The Hair Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

nichsong

Reaction score
That I can definitely help you with. I've personally used the By Vilain Products - Really love the dynamite clay, matte finish(a touch of natural shine, not completely dry matte), all day hold. Or if you can afford the extra cash, try out Morris Motley's Treatment Styling Balm. Morris Motley has been all the hype recently and for good reason. Great performing products, really great ingredients that are good for your hair. But if you're looking to try things out first, I'd say go for dynamite clay. You can find it over at hairbroducts :)

On a side note - One of the best ways to prevent dry hair is to make sure you invest in a good quality shampoo and conditioner. Theprettyjerk has a solid range of quality shampoos, conditioners and treatment products that work damn well. I'll vouch for that.

*ADDITIONALLY*
Have you heard of the term pre-styling? If you haven't, you must definitely check it out.
This has been the game changer for my hairstyling game. I personally use sea salt spray as my pre styler prior to applying the finishing product (clays, waxes etc)

I know this sounds like a lot to take in, a lot of products and hence alot of money that needs to be spent lol. But trust me, invest in quality products and you'll eventually see that its worth every dollar spent. Start slowly first, maybe with the dynamite clay :) Let us know what your experience is like!

Thanks bro for the detailed write up! u are very very right after my hair wash it tends to get very dry up. Please recommend me some waxes of the matte type which will be simiar to ubersauve if you dont mind. Thanks!

jason910

Master Member
Reaction score
That I can definitely help you with. I've personally used the By Vilain Products - Really love the dynamite clay, matte finish(a touch of natural shine, not completely dry matte), all day hold. Or if you can afford the extra cash, try out Morris Motley's Treatment Styling Balm. Morris Motley has been all the hype recently and for good reason. Great performing products, really great ingredients that are good for your hair. But if you're looking to try things out first, I'd say go for dynamite clay. You can find it over at hairbroducts :)

On a side note - One of the best ways to prevent dry hair is to make sure you invest in a good quality shampoo and conditioner. Theprettyjerk has a solid range of quality shampoos, conditioners and treatment products that work damn well. I'll vouch for that.

*ADDITIONALLY*
Have you heard of the term pre-styling? If you haven't, you must definitely check it out.
This has been the game changer for my hairstyling game. I personally use sea salt spray as my pre styler prior to applying the finishing product (clays, waxes etc)

I know this sounds like a lot to take in, a lot of products and hence alot of money that needs to be spent lol. But trust me, invest in quality products and you'll eventually see that its worth every dollar spent. Start slowly first, maybe with the dynamite clay :) Let us know what your experience is like!

You are really very experienced and helpful. I have done pre styling each time i time i applied my ubersauve however i have not used sea salt spray but mostly my gatsby hair spray. will personally try what you have recommended. I do agree with you that investing in quality products will help you in alot ways. Thanks once again for your detailed tips.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
which is the best online site to purchase combs and pomades? currently using ubersauve and previously tried to order from shopee but they never deliver my products.

Is Sg Pomades a good place to buy online?

Thanks

simi pomade?

dj_flame

Reaction score
Is Ubersauve a local brand?

I got one as a free gift. Gave it away after a few uses. :D

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Realise they do not carry Ubersauve, any other good water based strong hold waxes to recommend? I prefer the matte type. Thanks

waxes are not water based.

if you want strong wax, the strongest i ever used was gold digger by vilain but it dries up fast. however that's the reason why it is strong.

if you're looking to spend a little more money on better quality product, morris motley treatment balm is the way to go.

if you wanna try something that is pretty hyped up, blumaan original, its either a hit or miss for this product.

if you want "water based" stuff, blind barber 90 works like a wax-cream, its call a pomade for marketing purposes.

generally all the waxes above are pretty easy to wash off.

i would recommend the blind barber shampoo and conditioner combo or try vogne shampoo and conditioner.

blind barber shampoo cleans better but vogne shampoo is more moisturising.

jason910

Master Member
Reaction score

if you want strong wax, the strongest i ever used was gold digger by vilain but it dries up fast. however that's the reason why it is strong.

if you're looking to spend a little more money on better quality product, morris motley treatment balm is the way to go.

if you wanna try something that is pretty hyped up, blumaan original, its either a hit or miss for this product.

if you want "water based" stuff, blind barber 90 works like a wax-cream, its call a pomade for marketing purposes.

i would recommend the blind barber shampoo and conditioner combo or try vogne shampoo and conditioner.

