Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerzBeer

Reaction score
Thanks! But is Supreme Aircon more for MHI?

Supreme Air can install any brand you want. But being MHI dealer(I guess), he will somehow promote MHI. No force selling, that one must take MHI by him...(If he really force sell, you can play slow by telling him you need time to decide and contact him later lor) then call him to say not interested, hehe...

Your wife and you are right that we consumers are skeptical when come to source for big ticket item like aircon. I was like you last year. My experience was not everyone was so unlucky to have bad encounter when installing aircon. Just ask around your friends or colleague and you can know better...

I also read those forums you mentioned last year till my whole brain flooded and cannot decide. Family members finally ask how come take so long to make up mind as hot weather was coming(June-onward). Luckily got it done by April before the stupid Indo haze came...

Last edited:

GizmoSeow

Reaction score
Thanks! But is Supreme Aircon more for MHI?

Actually my wife is the one doing most of the research for our hse reno & feeding me with the information. She stopped her work to look after & teach the kids. She's much more detailed than me as her previous job involved scrutinising quotations & vendors, haha... I'm only more actively reading here whereas she has read lots of other forums & blogs, here including, & told me about the reviews about the various companies.

She told me to avoid All Best, Best Tech, suspects to be "related". GC's camp split 1/2 1/2, a grp strongly recommends & another grp strongly advises against it. Aircon Design, which was our last installer & also the one servicing our current aircons, she found the quotation to be exp & since we have been them for yrs for servicing, they didn't even offer us any complimentary servicing, so she's not considering them anymore. The one recommended by our ID isn't that cheap either although it would be easier to coordinate but a whopping $500 difference, so she's not considering them either. Neighbourhood shop like Goh Ah Bee, they outsourced it to Dr Cool, & price wise not that cheap either, 4.1+k but not using the better materials.

She browsed a lot of forums/blogs as she said cannot trust one source for feedback, example like renotalk, those who speak good of the company could be the company self promoting themselves, likewise those who speak ill of a company could be a competitor bad mouthing other companies. She said if a company doesn't bother to do a non obligatory site survey before you make a purchase, then she doesn't bother to consider that company too, cos if pre-sales already yaya papaya, can imagine how post-sales can be...

How about Dr Cool & Dr Cool Asia? Related too...?

cleven

Reaction score
I also read those forum you mentioned last year till my whole brain flooded and cannot decide. Family members finally ask how come take so long to make up mind as hot weather was coming(June-onward). Luckily got it done by April before the stupid Indo haze...

Precisely! That's why I mentioned in my earlier post, back then when we installed our 1st aircon in 2000, Internet was still not that common, so cannot check if this brand & installer company were good, so we just went ahead with it. Now, with Internet, actually it made us more difficult to decide, concerns built up as the reading built up. :s13:

Ultimately I think still have to base on own assessment, what's good to a person may not be good to another person.

GizmoSeow

Reaction score
Supreme Air can install any brand you want. But being MHI dealer(I guess), he will somehow promote MHI. No force selling, that one must take MHI by him...(If he really force sell, you can play slow by telling him you need time to decide and contact him later lor) then call him to say not interested, hehe...

Your wife and you are right that we consumers are skeptical when come to source for big ticket item like aircon. I was like you last year. My experience was not everyone was so unlucky to have bad encounter when installing aircon. Just ask around your friends or colleague and you can know better...

I also read those forums you mentioned last year till my whole brain flooded and cannot decide. Family members finally ask how come take so long to make up mind as hot weather was coming(June-onward). Luckily got it done by April before the stupid Indo haze came...

Btw, what's MHI?

TigerzBeer

Reaction score
She browsed a lot of forums/blogs as she said cannot trust one source for feedback...

You may want to take note. I also find Starmex and MHI aircon indoor unit "bigger". Other brands are Darkin, Panasonic, EuroAce are smaller in width. But MHI was quiet as I hardly hear any air blowing sound...

Was talking about with a friend on this and he said maybe is the "bigger" propelling unit inside that's why quieter..not sure how true also...:)

cleven

Reaction score
You may want to take note. I also find Starmex and MHI aircon indoor unit "bigger". Other brands are Darkin, Panasonic, EuroAce are smaller in width. But MHI was quiet as I hardly hear any air blowing sound...

Was talking about with a friend on this and he said maybe is the "bigger" propelling unit inside that's why quieter..not sure how true also...:)

Thanks. I think it's okay, nothing beats our current McQuay that's coming to 16yrs in terms of size & noise. :s13:

TigerzBeer

Reaction score
Precisely! That's why I mentioned in my earlier post, back then when we installed our 1st aircon in 2000, Internet was still not that common, so cannot check if this brand & installer company were good, so we just went ahead with it. Now, with Internet, actually it made us more difficult to decide, concerns built up as the reading built up. :s13:

Ultimately I think still have to base on own assessment, what's good to a person may not be good to another person.

Another concern consumer may encounter was which BTU will be enough to cool the room. Just get the installer to come and access for you. With his exp in installing so many aircon, he should be in better position to help...

