Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

COL Juay

Reaction score

this operates on Frequency: 170-230MHz(VHF)/470-862MHz(UHF)

I just got a new TV (49UH600T), the official LG website states it has TVB-T2, so the above antennas will be able to receive digital channels?

Another question, most new TVs (Samsung/LG) has a "Live TV" part they will have program guide etc, if I can receive the digital signals, that means it will also receive live program guide etc?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this operates on Frequency: 170-230MHz(VHF)/470-862MHz(UHF)

I just got a new TV (49UH600T), the official LG website states it has TVB-T2, so the above antennas will be able to receive digital channels?

Another question, most new TVs (Samsung/LG) has a "Live TV" part they will have program guide etc, if I can receive the digital signals, that means it will also receive live program guide etc?

singapore's channels are within 530-600MHz.

Most areas in singapore are indoor-reception ready, so most of the time, these simple antenna should work.

But sometimes you may encounter blindspots in the house, in this case, you may have to change the location of antenna, shift it somewhere nearer the windows.

In some extreme cases, you may have to buy powered antenna.

Most receivers provide EPG.

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Reaction score
I haven't buy digital tv or the $20 qoo10 box yet

did buy the "card" style antenna and a female-female adaptor to reuse the existing wire to "starhub" rooftop antenna and extend my antenna all the way to window ......

but still very "snow" .... is this normal for old "analog" tv ?
does that mean if I buy digital tv the internal receiver will be much more powerful and not "snow" ?

this is the only spot to place the TV in the living room, low floor ... surrounded by blocks ... window entirely no direct view of north south east west
jialat if really dead zone ....

Last edited:

COL Juay

Reaction score
singapore's channels are within 530-600MHz.

Most areas in singapore are indoor-reception ready, so most of the time, these simple antenna should work.

But sometimes you may encounter blindspots in the house, in this case, you may have to change the location of antenna, shift it somewhere nearer the windows.

In some extreme cases, you may have to buy powered antenna.

Most receivers provide EPG.

hmm, what's EPG? Just curious do you or any of you guys watch the digital TV on those newer TVs, are you able to see the digital guide?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I haven't buy digital tv or the $20 qoo10 box yet

did buy the "card" style antenna and a female-female adaptor to reuse the existing wire to "starhub" rooftop antenna and extend my antenna all the way to window ......

but still very "snow" .... is this normal for old "analog" tv ?
does that mean if I buy digital tv the internal receiver will be much more powerful and not "snow" ?

this is the only spot to place the TV in the living room, low floor ... surrounded by blocks ... window entirely no direct view of north south east west
jialat if really dead zone ....

yes, it is normal for old analog tv. Not sure what is your "card type" antenna, but I would say you are lucky to see picture with snow.

The new dvb-t2 is completely different from the old analog transmission. MDA has planted many base-stations all over the place, and the signal is strong. You should get the signal in the living room, unless you are really unlucky.

Kotek Besar

Reaction score
Frequency allocations for UK and SG are the same, therefore these are the channels that u can try to manually tune: Ch 29 (538MHz), Ch 31 (554MHz) & Ch 33 (570MHz) on the digital tuner. Only difference that I can think of is the DVB-T2 standard that both countries are using.

Not sure if this TV support DVB-T2 v1.3.1; the standard used in SG. UK's Freeview is using DVB-T2 v1.2.1 standard (older standard as they launched their DVB-T2 transmission earlier).

Thanks for replying. The problem is that, in order to search for channels (or even to manually tune channels) you have to select a country. Singapore isn't listed. The result is that tuning on this TV skips frequencies containing Singapore channels. Hope you follow me?

Anyway, I received a reply from Hisense to my email to them. They said:

Hi Kotek Besar,
This TV is specifically for the UK and Compatible with the Logical channel numbering in a few European countries.
The only way you might be able to get it working is export the channel list to USB from the menu and then edit before re-importing. Not tested this before and the TV is not designed for this.
Kind Regards

While I appreciate Hisense's reply and suggestion, it's really a non-starter because there is no option, in the menus of this TV, to export the channel list to USB. So I can't then edit the list and re-import it. Perhaps this is possible with other Hisense TV's but not with this model and the rep didn't know.

Meanwhile, I was also having a look at he DVB-C capability of this TV. It seems that, much like in the case for DVB-T2 tuning on this TV, you have to specify a country and, again, Singapore is not on the list.

