Hyflux 6% Perpetual Securities

SpinFire

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
New perpetual securities for retail investors
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/com...launches-offer-of-up-to-s300m-perpetuals-at-6

Key info
For these perps, Hyflux said distributions shall be payable semi-annually in arrears on May 27 and Nov 27 of each year, with the first payment of distributions scheduled to be made on Nov 27, 2016.

On or after the May 2020 distribution payment, however, the rate may be reset to the swap offer rate (SOR) on the relevant reset date plus an initial spread of 4.2 per cent per annum plus a step-up margin of 2 per cent per annum, Hyflux added.

Initial comments
Hyflux previously issued cumulative preferred shares in 2011 (more details here and here) with a 6% p.a. payout.

Actually I think that the 2011 issue could be a better deal. It's currently trading at ~4% with about 2 years left to next redemption date (yield-to-worst) and ~7.4% if it's not redeemed (yield to maturity).

More comments welcome!

Last edited:

kehyi4

Reaction score
From bondsupermart, Hyflux has these bonds and perps outstanding:

HYFSP 3.500% 21Jul2016 Corp (SGD)
HYFSP 4.250% 07Sep2018 Corp (SGD)
HYFSP 4.200% 29Aug2019 Corp (SGD)
HYFSP 4.600% 23Sep2019 Corp (SGD)

HYFSP 6.000% Perpetual Pref (SGD) - Retail
HYFSP 6.000% Perpetual Corp (SGD) - Retail
HYFSP 5.750% Perpetual Corp (SGD)
HYFSP 4.800% Perpetual Corp (SGD)

I think the new issue is meant to replace the Jul 2016 one, rather than the 6% CPS

SpinFire

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From bondsupermart, Hyflux has these bonds and perps outstanding:

HYFSP 3.500% 21Jul2016 Corp (SGD)
HYFSP 4.250% 07Sep2018 Corp (SGD)
HYFSP 4.200% 29Aug2019 Corp (SGD)
HYFSP 4.600% 23Sep2019 Corp (SGD)

HYFSP 6.000% Perpetual Pref (SGD) - Retail
HYFSP 6.000% Perpetual Corp (SGD) - Retail
HYFSP 5.750% Perpetual Corp (SGD)
HYFSP 4.800% Perpetual Corp (SGD)

I think the new issue is meant to replace the Jul 2016 one, rather than the 6% CPS

Arh you're right. I didn't see the other issues.

I think they'll redeem the 4.8% Perp. It has a step-up on 29 July 2016

Last edited:

kehyi4

Reaction score
Arh you're right. I didn't see the other issues.

I think they'll redeem the 4.8% Perp. It has a step-up on 29 July 2016
yeah, the 4.8% perp is 175mil, the 3.5% Jul16 is 100mil, so they'll need 275mil.

The new issue is 300mil, just nice.

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
EDIT: PHS is out, wow, seems like a damn good deal unless Hyflux calls it back (it's an "all or nothing" callable, first call date May 2020)? Usually this sort of terms is only available for institutionals/AIs, I think. And at 6% for the next 4 years...wow. If the 4-year SOR rate goes up in 2020, Hyflux will definitely have to call this.

Last edited:

w1rbelw1nd

Master Member
Reaction score
EDIT: PHS is out, wow, seems like a damn good deal unless Hyflux calls it back (it's an "all or nothing" callable, first call date May 2020)? Usually this sort of terms is only available for institutionals/AIs, I think. And at 6% for the next 4 years...wow. If the 4-year SOR rate goes up in 2020, Hyflux will definitely have to call this.
So in your opinion the returns is enough to justify the risk involved for this?

Sent from OnePlus A0001 using GAGT

SpinFire

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Any idea which period SOR rate is applied for the step-up option?

Oh found it, using 4 year SOR. Didn't know there's a 4 year SOR option, thought its 1m 3m 6m lol

Last edited:

arctician

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
definitely gg to press this, its a no brainer

still rem in 2011 hyflux CPS 6% was up 3-4% on first day of trading and i was only allocated 20% of placement

anyone know when can press?

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Public Offer and Placement begins TOMORROW 18 May, 9am. Closing date 25 May 12 noon.

Last edited:

SpinFire

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Public Offer and Placement begins TOMORROW 18 May, 9am. Closing date 25 May 12 noon.

The placement size so small, it'll probably be filled within a day. Think I'll press a small amount to expand my bond portfolio

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The placement size so small, it'll probably be filled within a day. Think I'll press a small amount to expand my bond portfolio

Yeah it's geared towards public. IIRC this was the practice for the previous one also. Not sure if the CEO wants everyone to share the wealth, or it's a sign of weakness on their balance sheets.

Personally I think it's good to hold if you're holding the shares, as it will hedge against the unstable dividends on it.

arctician

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how come no official banner or brochure one huh

very hush hush sia..if never see this thread i will nvr know

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Haha hush hush is good what, no meh? Anyway it was announced on SGX website, corporate announcements page this morning.

BTW prospectus and PHS are out liao on MAS OPERA.

arctician

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha hush hush is good what, no meh? Anyway it was announced on SGX website, corporate announcements page this morning.

BTW prospectus and PHS are out liao on MAS OPERA.

yea but usually will be on TODAY or mypaper

hush also good..very hard to get allocation one

if want to get allocated $10K, min must press for $50k

SpinFire

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

This issue was just announced this morning only. You should see the advertisements all over the papers from tomorrow

w1rbelw1nd

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's geared towards public. IIRC this was the practice for the previous one also. Not sure if the CEO wants everyone to share the wealth, or it's a sign of weakness on their balance sheets.

Personally I think it's good to hold if you're holding the shares, as it will hedge against the unstable dividends on it.
Not so sure if "hedge" is the appropriate word here, since the risk is still to the same company and its industry.

In the first place, if you want stable dividnends, you wouldn't want to invest in a EPC contractor right?

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not so sure if "hedge" is the appropriate word here, since the risk is still to the same company and its industry.

In the first place, if you want stable dividnends, you wouldn't want to invest in a EPC contractor right?

haha true, that. but i look from it as a "total exposure" view, i.e. how much has been allocated. if buying a bond makes the yield more stable, and stabilizes the common stock's volatility, yeah why not?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.