My experience last year was to choose a older local aircon supplier that are in this trade will be good. I trust those Malaysian a bit lesser...(No offence, just my personnel preference) :p

Kusanagi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry, can't comment on these 2 companies as my wife didn't research on Dr Cool upon hearing the price, which was based on the standard materials.

you may want to get your wife to research on star cool or air connection

i believe they both provide non-obligatory site inspection

got my place inspected by star cool yesterday, waiting for their quotation

cleven

Reaction score
you may want to get your wife to research on star cool or air connection

i believe they both provide non-obligatory site inspection

got my place inspected by star cool yesterday, waiting for their quotation

Star Cool by Aron & Boon? If yes, well, Boon had already come up to our place & we've already gotten the quotation from Aron. :)

Kusanagi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Star Cool by Aron & Boon? If yes, well, Boon had already come up to our place & we've already gotten the quotation from Aron. :)

nice, how long did you wait to get your quotation?

a dire need to get my aircon up, sweltering heat is no joke :s22:

noinimod

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nothing special about their price IMO. If i were to go with an online company without the kind of local, brick&mortar presence that gives it more street credentials, i would expect a lower price.

Personally, i would stay with a more established company that's been around for a longer time.

cleven

Reaction score
Nothing special about their price IMO. If i were to go with an online company without the kind of local, brick&mortar presence that gives it more street credentials, i would expect a lower price.

Personally, i would stay with a more established company that's been around for a longer time.

So what would u recommend then?

We wanted to go for more establised company too if possible, like GC. Im fact, I personally went to a GC branch, well not too impressed, basically walked in & out w/out anyone entertaining, that was during off peak. My wife read a lot about GC on online forums & the complaints in recent yrs seem to hv increased, some even commenting that they aren't as gd as in the past.

Like I said cheaper doesn't mean it'll be gd or bad, same goes for expensive, likewise bigger established comp with physical front doesn't nessarily mean it's gd, those with no physical front not necessarily it's bad either.

Last edited:

cleven

Reaction score
nice, how long did you wait to get your quotation?

a dire need to get my aircon up, sweltering heat is no joke :s22:

We actually got a quote before site survey. I think the amount is pretty much standard.

Anyway, do note that I'm not endorsing any company cos we have yet to engage any & the reno is only going to start later this mth.

I can survive w/out aircon, it's my wife & kids who need it more than me, haha... Worse is we're going to shift temp to my parents' plc where there's no aircon while our hse undergoes reno.

sinicker

Master Member
Reaction score
just replaced my 10 year old aircon with Mitsubishi Electric.

MXY-3A28VA + MSY-GE10VA x 3.

$2900.

noinimod

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So what would u recommend then?

We wanted to go for more establised company too if possible, like GC. Im fact, I personally went to a GC branch, well not too impressed, basically walked in & out w/out anyone entertaining, that was during off peak. My wife read a lot about GC on online forums & the complaints in recent yrs seem to hv increased, some even commenting that they aren't as gd as in the past.

Like I said cheaper doesn't mean it'll be gd or bad, same goes for expensive, likewise bigger established comp with physical front doesn't nessarily mean it's gd, those with no physical front not necessarily it's bad either.
I'm going with another smaller company. Price not cheapest but he doesn't use cheap materials. If you research enough you'll realize the prices across all companies are about the same.

Most of the difference is in the material cost. Of course, there's a further premium if you go with companies like GC/coolserve. Guess that's up to the individual to decide if it's worth it or not.

And no.. i won't agree that no physical front = not necessarily it's bad. Simply because you don't know their reputation. Reputation takes many years to build. Even with all the complains GC gets.. at least they have a shop front and if something bad happens, there's a way to get justice.

Remember also that people are more vocal about complains than they are about compliments. GC does very high volume so for every complain you see online.. there are countless other jobs well done that nobody mentions in forums.

As for the random online shop without any reputation on the streets.. who knows? All the renotalk comments are simply clone posters disguising as fake customers. Heck, there were even some accounts on hwz here posting fake reviews.

fire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All Best quoted below $3900.

MXY-4A38VA x 1
MSY-GE26VA x 1
MSY-GE10VA x 3
60months workmanship warranty.

I know All Best got bad reviews, but they seems to offer the best bang. I'm kinda leaning towards them.

Sure the compressor is 38 instead of 28? Difference in price between these 2 compressor is >500 bucks. For this specs I dun find any shop able to do it below 4k, they can do for 3.9k is rather weird unless they going without profit or even loss....

Kusanagi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm going with another smaller company. Price not cheapest but he doesn't use cheap materials. If you research enough you'll realize the prices across all companies are about the same.

Most of the difference is in the material cost. Of course, there's a further premium if you go with companies like GC/coolserve. Guess that's up to the individual to decide if it's worth it or not.

And no.. i won't agree that no physical front = not necessarily it's bad. Simply because you don't know their reputation. Reputation takes many years to build. Even with all the complains GC gets.. at least they have a shop front and if something bad happens, there's a way to get justice.

Remember also that people are more vocal about complains than they are about compliments. GC does very high volume so for every complain you see online.. there are countless other jobs well done that nobody mentions in forums.

As for the random online shop without any reputation on the streets.. who knows? All the renotalk comments are simply clone posters disguising as fake customers. Heck, there were even some accounts on hwz here posting fake reviews.

while most of your points are valid, I think as I have mentioned earlier, all it takes is bad workmanship to bungle up everything

this industry as a whole is very unregulated and full of shams, much like the mattress industry

and unfortunately there is no one around who is trying to capitalize on this weakness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.