samsung pay

lxLionHartxl

Reaction score
GTM stands for General Ticketing Machine. it's the normal ezlink/flashpay top up machine in mrt/bus interchanges.
haven't used the paywave/paypass feature yet... will try to look out during my next top up. anyway as reported seems like it's not working even if using physical card.
anyone can confirm?

I see. Thanks man.

But I last recalled these machines does not accept credit/debit card top up. They only accepts NETS only.

Last edited:

lxLionHartxl

Reaction score
the signature in the app is merely a standard procedure for cashier to verify the signature against the charge slip. its like why physical card requires a signature. in reality, how many of the cashiers do so? close to none unless its a large purchase right?

some of the banks have existing agreements with the merchants, that if they use their own cards, no signature is required provided its below $100 purchase. Same as the contactless payment.

So in general, contactless payment does not require signature if the card is a locally issued one, while MST/slot-in cards require a signature for most of the purchases unless otherwise stated.

To answer a part of the question, someone asked how to know if you used MST or NFC for payment? well, don't look at whether you have signature or not. Look at the charge slip.

Well, recently I did 2 transactions under $100, on a DBS machine with a DBS Visa Debit Card (only 1 card added). I still was asked to sign. 1 transaction was $6 and the other was $42. Another incident was I used the same card on a UOB machine and I wasn't prompted to sign anything.

So not that I disagree with you, it is just that I am experiencing 50-50 signature requests. Sadly, credit cards/debit cards and bank stuff/issues/policies, I can't keep up with it. Can only ask you guys to simplify for an idiot like myself.:eek:

BraveCloudy

Banned
Reaction score
Well, recently I did 2 transactions under $100, on a DBS machine with a DBS Visa Debit Card (only 1 card added). I still was asked to sign. 1 transaction was $6 and the other was $42. Another incident was I used the same card on a UOB machine and I wasn't prompted to sign anything.

So not that I disagree with you, it is just that I am experiencing 50-50 signature requests. Sadly, credit cards/debit cards and bank stuff/issues/policies, I can't keep up with it. Can only ask you guys to simplify for an idiot like myself.:eek:

then dun use Samsung pay then, use card

vodka_water

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody with samsung pay got problem using android pay? The machine showing "insert card" when i try to pay.

lxLionHartxl

Reaction score
Anybody with samsung pay got problem using android pay? The machine showing "insert card" when i try to pay.

I haven't even downloaded Android Pay and play around with it yet. But are you trying to say that you installed Samsung Pay and Android Pay, tried to use Android Pay and the POS machine showed "insert card"?

vodka_water

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I haven't even downloaded Android Pay and play around with it yet. But are you trying to say that you installed Samsung Pay and Android Pay, tried to use Android Pay and the POS machine showed "insert card"?

ya, i've found the root cause, u have to go to NFC setting to choose the app to use. Be it "samsung pay" or "android pay".:s13:

nanotech25

Reaction score
android pay not safe, they dont ask for your finger print

Depends on your comfort level with it. Some might find it to be more convenient with using android pay. Android pay imo is like no different from using your plastic credit card to tap using paywave or paypass also no need fingerprint or any authentication methods.

tjrsasea

Reaction score
android pay not safe, they dont ask for your finger print

Not as safe. But still relatively okay luh.. its not like people lose their phones everyday right :D You can only make 3 payments before they need you to verify yourself. And android pay is for android phones, so some phones might not have fingerprint scanner and need type password/connect dots lol! So google made android pay more convenient for them

fevern0va

Reaction score
So do ppl still think Samsung pay is worth using over rooting the phone? What are your opinions?

tjrsasea

Reaction score
So do ppl still think Samsung pay is worth using over rooting the phone? What are your opinions?

Depends. Actually theres very little need to root a samsung flagship phone. Touchwiz is *fairly* optimised rn. Things run smoothly. Still got theme store to change the looks and feel. If not enough just install a launcher like what I did and keep the samsung pay :D

silencer22

Reaction score

If you recall during the introduction of paywave, although you are paying credit card for transaction under $100, some merchant uses paywave, some uses the chip. If they use the chip, you got to sign, otherwise no signature required.

Likewise, for samsung pay, it is really up to what the cashier selected, some of the card terminal differentiate between credit card and contactless. Signature required for credit card, and contactless not required.

If you prefer not to sign, your best bet is to inform the cashier you are paying by paywave.

Omnia1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not as safe. But still relatively okay luh.. its not like people lose their phones everyday right :D You can only make 3 payments before they need you to verify yourself. And android pay is for android phones, so some phones might not have fingerprint scanner and need type password/connect dots lol! So google made android pay more convenient for them
So since we are fortunate to have a superior phone with fingerprint sensors, we might as well use the more secure option :)

Sent from Sony SGP621 using GAGT

nanotech25

Reaction score
So since we are fortunate to have a superior phone with fingerprint sensors, we might as well use the more secure option :)

Sent from Sony SGP621 using GAGT
But i do like the fact that android pay can just tap the NFC reader and android pay will activate. Dun have to specifically launch the samsung pay app. Although I am not saying that it is too much of a hassle to launch samsung pay using simple pay, it is just that can reduce 2 steps is more convenient.

Android Pay is more convenient but less secure. Not sure if Samsung Pay can activate if you place it near the NFC terminal?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But i do like the fact that android pay can just tap the NFC reader and android pay will activate. Dun have to specifically launch the samsung pay app. Although I am not saying that it is too much of a hassle to launch samsung pay using simple pay, it is just that can reduce 2 steps is more convenient.

Android Pay is more convenient but less secure. Not sure if Samsung Pay can activate if you place it near the NFC terminal?

samsung pay will not activate when u place near the reader. in fact, it will just turn the transaction from nfc payment to EMV sales. then u need to redo the whole transaction again.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
why do you need android pay when you have Samsung Pay?? Android Pay is a subset of Samsung Pay right...

android pay and samsung pay are both different technologies, not even subset.

some people might get confused between these 2 but i agree, why use android pay when samsung pay is available.. :D

tjrsasea

Reaction score

For android pay to activate itself when it is placed near the reader, it will most probably require the app to be always on in the background/nfc always turned on? (Ps I am not sure abt that and I'm only assuming cos most apps need to be in the bg for it to react to an external source) This might lead to battery drain issues.. :( I suggest to just use samsung pay if you have the latest samsung phones bah.. or wait till samsung expand the list to include the S6 and other 2016 phones like the A series :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.