[Maylyn - Networking - Preview] ASUS BRT-AC828M2 Router

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Some of my ASUS BRT-AC828M2 test development kit pictures ;)

Front View

Rear View

2x WAN, 2 rows of 4x GbE LAN

Behind

There is the where the M.2 SSD slot is.

The M.2 SSD slot allows 42/60/80mm type of M.2 SSD.

Pairing it with currently the best Samsung Pro 950 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD ;)

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
No, the CPU is not BCM4908 (quad core 1.8GHz 64bit ARM CPU).

It's currently still at sampling and development phase i think.

We might able to see new routers announcement based on BCM4908 in Q4/Q1 2017?

shaobing_1010

Reaction score

Can give the corresponding hardware configuration? I want to know what speed M2 can achieve!

Knight_Rider

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

What is the max capacity for the SSD?

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
While counting down the days to more ASUS BRT-AC828M2 information releases ;)

One new ASUS networking product has drop by my place :D

The ASUS USB-AC68 Dual Band AC1900 USB3.0 WiFi adapter

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Got the ASUS TW's go ahead to reveal the official specs ....

This is the first ASUS networking router based on QCA (QualComm Atheros) latest networking solutions.

~ Specs as follows ~

1). CPU ~ QCA IPQ8065 1.7GHz dual core Krait 300 CPU
2). WiFi ~ 2x QCA9984 4X4:4 Wave2 MU-MIMO 160MHz for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (80MHz+80MHz)
(Specs is ready but 160 drivers are not ready yet)
3). LAN Switch ~ (LAN:1 x RLT8370MB + WAN: 2 x QCA8033)
4). Fully hardware NAT dual WAN for Internet speeds up to 2Gbps with 8x real backbone GbE LAN ports (Realtek RTL8370MB 8 ports) with 2x set of bonding ports

5). Dedicated QCA HW AES/3DES/SHA crypto accelerator engine.
6). 128MB Flash
7). 512MB DDR3 RAM
8). 2 x USB 3.0 (with eject button)
9). Support Failover, Teaming (aggregation) on SLA (Static Link Aggregation), 802.3ad Aggregation
10). Support SATA/AHCI M.2 SSD up to the current biggest 500GB size available in the market - Samsung Evo 850 500GB M.2 SSD (Do note - M.2 NVME based SSD are not supported)

Just to illustrate why is this ASUS BRT-AC828M2 is fully dual WAN 1Gbps capable up to 2Gbps and hardware NAT router.

One picture is worth more than a thousand words :D

Do note the SpeedTest is to show that this ASUS BRT-AC828M2 is more capable to achieve this kind of performance rating with ease and fully NAT HW accelerated barely with any CPU loading.

All the other aspects of the performance indicators (WiFi, OpenVPN, IPSec, USB3.0, M.2 SSD etc) are still in embargo @ ASUS TW discretion.

Lastly, many thanks to ViewQwest and ASUS TW's BRT-AC828M2 team for allowing me to contribute to this particular collaboration.

Last edited:

Farish

Reaction score
Maylyn, Does this mean that it will work very well with ViewQwest’s 2GB plans? If so, what would be the recommended way to set the router up for the 2GB plan? Thanks!

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Maylyn, Does this mean that it will work very well with ViewQwest’s 2GB plans? If so, what would be the recommended way to set the router up for the 2GB plan? Thanks!

Yes, the ASUS BRT-AC828M2 is designed from scratch to provide Failover, beyond 1Gbps aggregation load balance performance, IPSec/RADIUS server and many other SOHO features aspects as well.

ASUS TW BRT-AC828M2 RD firmware team is feverishly fine-tuning those new features and going through same rounds of features and performance tests over and over to ensure things work when it's ready to ship out for retail.

How do i know? because i have new/old things from ASUS TW to test and retest on every new firmware updates ;)

Can't wait to show your guys the new GUI loaded with all those new features tabs and functions .... but it's still under embargo and guess have to wait until ASUS TW to give the green light.

So just stay tuned .... :)

PS ~> a very small teaser :s13:

Last edited:

Farish

Reaction score
Yes, the ASUS BRT-AC828M2 is designed from scratch to provide Failover, beyond 1Gbps aggregation load balance performance, IPSec/RADIUS server and many other SOHO features aspects as well.

ASUS TW BRT-AC828M2 RD firmware team is feverishly fine-tuning those new features and going through same rounds of features and performance tests over and over to ensure things work when it's ready to ship out for retail.

How do i know? because i have new/old things from ASUS TW to test and retest on every new firmware updates ;)

Can't wait to show your guys the new GUI loaded with all those new features tabs and functions .... but it's still under embargo and guess have to wait until ASUS TW to give the green light.

Excellent news! Waiting for more details! This would be awesome for the 2GB plan, finally.

shaobing_1010

Reaction score

CPU and WIFI chip temperature?

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Back with some updates .....

Finally got some time to go pick up my Samsung EVO 850 500GB M.2 SSD, so i have swap out my Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512GB and replace with it :(

It's my fault that i jumped the gun without knowing that the ASUS BRT-AC828M2 support only AHCI/SATA M.2 SSD, nevertheless it's nothing biggie as i still can use the Samsung 950 Pro NVME on the upcoming ASUS X99-E 10G WS motherboard ^^

This time round .... all swee swee :)

Before

After

WebUI (Format)

WebUI (Information)

Very simple and easy to map as a network drive and use it ;) I have crop out the performance indicators as it's still under embargo by ASUS TW. All these will be reveal when i have the approval.

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
nothing QoS engine for this router ?

Currently it's has 3 types of QoS as per all the current ASUS generation consumer based routers (i.e. ASUS RT-AC88U/ASUS RT-AC5300)

1). Adaptive QoS ~ ensures inbound and outbound bandwidth on both wired and wireless connections for prioritized applications and tasks via pre-defined, drag-and-drop presets: gaming, media streaming, VoIP, web surfing and file transferring.

2). Traditional QoS ~ ensures inbound and outbound bandwidth on both wired and wireless connections for prioritized applications and tasks via manual user-defined parameters.

3). Bandwidth Limiter ~ helps you to control download and upload max speed of your client devices.

And perhaps it's will be more customisable with more parameters, it's not being finalised by ASUS TW networking RD team as yet.

That's all i can mention for the time being.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
I did not see the tabs "adaptive QoS " and " AI protection" in screenshoot you posted

I have to crop away the whole list of left menu tabs as per ASUS TW instructions not to reveal any new menu tabs as they are still under ongoing development and testing.

I still have no clue what is the finalised menus tabs until i received any updated information from ASUS TW.

Reason being is that ASUS TW don't want people to be mislead and start pestering them if it's shown on the public domain too early and people will start to say how come this router has this and that and the shipping firmware don't have it.

Definitely i have put up the finalised whole GUI and sub tabs when that day comes.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.