 Pay Discussions [Read first page for FAQ]

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
which shop accepts apple pay but not amex? that's weird.
normally they have to accept all types of singapore's apple pay then only can display the logo.

if the shop doesn't accept amex, then cannot use amex on apple pay.
apple pay receipt will print out the card type paywave(visa)/paypass(master)/amex(expresspay) respectively.

in layman terms.

a shop can accept contactless payment but not necessarily amex cards.

kenchi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my data roaming is on..

but nfc doesnt require data to function. so it shld work offline also. just that you will not receive the transaction notification.

i guess if got a wifi it will work too if overseas
if using a mifi to broadcast the wifi internet and share with muitple device

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Meaning as Long as the shop accept Apple Pay I can use any card right?

this depends on how u define "the shop accepts Apple Pay".
because now seldom see any shops that declare that they accept Apple Pay, except those shops in the apple website.
those shops mentioned in apple website should accept all eligible cards.
but if u mean those shops that print out their own apple pay logo and stick on the reader (they self-declare only or really certified by apple?), then u should ask them if they accept amex and all eligible cards.

Last edited:

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
my data roaming is on..

but nfc doesnt require data to function. so it shld work offline also. just that you will not receive the transaction notification.

nfc doesn't need internet.
but so far it's still not clear whether the whole payment system requires any internet communication (the authentication part).

some ppl tested overseas and cannot get thru. but u tested with data roaming and it's successful.
eg. singapore's 1st generation NFC SIM (without transit) with telco's smartwallet app, when using DBS One Tap card, i rmb mobile data is required for the authentication part. so it cannot be used locally when there's no 3G/4G signal, and no data roaming.
i googled and read somewhere that some nfc payment in other countries allow offline payment for a limited number of times before they need to go online again to continue nfc payment.

battledome64

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys anyone notice that Apple Pay automatically activates when I press home button?

That's dangerous right

elimmel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys anyone notice that Apple Pay automatically activates when I press home button?

That's dangerous right

You must have double pressed the home button.
Normal single press and Touch ID does not bring up Apple Pay

Last edited:

tunge80

Reaction score
Wanted to use Apple Pay at Old Town White Coffee Big Splash. There was a paywave terminal but the staff told me that her manager says that they cannot accept Apple Pay... Huh??? Is admin the fees higher for Apply Pay vs Credit Cards?

AnDyLe0

Reaction score

That's dangerous right

double press home button will open apple pay... nothing dangerous.
after touch id verified, u still need to find a compatible reader to read the data then only can complete a transaction.

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Sometime don't just want to act atas and say apple pay and they say no then u blur and come here complain.

If u say apple pay and they say no, try to say paywave? If they say yes, go ahead and use it.

I am no targeting at anyone here, just saying. :s13:

tunge80

Reaction score
Sometime don't just want to act atas and say apple pay and they say no then u blur and come here complain.

If u say apple pay and they say no, try to say paywave? If they say yes, go ahead and use it.

I am no targeting at anyone here, just saying. :s13:

I assume you are replying to my post although u did not quote the post. If you were not then ignore my following reply.

No one was acting atas by saying "Apple Pay"... anyways saying Apple Pay is being Atas meh??? It's just another mode of wireless payment.

Please re-read my post.

It has nothing to do with whether the staff understood what was Apple Pay or not and confused... the fact is, I did not say I was paying by Apple Pay, I told her I was gonna tap with paywave and as I was about to place my iPhone on the terminal she told me that I cannot use Apple Pay as instructed by her Manager.

The issue I am raising is whether anyone else have encountered being rejected for using Apple Pay at other stores.

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I assume you are replying to my post although u did not quote the post. If you were not then ignore my following reply.

No one was acting atas by saying "Apple Pay"... anyways saying Apple Pay is being Atas meh??? It's just another mode of wireless payment.

Please re-read my post.

It has nothing to do with whether the staff understood what was Apple Pay or not and confused... the fact is, I did not say I was paying by Apple Pay, I told her I was gonna tap with paywave and as I was about to place my iPhone on the terminal she told me that I cannot use Apple Pay as instructed by her Manager.

The issue I am raising is whether anyone else have encountered being rejected for using Apple Pay at other stores.

actually Apple Pay is jus a virtual paywave/paypass/expresspay card. I dun see how e merchant can say not supported if they already support paywave/paypass/expresspay. maybe e cashier trying to smoke thru :s22:

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
actually Apple Pay is jus a virtual paywave/paypass/expresspay card. I dun see how e merchant can say not supported if they already support paywave/paypass/expresspay. maybe e cashier trying to smoke thru :s22:

i have been rejected at popular bookstore before... they reject by seeing your "action of taking out your phone", not by any terms of Apple Pay or Samsung Pay.
told them i'm paying by paywave/paypass, when the cashier saw u holding apple/samsung, they will tell u if u r paying with phone, their management is rejecting phone payment until they work out with bank on something.
the cashiers are not clueless, they still can explain.
they also know that the transaction can go thru, but management's decision is to reject until they work out with bank on some solutions.

on the other hand, also got some shops the cashier purposely put the paywave/paypass reader deep inside the counter, and request u to give them the card, they will tap for u instead of allowing u to tap freely on the reader. this kind normally it's difficult to pay by phone.

in Samsung Pay thread, some beta testers reported that they recv a notification from samsung to respect merchants that reject phone payment. this shows that it's official that some shops are rejecting phone payment.

ashhong

Reaction score
i have been rejected at popular bookstore before... they reject by seeing your "action of taking out your phone", not by any terms of Apple Pay or Samsung Pay.
told them i'm paying by paywave/paypass, when the cashier saw u holding apple/samsung, they will tell u if u r paying with phone, their management is rejecting phone payment until they work out with bank on something.
the cashiers are not clueless, they still can explain.
they also know that the transaction can go thru, but management's decision is to reject until they work out with bank on some solutions.

on the other hand, also got some shops the cashier purposely put the paywave/paypass reader deep inside the counter, and request u to give them the card, they will tap for u instead of allowing u to tap freely on the reader. this kind normally it's difficult to pay by phone.

in Samsung Pay thread, some beta testers reported that they recv a notification from samsung to respect merchants that reject phone payment. this shows that it's official that some shops are rejecting phone payment.

i think we can troll them by pretending that we are going to tap with card but suddenly tap with the phone? afterall tapping with the phone isn't significantly slower than the card. furthermore the transaction will still go thru.

IamBeeP

Reaction score
i think we can troll them by pretending that we are going to tap with card but suddenly tap with the phone? afterall tapping with the phone isn't significantly slower than the card. furthermore the transaction will still go thru.

If not using transparent casing, just tell cashier cc is inside casing.
Kekeke.

Bhg @ century square cashier also tried to stop me from using Apple Pay. Said they are not ready. I told her, you just select pay wave.

When payment went thru, she says maybe cannot print out receipt. She said, earlier got one customer encounter that.

When receipt got printed out, she LL.

Another encounter is @ gurney drive (T3),
Customer service staff told me they haven't change 'machine' for HP payment, I request to let me try using pay wave, told her I can get 6+3%, she agreed and voila, payment got thru. Another cs asked me, you not using Amex right? Me using visa.

So, some merchants don't accept Amex but accept pay pass n pay wave. As such, Apple Pay users with Amex will not go thru. So, I presume, those that tried to stop us from using Apple Pay are non Amex acceptance retailers. Might be wrong but I think, most cases ba.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.