EDMW Knife Collectors

Rock-kun

Reaction score
Well, the Speedsafe assist is still a crappy mechanism, but I understand the reason they went with that is due to costs.

When the torsion bar breaks, the whole thing is not functional anymore. I know Kershaw will likely send you a replacement, but I would rather it not break in the first place.

The best kind of assist IMO is the OutBurst found on the CRKT Hissatsu 2 (which btw should be legal as I've seen shops sell it).

You can remove the spring and the knife functions like normal, and it is a true "assist" in the sense that the spring is only there to help facilitate better opening, but does not mess anything up when it is removed.

Too bad they won't make that knife with better steel. I would like to see CRKT at least move on to VG-10 instead of AUS-8 on their mid-level knives.

Technically the chinese 8cr13mov steel is a step below AUS-8, but heck, it performs close enough to the real deal, so I'm not about to complain. What I will complain about is how two certain chinese knife brands can sell their products with 8cr13mov steel for less than 1/5 the cost of an American equivalent using the exact same 8cr13mov steel.

And if you wanted VG-10, why not go straight for Al-Mar or SOG?

LFlare

Reaction score
Is it properly enforced though? I've seen mama shops/pasar malam sell those cheap Frost Cutlery style backlocks without much restrictions.

I also remember buying my first knife (which was a crappy Emerson clone) online when I was well under 18. Nothing happened.

I did visit BT once or twice to buy folders awhile ago, but I'm not sure if I was under 18 at that time. Anyway, I did manage to buy it without any problems.

BT? What's that?

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
BT? What's that?

Black-Tactical. I used to buy Sanrenmus from them, but I've since moved on in the hobby and don't purchase them any more.

But don't quote me on this because I wasn't sure I was 18 at that time. I just handed my IC and it was good to go with no problems.

Rock-kun

Reaction score
Black-Tactical. I used to buy Sanrenmus from them, but I've since moved on in the hobby and don't purchase them any more.

You should give Sanrenmu a look again. Some of their folders have moved on to using 12c27 now, with no change in prices.

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
Technically the chinese 8cr13mov steel is a step below AUS-8, but heck, it performs close enough to the real deal, so I'm not about to complain. What I will complain about is how two certain chinese knife brands can sell their products with 8cr13mov steel for less than 1/5 the cost of an American equivalent using the exact same 8cr13mov steel.

And if you wanted VG-10, why not go straight for Al-Mar or SOG?

It is usually the branding and designer that makes it cost more. The Hissatsu 2 was designed by James Williams and made by CRKT.

Your average Ganzo costs a fraction because the design was probably ripped off somewhere.

As for why I don't go for Al-Mar or SOG, Al-Mar is pretty overpriced and SOG has QC issues.

Plus, I really do like the blade shape of the Hissatsu series of knives and I've only found it in the CRKT James Williams designed series.

Most tantos out there are those American tantos, which are not aesthetically appealing to me. The Osoraku shape looks much better, and oddly enough, it actually stabs better than its American tanto counterparts (not that I would use a knife in that fashion).

I would just hope they can upgrade the steel on that to VG-10. They've explained that they went with the cheaper steels as they were meant for self-defense use and thus the ease of sharpening was a priority.

Anyway, these companies have to step it up. Kizer is already producing folders that have VG-10 in the same price point as those 8Cr/Sandvik/AUS-8 folders in some of those American brands.

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
You should give Sanrenmu a look again. Some of their folders have moved on to using 12c27 now, with no change in prices.

Strangely enough, I'm do have an interest in their higher-end subsidaries (RealSteel, Carson Tech Labs), but I haven't really been compelled to drop cash and try them out.

Maybe when the time is right though, and by that I mean I'm hoping their Griffin button lock goes on a mad discount on their AliExpress page.

Rock-kun

Reaction score
It is usually the branding and designer that makes it cost more. The Hissatsu 2 was designed by James Williams and made by CRKT.

Your average Ganzo costs a fraction because the design was probably ripped off somewhere.

As for why I don't go for Al-Mar or SOG, Al-Mar is pretty overpriced and SOG has QC issues.

