Back from South island New Zealand

FrontierX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
spending 6 plus days in south island. enough to do everything?

no plans to do any adventurous things like hot air balloon, bungee or skydiving. simple drive and sightsee.

WWH123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Regardless whether for adventure or sightseeing, can't go far with 6 days.

South Island is by no means small - when compared with Singapore. Most would do a clockwise or anti-clockwise route via Arthur's Pass, West Coast Haast Pass, Queenstown, Mt. Cook, Christchurch.

Suggest you drive down to Queenstown and fly back to Chistchurch.

lookers

Master Member
Reaction score
Just came back from southern NZ... totally mindblown! It's like Switzerland but way more chill and cheaper i feel... An abundance of fresh air, light traffic, super idiot proof roads and imba scenic views! Totally fallen in love with NZ!

silverwing

Master Member
Reaction score
Just came back from southern NZ... totally mindblown! It's like Switzerland but way more chill and cheaper i feel... An abundance of fresh air, light traffic, super idiot proof roads and imba scenic views! Totally fallen in love with NZ!

Can share your itinerary? And you travel by campervan or car?

avataar

Reaction score

Totally agree!! Amazing scenery and great food. Mussels are amazing and big! I loved both islands, North island has its uniqueness like Roturua and South Island has the whale watch and the Sounds!

pavanpatidar

Reaction score
Hi South Island visitors, can I check if queenstown to Milford Sound trip via Te anau can be done in 1 day by car? I saw some coach services offering that along with a 2 hr cruise in milford sound, but want to see if it can be done by self drive.. Also how is the route to milford sound. Is it too scary as in slippery or twists and turns? Can a normal skilled car owner go there by self drive? Thanks

WWH123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Specifically, not recommend to self drive from Te Anau to Milford Sound. Snow Avalanches - if you know what I mean. Roads may be closed without warning.

pavanpatidar

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.. Anybody able to confirm if it is a strict rule in NZ for kids aged 6yrs to use child restraint(car seat) ? We are 2 families with 2 kids and 4 adults. 1kid is 3yrs and another is 6yrs so wonder if both kids need child restraint seat then can take any standard 5seater car and need to find a 6 or 8 seater car?

Xxddcc

Reaction score
Hi, is it advisable to have a 1.5yrs old kid in tow if we intend to do a 7-9days South Island trip?

Carbine90

Reaction score
anybody can help me see see if this is ok ?

MY ITINEARY!!

day 1
4pm reach christchurch
stay overnight @ christchurch

day2
leave christchurch to lake tekapo - stone church / star gazing
overnight @ lake tekapo

day3
leave tekapo to te anau - cruise @ milford sound / helicopter tour / glow worm cave
overnight @ te anau

day4
leave te anau to queenstown
drive to wanaka and arrowtown
overnight @ queenstown

day5
skyline gandola, jetboat , lunge @ queenstown
ferburger
overnight @ queenstown

day6
leave queenstown for fox glacier/mt cook
helicopter ride ?
overnight @ fox glacier/mt cook

day7
back to sg. flight at 12pm nz time

--------------
driving time
lake tekapo - christchurch 3hr 30mins
christchurch - fox glacier 5hrs
queenstown - te anau 2hr 30mins
queenstown - wanaka 1hr 10mins
queenstown - arrowtown 30mins

WWH123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Day 3 - do you have an idea how long the drive from Lake Tekapo to Te Anau is? And to go on a cruise at Milford Sound? A 7 hour drive easily. The last cruise probably leaves at 3pm not considering it is winter now. And Milford Sound is not exactly at Te Anau BTW. Another 6 hours drive including mandatory stops along the way.

Day 6 and 7
Your flight on Day 7 is at noon.
You are staying at Fox Glacier for night of Day 6.
A 7 hour drive minimum via Arthur's Pass (likely in the night).

Do your research.
No point going for a 6 night "holiday" to NZ.

kakashixx

Reaction score
Please see my comments in blue :s12:

anybody can help me see see if this is ok ?

