Starhub ending their cable broadband by end next year

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
News just announced that starhub is ending their cable broadband by end next year as their lease with Singtel is ending next year.

mun

Reaction score
hope there are many many good offers at PC show tomorrow.

considering there are 360,000 going to switch to fibre by end 2017 and each fibre is going at $30/mth, which works out abt 360,000x$30/mth = $10.8 million/mth. So, all telcos will sure dish out all carrots and grab as many cable subscribers as they can... huat!!!

Sent from my Phone using GAGT

Last edited:

crewcutboy

Reaction score
News just announced that starhub is ending their cable broadband by end next year as their lease with Singtel is ending next year.

Did you read the ST article properly? A decision has not been made on this.

I would say it's highly unlikely because of:
1) The logistical nightmare of moving all the cable TV users onto fibre within a year;
2) The implications of StarHub breaking their end of the contract when they're no longer able to provide 'dual broadband' to those who signed up for it.

Someone in StarHub probably 'leaked' this news to ST so that people will panic and quickly sign up for fibre, thereby making their transition away from cable easier when the time comes.

ohmygod1986

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ViewQwest - which has so far been focusing on ultra-fast plans with surfing speeds of 1Gbps or higher - said it is set to offer a 350 Mbps fibre broadband plan for $29 a month tomorrow. "This group of users may not need high-speed plans, but they will be looking to switch to a good fibre broadband provider," said Mr Vignesa Moorthy, chief executive of ViewQwest.

This looks interesting

I think they will try to move most of them over to fibre

Then only support minimum amount of cable user

then mainly use for TV

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
the cable tv box, loading abit lag :(

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what if M1 put 1GBPS at 29? HAHA

Hoping too. But highly unlikely. Cos they just upgraded their 200mbps to 300mbps at $29. Or who knows maybe next time, they sell at $29 a mth for 1gbps and removing 300mbps. Or sell 300mbps at $19. Hmm

ahboy_ahboy

Reaction score
Hoping too. But highly unlikely. Cos they just upgraded their 200mbps to 300mbps at $29. Or who knows maybe next time, they sell at $29 a mth for 1gbps and removing 300mbps. Or sell 300mbps at $19. Hmm

HAHA 300mbps at $19 4 days promo and 1gbps at $29 4 days promo. Later they play new game, 500mbps at $24

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HAHA 300mbps at $19 4 days promo and 1gbps at $29 4 days promo. Later they play new game, 500mbps at $24

They haven come out with dual 1gbos yet. Like MyRepublic, they have 2x 1gbps .
Currently, our ONT can only use 1 port. Waste the other 3. MyRepublic one can use 2, 2 ports.

Hope m1 can launch something like this. If not for next 12mths when my contract up, like no difference. From a $49 a mth which im paying currently

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
I think they will not going to end their cable services so fast.

I think the cable TV and internet share the same network. If they kill the internet it would also kill the TV network right? How many people is going to convert to IP cable TV box from Starhub?

boonkang

Reaction score
This news doesn't really matter much if:

- You're not using any Starhub services (Internet or TV); and don't intend to sign up/use any Starhub services.

- You are a Starhub user but ALREADY using Starhub fibre Internet and/or Starhub fibre TV.

So actually to majority of people, this news doesn't really matter that much :)

Personally, I'm still currently using Starhub cable Internet -- which is working just fine.

Based on this news, I'll most likely PROCEED to sign up dual broadband with Starhub:
http://www.starhub.com/personal/promotions/broadband/dual-broadband.html

If I sign up now (Jun 2016), my 2 years Starhub dual broadband contract will last until Jun 2018.

Because Starhub dual broadband includes both fibre & cable Internet...

If Starhub do indeed stop providing all cable services by end 2017, this means Starhub will be "breaking" contract obligations.

I would then expect Starhub to "compensate" by offering a special priced Internet package deal -- which should be better than whatever market price for fibre Internet at that time (end 2017).

Last edited:

mun

Reaction score
Personally, for me...

Based on this news, I'll likely now actually PROCEED to sign up dual broadband with Starhub:

If I sign up now (Jun 2016), my 2 years Starhub dual broadband contract will last until Jun 2018.

Because Starhub dual broadband includes both fibre & cable Internet...

If Starhub do indeed stop providing all cable services by end 2017, this means Starhub will be "breaking" contract obligations.

