Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoetvbox

Reaction score
I do not see any special in this Hisense TV spec.
I would prefer to buy TV in Sg, specially they can help to wall mount locally and have local warranty. Easier for old folk to get local support

If they plan to subscribe to local media provider eg Starhub. Then
digital antenna is not needed.

Even if you bring this TV to Singapore. Digital antenna cost no more than $30 Sgd.

Hi folks,

I am writing from the UK. My in-laws have just bought a new BTO flat in Woodlands. They picked up the keys a couple of months back. I will be travelling to SG next month to stay with them. I have bought them a TV as a gift. The TV I've bought is a Hisense LHD32D50TUK. See: amazon.co.uk/dp/B0193G6F32/
The
This a UK model. I've looked through the setup in the TV, testing it out before I take it to SG. With regards to DVB-T2 tuning, there's no option for Singapore. Several European countries, Australia, New Zealand, Arab...but no Singapore.

The result is that when I try to tune the DVT channels, the required frequency is not there. E.G., Ch5HD is 599.250 MHz (I believe, according to Wikipedia). This is equal to 599250 kHz. The countries I select for tuning have differing increments, but none of them hit the spot for 599250 kHz. It's either slightly above or slightly below.

What should I do? In the absence of Singapore being listed in the TV's settings, is there another country I could select which has the same tuning increments as Singapore? As yet, I haven't tried them all. There are a lot.

Or should I return this TV and change it for one that either has Singapore listed in the tuning settings or allows me to select any tuning increments?

The second part of my question: do I need to buy a DVT indoor aerial, or is a new-build HDB flat likely to have a suitable aerial socket already there?

Any help appreciated!

Kotek Besar

Reaction score
I do not see any special in this Hisense TV spec.
I would prefer to buy TV in Sg, specially they can help to wall mount locally and have local warranty. Easier for old folk to get local support

If they plan to subscribe to local media provider eg Starhub. Then
digital antenna is not needed.

Even if you bring this TV to Singapore. Digital antenna cost no more than $30 Sgd.

Thanks for reply. Well, this Hisense TV is good quality and cheap. £139 is only S$250. I don't know where I can find a 32" HD TV in SG for that price (I've searched online, can't find). I will wall mount when I visit.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply.

Regarding DVD-T2 tuning, it either auto scans for channels based on the country I select, or else I can manually scan based on the country I select. But manual scanning skips the frequencies that the Singapore channels use (well, at least Ch5HD anyway, that's the first I've tried). There doesn't seem to be an option for me to manually choose a specific frequency.

You are right, the TV I bought is DVB-C capable also. So, if I plug it in to the Starhub socket in the flat, should I get channels? Even though we don't have a Starhub TV subscription? Would this be analogue or digital channels? I think my preference is to use DVB-T because we should then be able to also receive Malaysian channels, being as the flat is in Woodlands. Right?

You may wish to email the TV manufacturer support with regard to the country settings, usually a firmware upgrade should be able to fix it. As for manual settings, it should allow input of a specific frequency or range of frequency.

SH SCV socket carry FTA (free-to-air) signal for both analogue and digital Mediacorp channels, no subscription is require. Of course if you choose that as source, you wouldn't be able to receive other DTV signal from other broadcaster. But then, staying near to Malaysia doesn't mean one could easily receive Malaysia DTV channels as highlighted by other users here.

TuaLiYa

Banned
Reaction score
why when watching Netflix for example, the faces of the actors all look so reddish so orangey? what can i do to make the picture look better?

Kotek Besar

Reaction score
You may wish to email the TV manufacturer support with regard to the country settings, usually a firmware upgrade should be able to fix it. As for manual settings, it should allow input of a specific frequency or range of frequency.

SH SCV socket carry FTA (free-to-air) signal for both analogue and digital Mediacorp channels, no subscription is require. Of course if you choose that as source, you wouldn't be able to receive other DTV signal from other broadcaster. But then, staying near to Malaysia doesn't mean one could easily receive Malaysia DTV channels as highlighted by other users here.