Thanks! Will try out a few products

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You're quite right about the BB shampoo but I wouldn't reccomend it. It's extremely drying.

Its actually the ubersauve that is making it very dry after wash. I will always use a conditioner with it.
Time to change your product. As per GX BB90 is good but I personally fiind it more pliable and less "strong". Gold Digger is pretty "strong" and washes out quite easily.

FWIW BB Shampoo, Gold Digger and BB90 are part of my current rotation.

I wouldn't reccomend water based anything in our weather because the humidity kills any hold or volume pretty easily. You have to keep in mind that ang moh countries where the products are formulated have relatively low humidity which makes using those products more feasible.

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You're quite right about the BB shampoo but I wouldn't reccomend it. It's extremely drying.

Time to change your product. As per GX BB90 is good but I personally fiind it more pliable and less "strong". Gold Digger is pretty "strong" and washes out quite easily.

FWIW BB Shampoo, Gold Digger and BB90 are part of my current rotation.

I wouldn't reccomend water based anything in our weather because the humidity kills any hold or volume pretty easily. You have to keep in mind that ang moh countries where the products are formulated have relatively low humidity which makes using those products more feasible.

wow, cannot agree more :s22:

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Its actually the ubersauve that is making it very dry after wash. I will always use a conditioner with it.

change your wax and try vogne shampoo and conditioner.

use already hair soft soft sibei song

whysoliddat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Some wax are (technically) water based.

Nah i dont think they name it pomade for marketing purposes. Pomades are just the (original) general term for (traditional/oldshool/contemporary) hairstyling product.

I mean, pomade is the Grandfather of hairstyling product...

Sent from Samsung GT-I9505 using GAGT

nichsong

Reaction score
Yes, touching on that, correct me if I'm wrong but if "Aqua" is listed as the first ingredient on the list (which means its the main/base ingredient) means that the product is water based, haha.

As for the pomade part I think it's cos the trend right now is yknw, bringing back old school barbershops, pomades and slickback hairstyles/quiffs. So "pomade" - an even more generally used term than ever, is used to describe or rather market out many of the hair products nowadays - to go with this new trend.

But after awhile one will more or less be able to differentiate which of these "pomades" are actually technically waxes (beeswax content) or clays (bentonite content) for example. The use for the term "pomade" has kind of evolved to fit the current trend and marketing methods for hair products.

Nah i dont think they name it pomade for marketing purposes. Pomades are just the (original) general term for (traditional/oldshool/contemporary) hairstyling product.

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

No lah. Pomade because the current trend is #pomade everything mah.

V strict definitions of the product would disqualify a lot of the "pomades" from being named as such. Just that there aren't any regulatory bodies controlling it.

Pomade= Slick+shiny
Wax= Matte

It's simply about jumping on the bandwagon and making money based on current trends at the expense of confusing the consumer.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

yeap, but still pomade. hahaha

its definitely marketing. haha hipsters uses pomade

blind barber quite hipster in terms of marketing and branding

nichsong

Reaction score
Hahaha agreed, tbh marketing is still damn bloody important no matter how good your product is. Heck, even if its a sheet product, customers are still gonna buy if you manage to convince them that its some kind of magic cream for your hair.

No lah. Pomade because the current trend is #pomade everything mah.

V strict definitions of the product would disqualify a lot of the "pomades" from being named as such. Just that there aren't any regulatory bodies controlling it.

Pomade= Slick+shiny
Wax= Matte

It's simply about jumping on the bandwagon and making money based on current trends at the expense of confusing the consumer.

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To add on, actually water based or not is another confusing terms. Most styling products will be water based because it is the most widely available neutral solvent.

When you level up a bit washability and learning how to read the ingredients list will be more important.

nomoreliaola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
paiseh, noobie question i am looking for non-oily (meaning washing off is not oily) and relatively ez to wash off and can hold my hair relatively well. my hair is quite dry and i usually style my hair into a natural mess with no parting.

have used Gatsby moving rubber before but realised that when my hair gets longer, its no longer sufficient to hold my hair. ...

any recommendation ma?

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
paiseh, noobie question i am looking for non-oily (meaning washing off is not oily) and relatively ez to wash off and can hold my hair relatively well. my hair is quite dry and i usually style my hair into a natural mess with no parting.

have used Gatsby moving rubber before but realised that when my hair gets longer, its no longer sufficient to hold my hair. ...

any recommendation ma?

morris motley:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.