[Maylyn - Networking - Preview] ASUS BRT-AC828M2 Router

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
As usual, you guys will be the first to see what ASUS TW networking has to offer, which no one else in the world has yet mention it on the WWW.

A simple Google search reveal none besides the red-dot 21 design :D

The next ASUS flagship router from ASUS TW is coming :D, (I already got the green light from ASUS TW, which i can reveal the SKU) but specifications/performance/sales date/price are still currently under embargo until further notice.

~ Teaser ~

ASUS BRT-AC828M2 router

ASUS BRT-AC828 is a high-end wireless router, succeeded from its previous generation. The new model is embedded with duo-chip processor set, sharply decrease the disconnecting failure and greatly improve the transmitting performance. The hidden venting holes are well integrated inside the aerodynamic top case design, optimizing the cooling channel. The side profile and 3D pattern is designed to imitate the visible air flow, enhancing its air dynamic and powerful product image. To discover in more detail, the metallic antenna core can be found through the delicate split cut, revealing the boundless data transmission. The entire design is shaped and trimmed by multiple and neat surfaces, showing the perfect match of authentic and extraordinary performance. The ASUS BRT-AC828/M2 is aiming at top-class users, performs even more beyond expectation.

From ~> http://red-dot-21.com/design/asus-brt-ac828/

Stay tuned in the coming days which more details will be reveal :D

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Official ASUS Press Release @ Computex Taipei 2016

Business networking with ASUS BRT-AC828/M2

ASUS BRT-AC828/M2 is an 802.11ac router designed for startups or small businesses, branch offices, or classrooms. It features a 4x4 MIMO antenna design and ASUS AiRadar beamforming to provide users with fast and stable Wi-Fi coverage. Dual wide-area network (WAN) ports provide ultimate speed and reliability with a combined data rate of up to 2Gbps and a backup connection. It features an M.2 SSD slot for fast data transfers and larger storage capacity for backing up files.

The BRT-AC828/M2’s Captive Portal function lets business owners customize their free Wi-Fi welcome page for customers; while the RADIUS server and Device Group features let administrators manage all devices on the network with ease.

Link ~> http://press.asus.com/PressReleases...ing-Innovations-at-Computex-2016#.V0z5jVQiPws

A glimpse on how captive portal and Free WiFi GUI looks like ;)

Do note this might not be the final version and subjected to changes without prior notice.

This includes the main and sub menu tabs as well :)

Captive Portal

Free WiFi

Update ~ 04 Jun 2016

More detailed pictures showing the rows of LED indicating as ;)

Power On, 1-8 LAN, 2.4GHz, 5GHz, 2x Internet, Failover, SSD

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
ASUS BRT-AC828M2 Official Specs

Got the ASUS TW's go ahead to reveal the official specs ....

This is the first ASUS networking router based on QCA (QualComm Atheros) latest networking solutions.

~ Specs as follows ~

1). CPU ~ QCA IPQ8065 1.7GHz dual core Krait 300 CPU
2). WiFi ~ 2x QCA9984 4X4:4 Wave2 MU-MIMO 160MHz for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (80MHz+80MHz)
(Specs is ready but 160 drivers are not ready yet)
3). LAN Switch ~ (LAN:1 x RLT8370MB + WAN: 2 x QCA8033)
4). Fully hardware NAT dual WAN for Internet speeds up to 2Gbps with 8x real backbone GbE LAN ports (Realtek RTL8370MB 8 ports) with 2x set of bonding ports

5). Dedicated QCA HW AES/3DES/SHA crypto accelerator engine.
6). 256MB Flash
7). 512MB DDR3 RAM
8). 2 x USB 3.0 (with eject button)
9). Support Failover, Teaming (aggregation) on SLA (Static Link Aggregation), 802.3ad Aggregation
10). Support SATA/AHCI M.2 SSD up to the current biggest 500GB size available in the market - Samsung Evo 850 500GB M.2 SSD (Do note - M.2 NVME based SSD are not supported)

Just to illustrate why is this ASUS BRT-AC828M2 is fully dual WAN 1Gbps capable up to 2Gbps and hardware NAT router.

One picture is worth more than a thousand words :D

Do note the SpeedTest is to show that this ASUS BRT-AC828M2 is more capable to achieve this kind of performance rating with ease and fully NAT HW accelerated barely with any CPU loading.

All the other aspects of the performance indicators (WiFi, OpenVPN, IPSec, USB3.0, M.2 SSD etc) are still in embargo @ ASUS TW discretion.

Lastly, many thanks to ViewQwest and ASUS TW's BRT-AC828M2 team for allowing me to contribute to this particular collaboration.

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
22/06/2016

Back with some updates .....

