Mechanical KB information

xSieghartx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Probably a full size one.
Led preference: White,Blue,Green.
No switches preference
If wanna get mainstream brands, go for Corsair and Ducky, the Corsair strafe (mentioned by wkweewee) is a good entry level keyboard, but only red LEDs available. If your budget allows, can look at the Corsair K70 or Ducky Shine 5, if not, I'd recommend a Ducky zero shine.

As for switches, if you're new to mechs, I'd suggest heading down to the shops in Sim Lim to try out the different switches, linear and non-linear (can try X-treme solutions @ level 2).

xSieghartx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i added o rings to try, as i've never had them with before, (paid $3 for 100pcs of black rubber o rings). so i thought why not. i won't say i love it or hate it, but i do like how it is not as audible.
I hated it at first, but got used to it after some time, needed a less noisy keyboard for the office environment.

How much did you get your Zhuque for, inclusive of shipping? I remember people were talking about that on reddit when it just came out, does it support PCB or plate mounted switches? I'm thinking of getting it to try out my Zelios, it's just collecting dust since I don't really have the funds to drop $300+ more on my next build now. =/

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
I hated it at first, but got used to it after some time, needed a less noisy keyboard for the office environment.

How much did you get your Zhuque for, inclusive of shipping? I remember people were talking about that on reddit when it just came out, does it support PCB or plate mounted switches? I'm thinking of getting it to try out my Zelios, it's just collecting dust since I don't really have the funds to drop $300+ more on my next build now. =/

I think I paid about $60 inclusive shipping for the Team Wolf Zhuque. complete keyboard.

should be counted as plate mounted. I'm not sure what switch it supports, but it works with the one I posted, 3 "feet" switches. plastic center and 2 copper pins.

xSieghartx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think I paid about $60 inclusive shipping for the Team Wolf Zhuque. complete keyboard.

should be counted as plate mounted. I'm not sure what switch it supports, but it works with the one I posted, 3 "feet" switches. plastic center and 2 copper pins.
Ah, I see. Are those Cherry MX browns with gateron housing? You swapped them out yourself?

xSieghartx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Share some of my collection
gZMDu9al.jpg

Top: Varmilo VA8m with Ergo-clear switch (MX clears with a lighter spring replacement). White PBT blanks from www.geekkeys.com
Bottom: Pok3r with stock keycaps and MX browns, my only 60% keyboard

NB9WBy0l.jpg

No brand numpad I bought from taobao with MX browns and geekkeys PBT blanks.

K7Cb2Zal.jpg

65g purple Zelios switch, designed by the global mechanical keyboard community and produced by Gateron.

QRDA4IPl.jpg

Leopard FC210TP numpad with MX browns I'm using for work.

RsiLg48l.jpg

Ducky Shine 3 with MX blues and Keycool rainbow keycaps (selling this now in hwz marketplace) :o

Last edited:

SGxiaosin

Reaction score
the varmilo VA87M seems like a pretty decent mechanical KB especially when I'm on a budget, how is it like compared to the ducky ones?

any idea where I can try out and purchase the varmilo's as well?

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score
K70 hard to find brand new with MX brown, i end up buying the Strafe MX brown

did sell your previous kbs or u hoot 3 of them w/o selling?

sold of course.

i now have a brand new sealed razer blackwidow x chroma which razer send me as replacement. going to sell it away i guess.

oh so now k70 no more mx browns? I thought of selling the rapidfire and get that, if thats the case...den i should re use the rapid fire. i kept them back in the box. hmm

xSieghartx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the varmilo VA87M seems like a pretty decent mechanical KB especially when I'm on a budget, how is it like compared to the ducky ones?

It comes with stock thick PBT keycaps as well, won't shine as easily as the ABS ones those gaming brands usually come with (will probably take years of usage before you can even see it slightly shine). Can get from Taobao, just search VA87m. I'm not sure if there are any retail stores in SG selling it though.