Plus, I really do like the blade shape of the Hissatsu series of knives and I've only found it in the CRKT James Williams designed series.

Most tantos out there are those American tantos, which are not aesthetically appealing to me. The Osoraku shape looks much better, and oddly enough, it actually stabs better than its American tanto counterparts (not that I would use a knife in that fashion).

I would just hope they can upgrade the steel on that to VG-10. They've explained that they went with the cheaper steels as they were meant for self-defense use and thus the ease of sharpening was a priority.

Anyway, these companies have to step it up. Kizer is already producing folders that have VG-10 in the same price point as those 8Cr/Sandvik/AUS-8 folders in some of those American brands.

Yuck, tantos. I hate those with a passion, be they American tantos or the actual Japanese tanto-style blade shape. They look ugly imo, and they also have the most weapon-like blade shape that is guaranteed to set tongues wagging for the wrong reasons.

Rock-kun

Reaction score
Strangely enough, I'm do have an interest in their higher-end subsidaries (RealSteel, Carson Tech Labs), but I haven't really been compelled to drop cash and try them out.

Maybe when the time is right though, and by that I mean I'm hoping their Griffin button lock goes on a mad discount on their AliExpress page.

Those won't cut it for me unfortunately. I adhere to a very strict rule that no knife of mine can have a blade length longer than three inches, with SAKs being the only exception to that rule.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
I don't understand, so SAKs are perfectly legal but folding knifes are strictly illegal?

A general answer is that technically any seller can refuse to deal with you for anything other than necessities in life on grounds that you have no capacity to contract being below 18. But hey, it's hard to argue what necessities are right? what's the difference between a notebook, a laptop, a phone, a pencil case, an electric scoot? And who is going to enforce it? Nobody enforces it strictly unless it involves something very expensive, or something long term, or something sensitive etc.

It's confusing isn't it.

Quite simply, an SAK is viewed as a tool, a multitool - boy scouts use it, cub scouts too. A kitchen knife as well - nobody will bat an eye or a bread knife (remember ITE). If you look like you're 10, then maybe the shopkeeper/seller will ask 'did your mom ask you to buy it?' etc. as it would appear that you were buying on behalf of your mom and you were merely running an errand.

A folding knife (worse, something black and has the words 'tactical' emblazoned on the box/knife or has a skull logo) that is not a simple slipjoint or SAK is unfortunately quite often perceived as a knife and not a 'tool' (although knife = tool) and therefore it attracts a bit more attention and vigilance. The last thing a knifeshop/knife dealer wants is for their knife dealing licence to be revoked. Although not technically required, most knifeshops/dealers record the particulars of all buyers (this is indeed a requirement but for spears, swords, etc etc....controlled or scheduled items, not actually for knives, although it is the common practice and protocol). And they do not want it to appear on the books (nor do they want to lie about it) that they have sold knives to minors. They're being prudent.

Truth be told, if you were 17 and mature and a known national adventurer or explorer, I don't see how an outdoor outfitter will refuse to sell you a Spyderco or other utilitarian folder. Because it is indeed a tool and if they can sell you a stove, backpack or figure of 8,they can sell you another tool.

Back to your request, just wait a little bit more and you can buy your own knife. Or you could always ask your parent(s) or guardian to get one for you.

Last edited:

LFlare

Reaction score
A general answer is that technically any seller can refuse to deal with you for anything other than necessities in life on grounds that you have no capacity to contract being below 18. But hey, it's hard to argue what necessities are right? what's the difference between a notebook, a laptop, a phone, a pencil case, an electric scoot? And who is going to enforce it? Nobody enforces it strictly unless it involves something very expensive, or something long term, or something sensitive etc.

It's confusing isn't it.

Quite simply, an SAK is viewed as a tool, a multitool - boy scouts use it, cub scouts too. A kitchen knife as well - nobody will bat an eye or a bread knife (remember ITE). If you look like you're 10, then maybe the shopkeeper/seller will ask 'did your mom ask you to buy it?' etc. as it would appear that you were buying on behalf of your mom and you were merely running an errand.