Thank you again. I have just emailed Hisense, as you suggested. Perhaps DVB-C is the best solution after all.

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need some advise here. Got a bit confused after reading the information about digital TV.

Currently I have this Sony TV Bravia KDL-40R550C. This TV has the Digital TV label when I first bought it. However, when I connect it to my SCV port, I am getting no signal. I tried to do a digital scanning but found no services. Do I need additional hardware?

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need some advise here. Got a bit confused after reading the information about digital TV.

Currently I have this Sony TV Bravia KDL-40R550C. This TV has the Digital TV label when I first bought it. However, when I connect it to my SCV port, I am getting no signal. I tried to do a digital scanning but found no services. Do I need additional hardware?

What you need is an indoor antenna as SCV port doesn't carry DVB-T2 signal.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you again. I have just emailed Hisense, as you suggested. Perhaps DVB-C is the best solution after all.

Agreed and you get additional free channel like Sports Arena. Just hope that SH doesn't decided to switch to DVB-C2 standard or worst drop transmitting of FTA channels for non-subscriber in the near future.

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Agreed and you get additional free channel like Sports Arena. Just hope that SH doesn't decided to switch to DVB-C2 standard or worst drop transmitting of FTA channels for non-subscriber in the near future.
Another worse thing could be StarHub decommissioning their cable services if they don't renew their cable network licensing with Singtel next time.

Sent from my Rice phone using GAGT

gbpdem

Reaction score
What you need is an indoor antenna as SCV port doesn't carry DVB-T2 signal.

any one got any cheap and good indoor antenna to recommend
to connect to a DVB-T2 box?
i bought a couple previously but not really good reception-wise

thanks ...

honestguy

Reaction score

thanks ...

I have similar issue with my K2 box. The channels freezes when I use the passive 5 dBi mini antenna. After I switched to the 16 dBi passive one, no more issue. If you still have issue, according to what I read in the forum, you may need to go for active antenna. I attached the reference for the 2 passive antennas (I have no affiliation to the sellers).

5 dBi:
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/1M-3Ft-D...848646?hash=item2a65ff2dc6:g:p3QAAOSwIUNXF0fG

16 dBi: (male F connector)
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Indoor-D...195279?hash=item25b3ac2ccf:g:fzQAAOSwUdlWfRP8

16 dbi (male coax connector)
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Digital-...392244?hash=item41a738ceb4:g:THsAAOSwI3RW86LQ

Last edited:

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

thanks ...

If your area is already Indoor Reception Ready and have good signal strength, any type of antenna listed here will give good reception. I personally is using this antenna that come with my cheap STB.

Perhaps you like to list down the type of antenna you have brought.

Last edited:

gbpdem

Reaction score
I have similar issue with my K2 box. The channels freezes when I use the passive 5 dBi mini antenna. After I switched to the 16 dBi passive one, no more issue. If you still have issue, according to what I read in the forum, you may need to go for active antenna. I attached the reference for the 2 passive antennas (I have no affiliation to the sellers).

5 dBi:
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/1M-3Ft-D...848646?hash=item2a65ff2dc6:g:p3QAAOSwIUNXF0fG

16 dBi:
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Indoor-D...195279?hash=item25b3ac2ccf:g:fzQAAOSwUdlWfRP8

ok thanks for the recommendation
will try the 16 dBi one as my box ANT OUT is the normal CATV female

gbpdem

Reaction score
If your area is already Indoor Reception Ready and have good signal strength, any type of antenna listed here will give good reception. I personally is using this antenna that come with my cheap STB.

Perhaps you like to list down the type of antenna you have brought.

i bought this
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Long-Ran...Home-/121676637057?hash=item1c547e2381&_uhb=1

and some ordinary rabbit ear type antennae
but all of the reception were dodgy and unstable at best

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Not sure about the second one. IMO, all these passive antenna function the same, as long as there is good reception even simple coaxial cable with exposed end will work.

In short, go for existing HDB MATV port if you have one. Else go for cheap one stated here.

The Wavecom ANT-T25 seem to have good review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.