samsung pay

Omnia1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Samsung Pay supposedly emulates a magnetic swipe card so that it can work on existing credit card terminals. Would this work in Singapore as well which has moved to chip based credit cards?

Sent from Sony SGP621 using GAGT

earthtk

Reaction score
Check your email guys.. I got mine :D.. But now.... what kind of payment is supported?

id0n0van

Reaction score
it will not work... transaction will be declined by banks.

Seen some people using Samsung Pa on those super old terminals.. doesn't seem like their transactions got declined. I doubt they need to change any special settings bah.. haha..

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seen some people using Samsung Pa on those super old terminals.. doesn't seem like their transactions got declined. I doubt they need to change any special settings bah.. haha..

overseas or local? For overseas, they are not regulated by MAS, so unlikely to apply in singapore as well.

When will they inform us of the Samsung Pay beta test?

according to a samsung representative, users who indicated their interested will be notified if they are selected for the beta, or not.

There's a high chance it should work, that's the premise of MST working on existing terminals.

Applepay just launched today, anyone signed up for the beta test?

You a bit no link. one side apple pay the other side samsung pay.. :D

If i am not mistaken, the conventional magnetic swipe shouldn't work at all according to previous MAS regulation, that conventional magnetic swipe cards must carry EMV chip and that local usage will be disabled for all swipe transactions. However, i don't know if the banks/MAS will lift this regulation to allow MST to kick in. I'll try tomorrow if i can.

Of course for cards with overseas swipe enabled, it will of cos work without doubt...

id0n0van

Reaction score
overseas or local? For overseas, they are not regulated by MAS, so unlikely to apply in singapore as well.

according to a samsung representative, users who indicated their interested will be notified if they are selected for the beta, or not.

You a bit no link. one side apple pay the other side samsung pay.. :D

If i am not mistaken, the conventional magnetic swipe shouldn't work at all according to previous MAS regulation, that conventional magnetic swipe cards must carry EMV chip and that local usage will be disabled for all swipe transactions. However, i don't know if the banks/MAS will lift this regulation to allow MST to kick in. I'll try tomorrow if i can.

Of course for cards with overseas swipe enabled, it will of cos work without doubt...

Saw those people using DBS/POSB cards leh.. So.. Guess it's local? Haha. Looking real forward to adding my own DBS/POSB card though.. Looking to see how it will work here, haa

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
recevied email from samsung also.. email just say selected for beta test so just add card and try to use.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'm asking. I never received any email yet.

never receive email never mind, just fire up your samsung pay app.

if you are in the beta test program, you will be prompt to download an add-on which is 46mb large. from there you can proceed to start adding cards and tune your announcement preferences.

Zip-Zilla

Master Member
Reaction score
never receive email never mind, just fire up your samsung pay app.

if you are in the beta test program, you will be prompt to download an add-on which is 46mb large. from there you can proceed to start adding cards and tune your announcement preferences.
Whoa! Didn't realise that...

Edit: Couldn't add the Samsung Pay PIN but got it working after a device restart.

Last edited:

earthtk

Reaction score
Bo email leh. What the email state? Share leh

Haha say congratulations you are selected as a beta tester for Samsung pay.. Blah blah... But I think if you open Samsung pay app you should see if you are a tester

lxLionHartxl

Reaction score
Samsung Pay supposedly emulates a magnetic swipe card so that it can work on existing credit card terminals. Would this work in Singapore as well which has moved to chip based credit cards?

Yes it will work. The design for the MST is to emulate the magnetic stripe and the EMV chips our local banks are currently using. Samsung Pay will also be able to support overseas payment too. So with these features, Samsung Pay can be your international wallets :)

Omnia1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now the trick is to educate the cashier. In the initial period, don't know how many of them would be in tune with these latest payment methods. Imagine telling a cashier I want to tap the credit card terminal with my phone to pay, she'll probably think I'm mad! ... Lol

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.