Anyone bought books from Books Depository before?

Alienwaree

Suspended
Reaction score
I usually get my books from ebay or amazon (usually ebay because got cashback). Never tried Book Depository. Now that I can get cashback for book depository, i want to try it. But I've got questions:

1. How long does it usually take to reach?

2. Are the book choices more varied than ebay & amazon?

3. Does it have good customer support?

Takechan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I used booksdepository once, about two years ago.

1. If I remember correctly, about a month. The problem was.. it arrived with a damaged spine

2. No idea about this

3. Decent customer support. Replied fast and offered some compensation for the damage.

tongoshasha

Suspended
Reaction score
I used booksdepository once, about two years ago.

1. If I remember correctly, about a month. The problem was.. it arrived with a damaged spine

2. No idea about this

3. Decent customer support. Replied fast and offered some compensation for the damage.

Thanks.

Have you ever tried buying books from ebay and amazon though?

metalB

Reaction score
I ordered some books in late march from them. I think it took around 3 weeks plus to arrive. No complains since shipping was free. I think the prices are quite decent actually.

I believe they source their books from various places as the books I ordered came in several packages at different times.

Customer service seems decent enough. I had to cancel 1 book as I realized that I got in the wrong language and they responded to me pretty quick.

I guess besides looking at the price, you should check to see if the books are indeed in English. The book that I had cancelled was extra cheap, but then that was because it was in Spanish instead of English :p

FYI Book Depository is owned by Amazon interestingly

BiomedicalPasta

Master Member
Reaction score
I have been getting my books from them. Roughly around 3 weeks wait. Price is way better than Kino and free bookmarks too. Haha.

Takechan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Have you ever tried buying books from ebay and amazon though?
Yeah I did, but it was a 2nd hand book from an Amazon user/seller. The price for a brand new book in Amazon was much more expensive and it wasn't available locally.

I'm not an avid reader or buyer so most of the time I do my purchases locally in bookstores. Despite my online experience, I would recommend getting online.. they tend to be cheaper. Just don't mind the wait!

magna_strike

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tried buying through amazon and BD. BD is good pricing wise and free shipping, just that like others have said, it takes like on average 16-18 days for my books to reach me. :s13:

LaEtoile

Reaction score
Have bought all of my books, except for one, in the last few years from BD.

Usually takes a few weeks to a month to arrive, although they state something like 8-10 business days on their site.

Even if you order multiple books they will arrive in individual shipments; something to do with books coming from different publishers/stores.

Price is always better than buying from a physical store in SG. Have never bought from Amazon or ebay before, mostly because I had no reason to not use BD.

gobbere

Reaction score
book depository

Ya, its a frikken good site. Free delivery and the books always arrive in a airtight and bubble wrapped package. The only drawback is the delivery time, but just start to order your books once you are almost to the end! :)

gobbere

Reaction score
Also almost everytime got free bookmark, and some of them are really nice too~

Like picture of owls la, stamps la, sibei hips kind

sloth123

Reaction score
I ordered 3 books from Book Depository, I can't remember how Long it took to arrive but the service was okay. The books were in a good condition :)

weird

Master Member
Reaction score
yup, I'm also interested to know about the cash back? can you share?

recently ordered a book. It says 5 to 7 working day. but judging from what i read here. i dont think it will come back this week.

the customer service not too back with ok to fast response.

BazookaTooth

Reaction score
I've bought plenty of books off Book Depo. It takes 5 million years to arrive but it's free shipping (hurray!) and the packaging is secure. I buy graphic novels and those books can be pretty big sometimes. Selection wise, for comics at least, is pretty large so i'd certainly recommend them.

I've also bought plenty of books off Amazon Japan (mainly magazines + photography books). They arrive in a zip (less than a week, hurray!) and prices are ok depending on the exchange rate.

Alienwaree

Suspended
Reaction score

bluesdaysss

Reaction score
I ordered 3 books from Book Depository, I can't remember how Long it took to arrive but the service was okay. The books were in a good condition :)

are the books new? I wanted to order from bookdepo but it seems like the waiting time is longer than expected from what people said here :(

magna_strike

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
are the books new? I wanted to order from bookdepo but it seems like the waiting time is longer than expected from what people said here :(

the books are definitely new. well, for free shipping, i guess just have to suck it up and wait bah... it will come eventually.. if u are in a hurry, then buying from bookstores seem to be the better choice then..

Nierika

Reaction score
I usually get my books from ebay or amazon (usually ebay because got cashback). Never tried Book Depository. Now that I can get cashback for book depository, i want to try it. But I've got questions:

1. How long does it usually take to reach?

2. Are the book choices more varied than ebay & amazon?

3. Does it have good customer support?

Hi there,

I have bought at least 30 books from bookdepository and they take 3 weeks on average to arrive. I've stopped using amazon and ebay because I find the prices of almost all the books I want to be much lower, unless I am looking for some rare out-of-print novel which one can only obtain from a second-hand supplier on ebay. I think it has a fantastic customer support as well because it offers to send you a new copy if you do not receive it within 1 month (based on my own experience).

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.