Mechanical KB information

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

just wanted to share some information and details about what I've learnt about mech kb.

this is something that I think everyone should at least give a try. truly life changing.

I almost don't understand how I lived thru all those years using the membrane kb, but to be honest, I only knew of expensive mech kb (-+$200), and wasn't until recently that I found out they are getting rather accessible ($60 upwards).

in this short time (3 mths), I've managed to try and used a few different branded kb and switch combo. and starting to understand what people mean when they say this switch is "mushy", "too light", and even "too hard".

I have also found out there are almost unlimited version of everything and the sky is truly the limit.

I would like to recommend that everyone maybe give one a try, at least. I don't work for any shops or stores that sell these items, but I feel is, if this is one of the 3 items (mouse and hp being the other 2) that I have to use daily to complete tasks, be it work or play, I think it is worth spending a little more on them to make the experience better/ more shiok.

my knowledge of mech kb are still somewhat limited compared to the pros here, as I only have 2 mech kb.

here are some information I have to share.

I am currently using the Team Wolf Zhuque ten key less keyboard, with tai hao doubleshot abs keycaps, with gateron brown switches. feels really snappy, and I like the feedback of the tactile bump minus the click. it comes with full led though, not rgb or single color, every row is a different color. I use this kb in the office so I turned off the lights, which makes this a very subtle kb, considering the combination. I also used rubber o rings for my keycaps to keep the slightly quieter. the kb feels sturdy, it is usb wired. and has a small footprint on my work desk.

this keyboard came stock with othemu brown switches, which in comparison, felt very mushy. slow to respond, and almost feels sticky. and it came with abs translucent keycaps, for the lights to shine thru. this kb some with hotswappable switches, so I managed to purchase some gateron to try on them. I might consider getting other switches and using this as a test bench of sorts.

I also have a varmillo va87m with brown cherry switches. they feel fast and smoother then the gateron browns, and they also feel sturdier, not that the team wolf kb is fragile by any means, but the va87m just feels more solid, and better build.

for your information, I purchase both my kb (team wolf zhuque, varmillo va87m) from taobao, direct.

I will update this with pictures of what I have and how it looks. but this is roughly what I have for now.

to anyone out there, especially the pros, please share and contribute to this thread.

hope I am contributing to the forum which has provided me with help and information about a lot of stuff. my small way of giving back.

Team Wolf Zhuque

IMG_0462 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_0460 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_0456 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_0455 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_1011 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_0939 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

link for the varmilo

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=44466466182&toSite=main

link for the team wolf zhuque

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=524142355125&toSite=main&skuId=3170743802485

Last edited:

Rock-kun

Reaction score
People can say what they want about the superiority of a mechanical keyboard over the cheap typical membrane and rubber dome keyboards as long as they don't make claims about them being more reliable and longer lasting.

My Ducky keyboard has already had one faulty switch after about a year of use. This never happened on any of my rubber domes or membranes.

xSieghartx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently using a VA87M with ergo clears, unsoldered and swapped out the springs myself. I have 90 first generation 65g Zelios sitting in the storage for my next build, a Korean custom from winkeylesskr. Zelios are switches designed by the geekhack community, basically the best of both worlds from Cherry and Gateron, using Cherry mx clear stem designs (better tactile feedback), and Gateron housings (less wobbliness).

Glad to see others appreciating mechanical keyboards. :D

Typed this on my Pok3r with MX browns at work.

Last edited:

rubbadubbaducky!

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but the amount you spent to upgrade makes it not worth it, I read quite a few reviews saying the stock switches are no good.

*currently using poker 2 with dolch pac keycaps, purely for aesthetics.

SGxiaosin

Reaction score
any budget TKL mechanical key board you guys would recommend for around $100-$150 range?

don't need any backlit lighting

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Reaction score
I put o-rings over my cherry brown keys .... overall the keypress I don't feel any improvement or advantage over my $10 cheapo keyboard that I used for 7 years straight

but can feel the quality build of the keyboard , very solid no flex , heavyweight doesn't push around on the desk

xSieghartx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I put o-rings over my cherry brown keys .... overall the keypress I don't feel any improvement or advantage over my $10 cheapo keyboard that I used for 7 years straight

but can feel the quality build of the keyboard , very solid no flex , heavyweight doesn't push around on the desk
I put O-rings on my Pok3r at work to dampen the sound, it worked at first, but now as the O-rings get seasoned, I feel like it doesn't help much anymore.

Generally I prefer to use my keyboard without O-rings, so there's more of a "clack", did you add O-rings so you could get a more mushy feel?

jess_sy

Reaction score
Any good recommendation for Mechanical Keyboard (Backlit, No need to be RGB) ?

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Reaction score
I put O-rings on my Pok3r at work to dampen the sound, it worked at first, but now as the O-rings get seasoned, I feel like it doesn't help much anymore.

Generally I prefer to use my keyboard without O-rings, so there's more of a "clack", did you add O-rings so you could get a more mushy feel?
for sound reason , late night very audible

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
but the amount you spent to upgrade makes it not worth it, I read quite a few reviews saying the stock switches are no good.

*currently using poker 2 with dolch pac keycaps, purely for aesthetics.

stock switches are not fantastic, but a good place to start. and i am kindda using this kb as a "test bench", for new switches, or keycaps, and what not, as this is hotswappable, which is imo, totally perfect for this reason.

and they also do sell the kb bare, like without switches or keycaps, albeit, not too much cheaper.

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score

i added o rings to try, as i've never had them with before, (paid $3 for 100pcs of black rubber o rings). so i thought why not. i won't say i love it or hate it, but i do like how it is not as audible.

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score
I tried 2 brands of mech keyboards.

Razer blackwidow x chroma / razer blackwidow 2016 stealth

Corsair k70 mx reds / corsair k70 rapidfire

The razer bw 2016 stealth uses somewhat similar to cherry browns. Kinda like it but i sold away for the blackwidow x chroma as i wanted a rgb backlit kb. Use the blackwidow x chroma for about 3 weeks..and to my horror..the metal backplate turned rusty. Was informed by a friend its a known issue esp in Singapore and Thailand..probably due to our weather.

I changed to Corsair k70 rgb mx reds and now the rapidfire rgb mx speed switch. Good for gaming as the keys are swift and responsive without the clicky noise.

But currently think whether i should get the k70 mx browns instead as its silent yet with a tactile feel. Overall i think the corsairs have better build quality.

wkweewee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Corsair strafe. Sturdy and good clicks from cherry switches.

lunarsong

Reaction score
I tried 2 brands of mech keyboards.

Razer blackwidow x chroma / razer blackwidow 2016 stealth

Corsair k70 mx reds / corsair k70 rapidfire

The razer bw 2016 stealth uses somewhat similar to cherry browns. Kinda like it but i sold away for the blackwidow x chroma as i wanted a rgb backlit kb. Use the blackwidow x chroma for about 3 weeks..and to my horror..the metal backplate turned rusty. Was informed by a friend its a known issue esp in Singapore and Thailand..probably due to our weather.

I changed to Corsair k70 rgb mx reds and now the rapidfire rgb mx speed switch. Good for gaming as the keys are swift and responsive without the clicky noise.

But currently think whether i should get the k70 mx browns instead as its silent yet with a tactile feel. Overall i think the corsairs have better build quality.

K70 hard to find brand new with MX brown, i end up buying the Strafe MX brown

did sell your previous kbs or u hoot 3 of them w/o selling?

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.