ST Engineering *Official* (SGX: S63)

athulican

Reaction score
So when I come across Warren Buffett quoting Peter Lynch "invest in businesses any idiot could run because someday one will." it synced with me so much. :s13:

thegodfather

Reaction score
I was one of those bluff eat engineers. I haven't started investing at that time. I didn't even take the company shares, which would have been a big winner by now. In fact, I hated the company so much that I resigned. Many years later, I bought the share, and is still holding. I guess this is what they mean by don't get emotional in investing.

sorry mate. no hard feelings but because we deal with them often, I get outrageous requests . Want good, cheap and supplier do everything. Their engineers don't seem to have a clue what to do jsut throw soem random specifications. Everyone is just so kiasi to champion the project that often is a merry go round.

That formed a mental image "bluff eat engineers", but hey, STeng is still floating after all these days but thats why i am not bullish long term, short terms yes since they can still squeeze suppliers/ but for how long?

There are many bluff eat engineers also at DSTA and DSO and they are all earning good $$$.. such is life :D

Last edited:

bibu00

Master Member
Reaction score
sorry mate. no hard feelings but because we deal with them often, I get outrageous requests . Want good, cheap and supplier do everything. Their engineers don't seem to have a clue what to do jsut throw soem random specifications. Everyone is just so kiasi to champion the project that often is a merry go round.

That formed a mental image "bluff eat engineers", but hey, STeng is still floating after all these days but thats why i am not bullish long term, short terms yes since they can still squeeze suppliers/ but for how long?

There are many bluff eat engineers also at DSTA and DSO and they are all earning good $$$.. such is life :D

I feel that their bluff eat mentality is super strong. They took on the ugly side of both govt and civil sector.

I.e. Business is profit driven, but people's mentality is that the job iron rice bowl and do minimum is enough.

Average

Banned
Reaction score

Sounds like man in green group...

thegodfather

Reaction score
I feel that their bluff eat mentality is super strong. They took on the ugly side of both govt and civil sector.

I.e. Business is profit driven, but people's mentality is that the job iron rice bowl and do minimum is enough.

yes you are right

Sounds like man in green group...

nah.. i am from the private sector. one day when you deal with them you will understand what i meant. ooh ya not to mention they are very rude. there was an incident the project manager used vulgarities over the phone because thigns were delayed as no one wants to make a decision. I told him if he is going continuing with the abuse i will hang up and he commented: " you act decent is it? in army never use 4 letter word before!" well, we are all NOT in army haha.. so i dont see the point arguing. i reported him to his HR whom was also having a hard time with his team :D i didnt tell him i was small small tiny a shareholder of his company:D

hope the company share dont tank because i am holding on as well. of cus one off incidents does not meant all are like that but most are.

Average

Banned
Reaction score
yes you are right

nah.. i am from the private sector. one day when you deal with them you will understand what i meant. ooh ya not to mention they are very rude. there was an incident the project manager used vulgarities over the phone because thigns were delayed as no one wants to make a decision. I told him if he is going continuing with the abuse i will hang up and he commented: " you act decent is it? in army never use 4 letter word before!" well, we are all NOT in army haha.. so i dont see the point arguing. i reported him to his HR whom was also having a hard time with his team :D i didnt tell him i was small small tiny a shareholder of his company:D

hope the company share dont tank because i am holding on as well. of cus one off incidents does not meant all are like that but most are.

No la i mean STE productivity like army.

Reaction score
as much as I see their inefficiency during NSF and reservists day (4 workers crowding around a down vehicle when 1 is enough), I still like STE because it is tied heavily to SAF. SG needs and wants a homegrown defense contractor.

Vehicles by STK. Range by STK. My training simulations by ST Electronics. Signal sets by ST Microelectronics.

If STE is able to cut its inefficiencies, all the better. But as of now, I think I am satisfied

athulican

Reaction score

As tiong would say, 没事.

STeng is still floating, and will still float for a long time because it is a monopoly (on Mindef contracts, and defense budget is one of the biggest constituent). Defense contracts does not include just buying or building/modifications but also maintenance. And those income lasts several years, and can only be taken by STeng. I am not sure if fund managers know about all these details or not. Well, I have to stop here.

DSTA don't do too much technical stuffs, perhaps some system level thing, as their main KPI is contract negotiation. DSO is the research arm. Their engineers should have higher standards then STeng. I had several ex-colleagues jump ship from STeng to DSO, but only one went the other way. My guess is, like another R&D organizations in MNCs/SMEs, DSO is more like a cost centre. (how to have R&D and revenue at the same time?) At least, STeng has production and maintenance that can generate revenue.

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As tiong would say, 没事.

STeng is still floating, and will still float for a long time because it is a monopoly (on Mindef contracts, and defense budget is one of the biggest constituent). Defense contracts does not include just buying or building/modifications but also maintenance. And those income lasts several years, and can only be taken by STeng. I am not sure if fund managers know about all these details or not. Well, I have to stop here.

DSTA don't do too much technical stuffs, perhaps some system level thing, as their main KPI is contract negotiation. DSO is the research arm. Their engineers should have higher standards then STeng. I had several ex-colleagues jump ship from STeng to DSO, but only one went the other way. My guess is, like another R&D organizations in MNCs/SMEs, DSO is more like a cost centre. (how to have R&D and revenue at the same time?) At least, STeng has production and maintenance that can generate revenue.

applying to join ST nao!!!

galapogos

Reaction score
as much as I see their inefficiency during NSF and reservists day (4 workers crowding around a down vehicle when 1 is enough), I still like STE because it is tied heavily to SAF. SG needs and wants a homegrown defense contractor.

Vehicles by STK. Range by STK. My training simulations by ST Electronics. Signal sets by ST Microelectronics.

If STE is able to cut its inefficiencies, all the better. But as of now, I think I am satisfied

ST Micro isn't Singporean but rather French-Italian, and has nothing to do with STEngg other than sharing the "ST" name.

pigpigoink

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
had a horrible internship exp. at there last time... anyway holding on to their stocks too :s13::D:)

thegodfather

Reaction score
Almost everyone who cross paths with ST Eng have something bad to say but still hold their share including me :flash:

Hope for the best ST Eng. Read DBS report it might drop more if $3 support is broken but maybe that is time to buy more?

Average

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, i like iron rice bowl and pian jiak attitude combined! This is heavenly, applying STE next time.

bibu00

Master Member
Reaction score
I know someone in ST that highlighted their inefficiencies and arrogance to me.

Take for example ST (A) require a external contractor service of ST (B), it could be calibration, servicing, repair etc etc. But outside AMDK coy also providing these services.
Ideally, they could have "left pocket go to right pocket" and saved on alot of cost if they subcon to their own ST umbrella as compared to if they get the service of a third party (AMDK COY).
But thats not whats happening, sometimes they still contract to amdk coy due to their bo chup attitude.

Last edited:

peacefulday

Reaction score
After reading all the comments
Very glad i sold STE
Not looking back
As a shareholder i prefer employees who work hard to hit kpi
They get big bonus and i get big dividends
Win win

think all these office politic, emotional feel do reside in most work sectors. Business still as usual :)

STE is usually a defensive stock but recently it's getting volatile... something brewery.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.