View Single Post
Old 22-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #16
theblueark

Someone PM'ed me, but I think might as well share here as well.

hi saw your post .Some questions to ask you

1) What is your Bach deg profile ? Do you need a good deg to apply ?

2) What is the GPA required to graduate ?

3) Is 2 modules in 1 sem ok? Since you have completed the course
within 2 yrs. is 3 modules in 1 sem overloaded ?

4) is the assignment / exam tough ? I hope they will try to pass everyone

5) What is your age? what is your advice for mid age ppl (40 & above)
to embark the MSC

thanks
1) What is your Bach deg profile ? Do you need a good deg to apply ?
Depends on each school and each program coordinator. For the particular program I took, they were more interested in people with work experience. I only had a Bach with merit when I applied, not even 3rd class honours. NUS is a lot stricter on minimum Bach degree requirements.

2) What is the GPA required to graduate ?
There is Term GPA and Cumulative GPA. Each semester you should get at least 2.5, if not you will get an academic warning. If the next consecutive term still less than 2.5 they will terminate. At the end of all terms, your CGPA also needs to be at least 2.5.

3) Is 2 modules in 1 sem ok? Since you have completed the course within 2 yrs. is 3 modules in 1 sem overloaded ?
I find 2 modules per sem comfortable for absorbing the knowledge. My classmates who took 3 modules in some semesters seem ok also. I guess it's how you balance your other parts of life.

4) is the assignment / exam tough ? I hope they will try to pass everyone
I think they do try to pass everyone. But there are some lecturers with stricter principles. To me assignments are easy, they are only a fraction of work compared to the reports and documents I have to create at my job. Presentations are easy too and much more relaxed than presenting to customers. Exams need preparation and study, unless it's a field you are already an expert in. Those with a lot of formulas and things to memorize will typically allow a single-page, A4 cheat sheet to be brought into the exam hall. You will see people squeezing loads of stuff in size 6 font and some even bring a magnifying glass

5) What is your age? what is your advice for mid age ppl (40 & above) to embark the MSC
I'm in my mid 30's. There were a number of people closer to 40, and I later found out a senior colleague had taken the same Msc a year before, and he is 50+. There is always room to learn and upgrade ourselves. At the lessons, interact with lecturers, tell your stories and experiences. Or ask questions and see if the lecturer or anyone has solutions to share. It's the chance to pick up useful skills from other people in an open environment without the politics of the office where some people are unwilling to share their secret kung fu moves.
theblueark is offline   Reply With Quote