A folding knife (worse, something black and has the words 'tactical' emblazoned on the box/knife or has a skull logo) that is not a simple slipjoint or SAK is unfortunately quite often perceived as a knife and not a 'tool' (although knife = tool) and therefore it attracts a bit more attention and vigilance. The last thing a knifeshop/knife dealer wants is for their knife dealing licence to be revoked. Although not technically required, most knifeshops/dealers record the particulars of all buyers (this is indeed a requirement but for spears, swords, etc etc....controlled or scheduled items, not actually for knives, although it is the common practice and protocol). And they do not want it to appear on the books (nor do they want to lie about it) that they have sold knives to minors. They're being prudent.

Truth be told, if you were 17 and mature and a known national adventurer or explorer, I don't see how an outdoor outfitter will refuse to sell you a Spyderco or other utilitarian folder. Because it is indeed a tool and if they can sell you a stove, backpack or figure of 8,they can sell you another tool.

Back to your request, just wait a little bit more and you can buy your own knife. Or you could always ask your parent(s) or guardian to get one for you.

That brings me back to my main point, if there would be anyone out there that would bend the rules a little. As far as I know, the number of 17 year old known national adventurer or explorers are few and little, so no luck there. The only time I will turn 18, is just slightly lesser than a year, which I wholeheartedly believe, is too long to wait it out.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
That brings me back to my main point, if there would be anyone out there that would bend the rules a little. As far as I know, the number of 17 year old known national adventurer or explorers are few and little, so no luck there. The only time I will turn 18, is just slightly lesser than a year, which I wholeheartedly believe, is too long to wait it out.

don't worry, you'll get to handle more exotic tools when you're enlisted :)

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Saw that too. But i think since its the first wc knife, maybe at least the value will at least hold i hope.
On the other hand, i was thinking of using kc as platform to buy and directly from them through their intl shipping(if u all have tried?)
Lastly, do i really need to use the proxy?

The list of 6 dealers that will carry this has already been published (of course I won't put it up here due to our local distributors) so I think you just need to stay awake and get your friends to help you hit the send button quickly. If I'm not mistaken all of them will ship internationally or you can always use a US address.

Good luck. 204p when heat treated to a high RC is delicious ;)

wrathbringer27

Reaction score
Hello LFlare. I got my 1st knife when I was 16 going 17. It was a CRKT Foresight. I bought mint from a seller on carousell. He didn't ask for age since its was sgd135 and he thought kids shouldn't hv that much cash. He only found out my age after the done deal. As long as you look mature enough and has the capacity to know what you're doing, it's fine. He actually thought I was working. Oh Wells, nowadays I get most of my knives online. It's cheaper!

luxcancan

Reaction score
For sale

For sale some knives

Zt 450 custom purple to blue ano. 175
Cold steel rajah 2 cts bd1 150
Cold steel code 4 cts xhp 100
Kizer Glenn Klecker 130
Email me for details or pics
LuxCanCan @ gmail

Slayer1

Master Member
Reaction score
My custom folder. Its on the way now.

119tlog.jpg

S1

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
sunday brunch

with the mercury rising, Uncle Vespa's Sunday hike needs to be on hold till the weather relents a little...so here are some pics of my laguiole folder, a perfect companion for picnics, serving boards, romantic dinners or campfire carving :s13:

image_zpsk0tmieeb.jpeg

image_zpsqizrj2la.jpeg

image_zps6ukloe9t.jpeg

image_zps4vyxczjb.jpeg

image_zpsi93namx6.jpeg

you can also follow me on IG - have a good Sunday everyone.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
My custom folder. Its on the way now.

119tlog.jpg

S1

this is quite nice with lots of accents. This is the folder you mentioned sometime back yes? An IG maker? can you share DIMs, steel, materials, action, fit and finish, waiting time etc?

congrats on your lovely folder. your choice of damascus really complements the carbon fibre as well. good eye.

luxcancan

Reaction score
Slayer1, can you send me an email? My PM doesn't allow me to send out. I don't have enough posts

Vespaguy, not sure which is more yum, the food or your laguiole

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.