MY ITINEARY!!

day 1
4pm reach christchurch
stay overnight @ christchurch

day2
leave christchurch to lake tekapo - stone church / star gazing
overnight @ lake tekapo

just take note star gazing may not be possible if it is cloudy, but 1 night there is just nice and ok.

day3
leave tekapo to te anau - cruise @ milford sound / helicopter tour / glow worm cave
overnight @ te anau

Not possible. Make your way to Queenstown/Te anau first, then you can go milford sound the next day.

day4
leave te anau to queenstown
drive to wanaka and arrowtown
overnight @ queenstown

ok for arrowtown day trip. I personally find wanaka is worth a couple of days and more beautiful than queenstown. If you intend to just pop by, you should pop by when you make your way to the glaciers.

day5
skyline gandola, jetboat , lunge @ queenstown
ferburger
overnight @ queenstown

day6
leave queenstown for fox glacier/mt cook
helicopter ride ?
overnight @ fox glacier/mt cook

too rush man..and glacier is very much dependent on the weather.

day7
back to sg. flight at 12pm nz time

same thing, you intend to chiong back to christchurch and take your flight?

To sum it up, you are squeezing too many things into such a short time. Either you spend more time there or you do less things. One way is to fly in Christchurch and fly out Queenstown (or fly back to Christchurch before flying back to SG). If you want to do a round trip, at least 10 days will be ideal.

--------------
driving time
lake tekapo - christchurch 3hr 30mins
christchurch - fox glacier 5hrs
queenstown - te anau 2hr 30mins
queenstown - wanaka 1hr 10mins
queenstown - arrowtown 30mins

Last edited:

kakashixx

Reaction score
Hi South Island visitors, can I check if queenstown to Milford Sound trip via Te anau can be done in 1 day by car? I saw some coach services offering that along with a 2 hr cruise in milford sound, but want to see if it can be done by self drive.. Also how is the route to milford sound. Is it too scary as in slippery or twists and turns? Can a normal skilled car owner go there by self drive? Thanks

Yup doable. Driving-wise, as long as you practise common sense, you will be ok. The coach drivers are more experienced but they drive like rally car racing, the risk is the same :s13:

kakashixx

Reaction score
Driving through Arthur's Pass at night is absolutely not advisable, don't turn your holiday into a nightmare ppl!

Day 3 - do you have an idea how long the drive from Lake Tekapo to Te Anau is? And to go on a cruise at Milford Sound? A 7 hour drive easily. The last cruise probably leaves at 3pm not considering it is winter now. And Milford Sound is not exactly at Te Anau BTW. Another 6 hours drive including mandatory stops along the way.

Day 6 and 7

Do your research.

Carbine90

Reaction score

Day 6 and 7

Do your research.

Please see my comments in blue :s12:

I will be going in dec which will be summer.
Ya i know its quite tight, but wife insist on going there for honeymoon even thou she only can take 1 week holiday :s39:

I think i make a mistake.
Issit idea if i make queenstown the main base, and everyday drive to those places for the activities? Like te anau, fox glacier etc

kakashixx

Reaction score
I will be going in dec which will be summer.
Ya i know its quite tight, but wife insist on going there for honeymoon even thou she only can take 1 week holiday :s39:

I think i make a mistake.
Issit idea if i make queenstown the main base, and everyday drive to those places for the activities? Like te anau, fox glacier etc

Will be better, but you will stil have to leave some attractions out. Take a look at the map to work out ur itinerary. Pls also note that driving duration will b longer than expected due to sights along the way!

kbwang

Reaction score

Day 6 and 7

Do your research.

tekapo to te anau willtake about 1.5 to 2hrs. please do not speed as there will be mobile traffic camera. they hide and go after you

WWH123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lake Tekapo to Te Anau in 1.5 to 2 hours?

You cannot even reach Queenstown in that amount of time.

I leave that for other forum members to comment. No point arguing.

kakashixx

Reaction score
tekapo to te anau willtake about 1.5 to 2hrs. please do not speed as there will be mobile traffic camera. they hide and go after you

Please don't give wrong advice, it might spoil someone's holiday. 1.5 to 2hrs can only bring you from Queenstown to Te Anau. Tekapo is several times the duration

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.