It doesn't have all those fancy light modes like the Ducky range. Quality wise, it's comparable, Varmilos are made by the same company that produces for Leopold (a Korean brand known for it's quality) in China, they use good quality plastics and aluminum plates for the VA87M, no flex or squeaks. There is, however, a known issue with the stock mini USB that comes with the set, resulting in multiple key presses and key chattering. I recommend changing it out as soon as you get it, just a random cheap one would do the job.

rubbadubbaducky!

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@sieghart

your poker3 also buy from taobao ah? thinking to get one, although i already have poker2.

SGxiaosin

Reaction score
It comes with stock thick PBT keycaps as well, won't shine as easily as the ABS ones those gaming brands usually come with (will probably take years of usage before you can even see it slightly shine). Can get from Taobao, just search VA87m. I'm not sure if there are any retail stores in SG selling it though.

It doesn't have all those fancy light modes like the Ducky range. Quality wise, it's comparable, Varmilos are made by the same company that produces for Leopold (a Korean brand known for it's quality) in China, they use good quality plastics and aluminum plates for the VA87M, no flex or squeaks. There is, however, a known issue with the stock mini USB that comes with the set, resulting in multiple key presses and key chattering. I recommend changing it out as soon as you get it, just a random cheap one would do the job.

What's a PBT and ABS key cap? By shine, do you mean like the oil on our fingers will cause the key caps to become glossier and not matte?

That's good to hear, I have decided not to look for any fancy lighting, i'll be satisfied with just a good budget black tenkeyless that's nice to type on.

Saw one of the poker 3 and boy do they look good, wondering if they are more towards the budget side as well or any budget mechanical KB (60%) that looks similar to the picture below?

KBC_Poker_3_keyboard_1.jpg

Last edited:

xSieghartx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@sieghart

your poker3 also buy from taobao ah? thinking to get one, although i already have poker2.

Yup, got my non-led set from taobao, a lot cheaper than local and US prices, I think I paid about 130+ in the end. That's 30+ cheaper than local stores and about $10-20 cheaper than massdrop. If got Poker 2 can just keep using ba, unless you want the aluminum case haha.

What's a PBT and ABS key cap? By shine, do you mean like the oil on our fingers will cause the key caps to become glossier and not matte?

That's good to hear, I have decided not to look for any fancy lighting, i'll be satisfied with just a good budget black tenkeyless that's nice to type on.

Saw one of the poker 3 and boy do they look good, wondering if they are more towards the budget side as well or any budget mechanical KB (60%) that looks similar to the picture below?

KBC_Poker_3_keyboard_1.jpg

It's the type of plastic the keycaps are made of, PBT is more resistant to shine from our finger oil.

For a cheaper 60% keyboard, you can look at the Poker 3 on taobao (beware of fakes, look at reviews) or the KBP V60. For something really really cheap, can look at the RK61 on Taobao (S$40 before shipping), it's one of the few Chinese brands (Royal Kludge) that produces keyboards of decent quality for their price. But this comes with Kailh switches, the company that produces Razer switches. It's also known for it's low quality ABS keycaps though.

wkweewee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
strafe is lower end model compared to the k70 right? plastic finishing compared to the aluminium finish on the k70

Material wise u r right but once u got hold of 1 u can try carrying and flexing it :)

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
Ah, I see. Are those Cherry MX browns with gateron housing? You swapped them out yourself?

the ones in the picutre(mountain of switches) are gateron browns i got off ebay. and yea, swapped them out myself, as it didn't require any soldering work.

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score

really like the va87m, i got it off taobao for about $130 shipped (i think, maybe a little bit more).

it is very sturdy, and the fit and finish is quite solid, and the pbt feels great, only thing i might change is THICK pbt keycaps, hahaha.

i checked out ducky, but didn't really like it, and comparatively, i think varmilo is better, at least for me.

and there are a lot of options for it. whatever lights and switch you want, and the option of top or side print, keycaps and board colors.

almost limitless...

Last edited:

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score

THIS i didn't know, or felt yet. will upgrade this when i get to sls, get a replacement.

thanks!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.