electronics sector increased 28% to $457m from $356m and its PBT up 13% to $39.6m from $34.9m. The Land Systems sector recorded lower revenue for all its business groups, resulting in a 18% drop in revenue to $284m from $346m, and 28% drop in PBT to $11.6m from $16.2m. In the Marine sector, weaker shipbuilding performance in Singapore and US operations resulted in revenue of $213m, 24% lower compared to $280m, and PBT of $3.4m, 85% down from $23.4m.

”For the first quarter of 2016, the Group reported higher Revenue, but lower PBT compared to the same quarter last year. Our business operations, including shipbuilding, continue to face industry headwinds, the impact of slow-down in China and overall, an uncertain global economic outlook.

Notwithstanding the economic conditions, the quarter ended with an order book of $11.5b, and we continue to hold cash and cash equivalents, including funds under management, at a healthy level of $1.5b.

Against a weakening global economic environment, the Group adopts a cautious approach to its businesses. Barring unforeseen circumstances, the Group expects FY2016 Revenue to be higher, and PBT to be comparable to FY2015. We continue to monitor the situation closely and will provide an update at mid-year.” ~Tan Pheng Hock, President & CEO, ST Engineering

Business Highlights And New Contracts in 1Q2016

Commercial business accounted for 71% or $1.15b of Group revenue in 1Q2016. Order book was $11.5b at the end of March 2016, of which the Group expects to deliver about $3.0b in the remaining months of 2016.

In the first quarter, the Group announced $948m worth of new contracts, comprising $443m for the Aerospace sector and $505m for the Electronics sector. Contracts for the Aerospace sector were for various projects, including line and heavy maintenance, cabin interior modifications, component and landing gear support, pilot training and engine wash services. The Electronics sector continued to secure projects for Rail Electronics & Intelligent Transportation, Satellite & Broadband communications, as well as Advanced Electronics and ICT solutions which included contracts to deliver its Trainborne Communications System for the Riyadh Metro in Saudi Arabia, and to deploy its smart lighting solution across the Borough of Southend-on-Sea in the United Kingdom.

In February during the Singapore Airshow 2016, the Group exhibited more than 100 products, services and solutions - new and proven – organised into Aviation, Smart Combat and Smart City clusters. The exhibits showcased broad-based capabilities which position the Group well to capture opportunities driven by megatrends impacting global aerospace, defence and security world, as well as the rapid transformation of cities such as Singapore over the next decade.

ST Engineering (Singapore Technologies Engineering Ltd) is an integrated engineering group providing solutions and services in the aerospace, electronics, land systems and marine sectors. Headquartered in Singapore, the Group reported revenue of $6.34b in FY2015 and ranks among the largest companies listed on the Singapore Exchange. It is a component stock of the FTSE Straits Times Index and MSCI Singapore. ST Engineering has about 23,000 employees worldwide, and over 100 subsidiaries and associated companies in 46 cities across 24 countries. Please visit www.stengg.com for more information.

Media contact:

Lina Poa
SVP, Corporate Communications
ST Engineering
Tel: (65) 6722 1883
Email: linapoa@stengg.com

thegodfather

Reaction score
From OCBC reports. i am still bullish on ST Eng mid-short term. THeir way of going business is cheap cheap cheap all the way but serously how long can it last. Plus they have alot of their bluff eat engineers :D Nevertheless i am still holding on to this counter with my SRS account till another nice counter comes along..

ST Engineering: Valuations attractive again; upgrade to BUY
Singapore Technologies Engineering (STE) reported its 1Q16 revenue of S$1,627.1m (+8% YoY), in line with our forecast (meeting 25% of FY16 estimate); However, PBT slipped 13% to S$130.4m and PATMI dropped 15% to S$110.2m, both meeting 21% of our full-year forecasts, hence slightly weaker than expected. While management expects to see lower PBT in 1H16 versus 1H15, citing the still uncertain economic outlook, it has kept its comparable PBT guidance for FY16. With company maintaining its FY16 guidance, we do not see the need to adjust our estimates for now, as well as our S$3.24 fair value (19x FY16F EPS). But as the share price has taken quite a tumble of late, valuations are starting to look fairly attractive now; hence we upgrade our call to BUY for a potential total return of 10%. (Carey Wong)

athulican

Reaction score
From OCBC reports. i am still bullish on ST Eng mid-short term. THeir way of going business is cheap cheap cheap all the way but serously how long can it last. Plus they have alot of their bluff eat engineers :D Nevertheless i am still holding on to this counter with my SRS account till another nice counter comes along..

ST Engineering: Valuations attractive again; upgrade to BUY
Singapore Technologies Engineering (STE) reported its 1Q16 revenue of S$1,627.1m (+8% YoY), in line with our forecast (meeting 25% of FY16 estimate); However, PBT slipped 13% to S$130.4m and PATMI dropped 15% to S$110.2m, both meeting 21% of our full-year forecasts, hence slightly weaker than expected. While management expects to see lower PBT in 1H16 versus 1H15, citing the still uncertain economic outlook, it has kept its comparable PBT guidance for FY16. With company maintaining its FY16 guidance, we do not see the need to adjust our estimates for now, as well as our S$3.24 fair value (19x FY16F EPS). But as the share price has taken quite a tumble of late, valuations are starting to look fairly attractive now; hence we upgrade our call to BUY for a potential total return of 10%. (Carey Wong)

I was one of those bluff eat engineers. I haven't started investing at that time. I didn't even take the company shares, which would have been a big winner by now. In fact, I hated the company so much that I resigned. Many years later, I bought the share, and is still holding. I guess this is what they mean by don't get emotional in investing.

athulican

Reaction score
why u hate the company?????????????

Don't want to tell so much details, as I once wrote extensively in another forum and got that thread locked (but account never banned. That forum is defunct now). In short, there were lots of inefficiencies which led to capabilities not growing, talents not employed/developed, which otherwise, would have make the company a stronger and bigger player in the world today. Anyway, just my personal opinion, and my observations were from decades ago ... :s8:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.