I would then expect Starhub to "compensate" by offering a special priced Internet package deal -- which logically should be better than whatever market price for fibre Internet at that time (end 2017).

my guess of their 'compensation' is to bump up the fibre speed for 200 to 500, 500 to 1G, 1G to ??? and maintain the same subscription when cable broadband ceases end 2017

BraveCloudy

Banned
Reaction score
If end also good. Starhub services lousy.
Sometimes play online games will get very lag.
The problem is not the game server, is starhub.
Super pissed off.

boonkang

Reaction score
my guess of their 'compensation' is to bump up the fibre speed for 200 to 500, 500 to 1G, 1G to ??? and maintain the same subscription when cable broadband ceases end 2017

By now everybody should/likely knows Starhub offers 300Mbps fibre at $29.90/mth, see this link below:
http://www.starhub.com/personal/promotions/broadband/300-mbps-fibre-broadband.html

But the cheapest Starhub dual broadband plan is $39.90/mth (200Mbps fibre + 100Mbps cable):

This means for the $39.90 Starhub dual broadband, logically you're paying $20+/mth for 200Mbps fibre & $10+/mth for 100Mbps cable Internet.

For Starhub's dual broadand plan, there's NO mobile broadband SIM card & NO home phone line included.

Everybody ALSO KNOWS that currently, at just $39/mth;

You can get 1Gbps fibre from M1 -- which actually includes home phone line & 1GB data/mth (4G/LTE) mobile broadband SIM card:
https://www.m1.com.sg/Personal/BUNDLES AND PROMOTIONS/Promotions/Bundle Promotion/PKG100391

OK, with the above info,

Since (now) can get 1Gbps fibre at $39/mth, why pay S$39.90 to get Starhub dual broadband -- which is "only" 200Mbps fibre + 100Mbps cable; plus no NO mobile broadband SIM card & NO home phone line ??

BECAUSE some people may decide that -- it is useful or EVEN necessary to have cable Internet as backup (or to improve wireless range without laying cable or use repeaters).

For some people, Starhub cable Internet by itself works well. Many Starhub cable Internet users were deterred from renewing Starhub cable Internet because of unattractive pricing. See some threads below:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/98834305-post104.html
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...hub-25mbps-contract-expires-soon-5290099.html

If Starhub actually ends all cable services by end 2017, dual broadband's ONLY ADVANTAGE of cable Internet as backup / secondary Internet access will be GONE.

Even if Starhub "upgrades" the 200Mbps fibre to 1Gbps fibre for the $39.90/mth dual broadband users -- do you think this is enough "compensation" ?

Why would people even want to continue paying S$39.90/mth to get "upgraded" from 200Mbps to 1Gbps -- when $39 can get 1Gbps from M1 which also includes home phone line + 1GB data/mth (4G/LTE) mobile broadband?

What could make things even worst for Starhub -- by end 2017 -- is that this current 1Gbps $39/mth fibre plan by M1 may become even CHEAPER price by that time !!

If the "compensation" for Starhub dual broadband users -- at end of 2017 -- is just ONLY speed increase/bum, logically ALL dual broadband users will simply leave & go to other telcos as soon as their contract ends !!

If Starhub cable services are ceased by end 2017 & if Starhub wish to continue to retain their pool of dual broadband users -- then logically Starhub will have to offer MUCH MUCH more "compensation" than simply a speed bum :)

Last edited:

legaltech

Reaction score
If you're very keen on the current promotional price plans for Dual Broadband it's best to query StarHub if they're still available. The existing Terms and Conditions indicate otherwise:

"... 1.4 Under this Promotion, customers will enjoy both Cable and Fibre Home Broadband Services at the promotional rates of $39.90 for the Dual Broadband 200 plan, $49.90 for the Dual Broadband 500 plan and $59.90 for the Dual Broadband 1000 plan (each a “Dual Broadband plan”), during the 24-month contractual period.

1.5 This Promotion is applicable to customers who sign up for a Dual Broadband plan before 31 December 2015. ..."

When ST wrote about the SIM only plans StarHub's website indicated a minimum term of 12 months, which StarHub then said it was a mistake. Always best to confirm.

tartzenz

Reaction score
last time when i was with singtel, they just gave me the lowest plan they had (I was using the dial up 256K back in the days) everytime they had to phase out old technology. i finally cancelled it and joined myrepublic. :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.