Good Audio Switch?

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to get a tube amp to pair up with my Audinst MX-1 soon. Only prob I am seeing is that as I have only one pair of RCA jacks as my line out (other outputs are headphones out), all audio must go out from them; I cannot use the switch on the MX-1 to change from speakers to headphones and vice versa.

Currently, as I cannot find any (affordable) tube amp that lets me change the audio output, may I know what good audio switch can I get to solve this issue?

In terms of audio chain, it will be used after the tube amp (i.e. source > DAC > tube amp > switch). I have seen some "3 In, 1 Out" RCA switches, can I use them by treating the Out as In and vice versa (I am assuming that they work like RCA cables, which do not require specific directions to work like audio cables)? I am also aware of possible loss in SQ in using the audio switch; idea of this thread is to find a switch with minimal SQ losses but reasonably priced so that I can channel more money for the tube amp. :o

Thanks!

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
some tube amp have rca out

Yeah, I noticed the Little Dot amps have them with headphones out too but no way to switch between headphones out and RCA out.

Do I use just the RCA out if getting the normal RCA switches?

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The rca out usually is always on

So anything connected to the rca out will play music together with the tube amp

Just off the device connected if dont want to play together

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The rca out usually is always on

So anything connected to the rca out will play music together with the tube amp

Just off the device connected if dont want to play together

I see, so I should connect the amp`s RCA out into in the RCA out of the RCA switch (those 4 IN 1 OUT switches) and then switch between headphones and speakers using the RCA switch?

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ehh I lost you.. why need a switch ?

dac ----> tube amp(I assume headphone amp) ----rca out----> speaker(I assume powered type)

just off the tube amp, the rca out mostly is just a bypass.. not controlled by tube amp volume

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ah I see, but if say I want to color the sound of the speakers too with the tube amp, will this work?

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quick update: I got one of those RCA switches in Koba (10 bucks I think? Was charged 13 but I was buying other components too) and can use it to switch between speakers and headphones (need RCA to 3.5mm though).

Connect the OUT ports to the amp/DAC, then connect each set of IN ports to your speakers or headphones with appropriate "RCA-to-something-else" converters and you are done!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.