Finally got some time to go pick up my Samsung EVO 850 500GB M.2 SSD, so i have swap out my Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512GB and replace with it :(

It's my fault that i jumped the gun without knowing that the ASUS BRT-AC828M2 support only AHCI/SATA M.2 SSD, nevertheless it's nothing biggie as i still can use the Samsung 950 Pro NVME on the upcoming ASUS X99-E 10G WS motherboard ^^

This time round .... all swee swee :)

Before

After

WebUI (Format)

WebUI (Information)

Very simple and easy to map as a network drive and use it ;) I have crop out the performance indicators as it's still under embargo by ASUS TW. All these will be reveal when i have the approval.

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid that doing the actual un-boxing is not possible as the actual BRT828 box, labels and information are currently still under embargo :s22: until i have received the green light from ASUS TW/SG.

Nevertheless i still post on those that what i have posted before ^^

Actual ASUS BRT-AC828

Specs change - 128MB Flash to 256MB Flash

AC Adapter

Rear

Do note default SSID as ASUS_40_2G and ASUS_40_5G

M.2 SATA slot (socket3)

It's comes with the M.2 hand screw as well.

My rig got overhaul to ASUS X99-E-10G WS from ASRock X99-E-WS 10G and back to custom water cooling (still work in progress)

1). ASUS X99-E-10G WS (2x Intel X550 10GbE LAN)
2). Intel 5960X
3). 2x Samsung 960 Pro 2TB (M.2), Samsung 950 512GB (M.2), 1.2TB Intel 750, 2x Nvidia Titan X Pascal
4). 2x 10GbE LAN NIC
5). ASUS PCE-AC88

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Back with some more updates (19/01/2017)

Hatching on antennas

Re-setting up in progress :s13:

Some WebUI teaser

Network Map

Access Control

Customisable VLAN

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
OpenSSL - 06/02/2017

Left result - ASUS BRT-AC828
Right result - ASUS RT-AC88U

AES 128

AES 256

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Updated with ASUS BRT-AC828M2 Official Press Release @ Computex Taipei 2016 ;)

Official ASUS Press Release @ Computex Taipei 2016

Business networking with ASUS BRT-AC828/M2

ASUS BRT-AC828/M2 is an 802.11ac router designed for startups or small businesses, branch offices, or classrooms. It features a 4x4 MIMO antenna design and ASUS AiRadar beamforming to provide users with fast and stable Wi-Fi coverage. Dual wide-area network (WAN) ports provide ultimate speed and reliability with a combined data rate of up to 2Gbps and a backup connection. It features an M.2 SSD slot for fast data transfers and larger storage capacity for backing up files.

The BRT-AC828/M2’s Captive Portal function lets business owners customize their free Wi-Fi welcome page for customers; while the RADIUS server and Device Group features let administrators manage all devices on the network with ease.

Link ~> http://press.asus.com/PressReleases...ing-Innovations-at-Computex-2016#.V0z5jVQiPws

From Techbang.com

@ ~> http://www.techbang.com/posts/43745-2016-computer-d

2016 台北國際電腦展 50 項創新設計獎 D&I Awards

6c51971253985ff1b8cab1c710a9ce3e.jpg

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
A glimpse on how Captive Portal and Free WiFi GUI looks like ;)

Do note this might not be the final version and subjected to changes without prior notice.

This includes the main and sub menu tabs as well :)

Wireless - Captive Portal

Free WiFi

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Would some of the features be coming to RT88U?

Maybe some of the new features are able to port over to the ASUS RT-AC88U or cannot as I still don't have the finalised ASUS BRT-AC828M2 feature list and interoperability. It's all in the hands of the ASUS TW BRT-AC828M2 team.

Some of the new features already undergoing testing and compatibility test.

Just stay tuned when i have the green light to reveal more.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Guess the smaller cat is out of the bag as well :D

Introducing the smaller sibling ASUS BRT-AC414 router ;)

ASUS BRT-AC414

ASUS BRT-AC828M2

ASUS shows the BRT AC414 and AC828 / M2 two new routers for business (SMB) operation at Computex. The main feature of these new devices is formed by the presence of two gigabit WAN ports. These can be used as a fail-over, so that when one fails, the other takes over it, but also for applications VLAN.

Both routers support the 802.11a / b / g / n / c standard and are also equipped with USB 2.0 and 3.0. The BRT AC828 / M2, the top model is equipped with a 4x4 antenna design, a built-in 8-port switch and an M.2 SSD card slot. The BRT AC414 has to do with the 2x2 antenna design and an integrated 4-port switch.

The new ASUS routers are expected on the market in coming months.

Image Credits ~> http://nl.hardware.info

From ~> http://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/4815...rs-met-twee-wan-poorten-voor-zakelijk-gebruik (Google Translate)

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
More detailed pictures showing the rows of LED indicating as ;)

Power On, 1-8 LAN, 2.4GHz, 5GHz, 2x Internet, Failover, SSD

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.