4k UHD players discussion thread

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have the LG BP740 bought last year with 4K upscaling. So which means it's also UHD-able right?

No, 4K upscale is not native 4K nor UHD.
You still need a UHD player and UHD content to get UHD.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why wanna buy discs when you can stream 4k? Although not all content are in 4k though..

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

When a movie is stream both video and audio is compress
so it will not be that bandwidth intense.
Which means audio is unfortunately in Dolby Digital track
as compared with blu ray disc with either Dolby Digital TrueHD
or DTS Master Audio.

But of course for those using solely a TV without any
surround setup or soundbar to watch movie.
You don't need Dolby Digital TrueHD
or DTS Master Audio.

http://www.whathifi.com/features/4k-blu-ray-beats-4k-netflix-ultimate-ultra-hd-experience

petetherock

Reaction score
I thought it's an insightful post and applicable to us too..

And pretty much spot on.
And unlike USA, where even if only 30% of the viewing public are willing to go 4k, and make it viable. Very few places in the world have that kind of volume, to make the discs cheap enough..

So those waiting for mass adoption of 4k will need to wait that much longer..
http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topic/203102-the-official-4k-ultra-h-d-blu-ray-thread/?p=2073871
It's simple : just check out the latest JB Hifi printed brochure - dated Wed 8 June - - then check out the movie / TV section - and NOTE that there are prices for DVDs - and no mention of Blu prices.

Have a real think about it - JB aren't proactively advertising Blu prices - because they are DEARER. (let's save the discussion on those people that only buy when they are on discount)

And suddenly.... consumers need to wait for a new player ?? and higher prices ?? Gee.... if consumers aren't buying cheap Blu players (yep - you can pick up a Samsung Blu player for $98) then are you expecting them to rush our for a $598 4K one ?? What is the driver going to be ?? Come on - I think most of us here are of an 'age; that we have seen the home theatre / media market for the past 30 years - and we can more or less predict what will happen.

4K is a sub market inside the Blu market - consumers aren't going to go from DVD to 4K.

Bit like DVD Audio - what ever happened to that ??

And what is in it for JB ?? It's just another product line - 'they' wont be discounting the 4K discs - it will be the distributors (eg Sony) whom will have to take the 'bite' out of the price. Then... Sony will need to evaluate what the sales numbers are, compared to DVD and Blu. If the local distributors aren't making as much on 4K ... and there is only JB and maybe inSanity selling them - then how is the market going to 'expand' ??... where are the sales going to come from ??

We look at this new product with 'rosy glasses' - reality is that it there are not many products available to consumers in so many different forms. You buy a book - printed or digital - you don't buy the special edition, the low definition book, the high definition book, or the even better edition book... it's the same with music - CD or digital. The movie studios are thinking that consumers are cash cows on each different format. And then there is streaming ..... who knows what the current impact that is having on older catalog titles ??? Sure - I double dipped on Independence Day (on the wicked Wednesday) but how many other consumers would upgrade the same time from DVD or an older Blu ?? not many.

petetherock

Reaction score
This may be the first to come here, not because it's a 4k player, but because it's a game machine..
And remember the PS3?
This may be how many enter the 4k world:
https://www.microsoftstore.com/stor...ID.3366999700?icid=US_Homepage_STH1_EDM_61316
en-INTL-L-Xbox-One-Edmonton-Launch-2DZ-00001-mnco.jpg

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This may be the first to come here, not because it's a 4k player, but because it's a game machine..
And remember the PS3?
This may be how many enter the 4k world:
https://www.microsoftstore.com/stor...ID.3366999700?icid=US_Homepage_STH1_EDM_61316
en-INTL-L-Xbox-One-Edmonton-Launch-2DZ-00001-mnco.jpg

Not known at this type whether it supports HDCP 2.2 and of
cuz the price.
I guess it will not be cheap given it is the first of it's kind UHD
Game console.
Not really a fan of Xbox sadly cuz their contents lack behind
Sony especially exclusive titles.

I be dropping by Adelphi later, will see whether any UHD players
are in SG.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have been waiting quite a long time to write to HVN regarding UHD Disc:

Dear HVN,

I understand that the growing trend in Singapore for movies or drama, most prefer to
obtain movies or drama through digital stores or sharing sites.
Why I am quoting this is because despite there the trend these days are towards digital media
but there are a small group of customers who still prefer to buy CD version of movies or drama.

With not much retail shops that are selling DVD/Blu ray which are CD-Rama and Poh Kim
since HMV, Laserflair (The largest DVD/Blu ray store since the early years with TS video)
has shut their doors.

Even with CD-Rama or Poh Kim, the Blu ray titles are very limited or should I say majority
are ex stocks or past titles since the demand is close to none so they don't stock new titles.
I have a been supporter for Blu ray based movies despite their high price.

Lately I have noticed that in a local online Home Theater enthusiast forum, some are wondering
will UHD be coming to Singapore? Will HVN be looking at bring in UHD disc despite the changing trend
and the extremely low demand for CD based movies?

I also wonder what will be the fate for the remaining CD stores like CD-Rama or Poh Kim will they also
eventually shut their doors?
I hope to hear from HVN regarding this matter so I could share with those who are wondering whether UHD will or will not be coming to Singapore.

Will wait for their reply regarding this matter and will keep those interested in UHD updated.
Cheers!

petetherock

Reaction score
A summary of 4k sources:

UHD discs - you can buy from online sources like Amazon, yesasia etc
Netflix
Amazon also offers 4k streaming

Kinda 4k : youtube - some of their streaming is 4k

Do note that only the first option gives you lossless sound as well.

richardtanbh

Reaction score
4k UHD Blu Ray Player

Is there anyone here had purchased a 4K UHD Panasonic or Samsung Blu Ray Player direct from UK and have it shipped here in Singapore. Please provide name of the retailer and contact infors if any. Really appreciate your help. Thank you.

petetherock

Reaction score
Amazon UK will ship a Panasonic to SG.
Take note of the Blu Ray regions. UHD is region free.

richardtanbh

Reaction score
4K UHD Blu Ray Player

Thank you so much. Yes, fully aware about player region code, region free for UHD disc. Just curious to know besides Amazon UK who else has purchased it elsewhere in the UK.
Bought OPPO 105D Blu ray player from Anson Audio early last year. Heard OPPO will be marketing 4K UHD player in the States end of this year/early next year, maybe I'll check with Anson Audio if they intend to bring it in & sell it by then.

petetherock

Reaction score
The Samsung has reached our shores, and by year end, Oppo will also be in Singapore..

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Samsung has reached our shores, and by year end, Oppo will also be in Singapore..

So far no 4K/UHD Blu ray disc spotted in retailer like Poh Kim.
4K media have to ship from Amazon, not sure will SG have
the 4K eventually.

petetherock

Reaction score
The big stores don't really care about the software.. they know most Singaporeans are too cost conscious to buy 4k discs, but they also want a 4k player which can play DVDs and upscale to the 4k TVs that they are selling.

For the savvy few, buying 4k discs off amazon is the way to go. But at 30USD a disc, only the hobbyists are buying right now.

Since 4k discs are region free, one can buy in countries like Australia, where there are sale to help early adoption.

For the rest, they are still trying to watch pseudo-4k youtube videos...

BLaDe28

Reaction score
Anyone waiting for the XBox One S to reach our shores? I heard that it's a pretty decent UHD/3D bluray, DVD and CD player, on top of that it's a big improvement over the already solid XBox One in terms of power consumption, noise and footprint, all for about S$600! Plus I believe it has 2 HDMI out ports for those who have older AV receivers like mine!

Slated to reach SG next month...time to order my UHD blurays from Amazon! :s12::s12::s12:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.