Since I have a sneaking suspicion that if I take this TV to Singapore I would end up receiving no channels and feeling a lot of frustration and wasted effort, I think I'm going to return it to Amazon for a refund. Such a shame. TVs in Singapore are so expensive now.

You know, it's weird. 10 years ago family in the UK would give us a shopping list for cheap things to buy in SG to take back to England. TVs, DVD players, camcorders... Now, the opposite is true. Singapore is expensive for everything for us Brits with our weak pound, and our SG family want us to bring bargains over to SG for them from UK!

Anyone want anything for next month? ;)

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Reaction score
yes, it is normal for old analog tv. Not sure what is your "card type" antenna, but I would say you are lucky to see picture with snow.

The new dvb-t2 is completely different from the old analog transmission. MDA has planted many base-stations all over the place, and the signal is strong. You should get the signal in the living room, unless you are really unlucky.
51prhQ0icML._SY90_.jpg

ihuazai2

Reaction score
I have this TV, pluged in SCV cable point. I can only receive non DTV signals, hence all the free to air channels are non HD.

http://www.lg.com/sg/tvs/lg-42LB650T

How can i receive the DTV signals via the SCV cable point?
I don't subscribe to any paid TV.

(I'm in Pioneer so the terrestrial signals ain't in my neighbourhood yet..)

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I have this TV, pluged in SCV cable point. I can only receive non DTV signals, hence all the free to air channels are non HD.

http://www.lg.com/sg/tvs/lg-42LB650T

How can i receive the DTV signals via the SCV cable point?
I don't subscribe to any paid TV.

(I'm in Pioneer so the terrestrial signals ain't in my neighbourhood yet..)
The DTV signals via the SCV cable point come in DVB-C form. According to the specs page of your TV, your TV seems to only support DVB-T2 (1.3.1), so it is not possible to receive the signals from the SCV cable point.

ihuazai2

Reaction score
The DTV signals via the SCV cable point come in DVB-C form. According to the specs page of your TV, your TV seems to only support DVB-T2 (1.3.1), so it is not possible to receive the signals from the SCV cable point.

So i can only wait till the terrestrial signals come to pioneer? :(

honestguy

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am writing from the UK. My in-laws have just bought a new BTO flat in Woodlands. They picked up the keys a couple of months back. I will be travelling to SG next month to stay with them. I have bought them a TV as a gift. The TV I've bought is a Hisense LHD32D50TUK. See: amazon.co.uk/dp/B0193G6F32/
The
This a UK model. I've looked through the setup in the TV, testing it out before I take it to SG. With regards to DVB-T2 tuning, there's no option for Singapore. Several European countries, Australia, New Zealand, Arab...but no Singapore.

The result is that when I try to tune the DVT channels, the required frequency is not there. E.G., Ch5HD is 599.250 MHz (I believe, according to Wikipedia). This is equal to 599250 kHz. The countries I select for tuning have differing increments, but none of them hit the spot for 599250 kHz. It's either slightly above or slightly below.

What should I do? In the absence of Singapore being listed in the TV's settings, is there another country I could select which has the same tuning increments as Singapore? As yet, I haven't tried them all. There are a lot.

Or should I return this TV and change it for one that either has Singapore listed in the tuning settings or allows me to select any tuning increments?

The second part of my question: do I need to buy a DVT indoor aerial, or is a new-build HDB flat likely to have a suitable aerial socket already there?

Any help appreciated!

I believe you may have taken the wrong Ch 5 HD frequency from Wiki. It should be UHF 538.250 MHz for DVB-T2. The one you quoted is for HD5 under DVB-T.

Add'l info:
I did a test on my K2 box. Change country setting to England and do auto-search again. All the Mediacorp channels can be found with the same clarity. The only difference is that Singapore country setting, the channel start with 1, 2, 3 and so on but England setting, channel start with 801, 802, 803 and so on.

See attached photos.
J6HXoPE.jpg

NjGO3RR.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
So i can only wait till the terrestrial signals come to pioneer? :(

Yeah, unless your TV supports DVB-C unofficially, which would not be revealed in the specifications page.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. The problem is that, in order to search for channels (or even to manually tune channels) you have to select a country. Singapore isn't listed. The result is that tuning on this TV skips frequencies containing Singapore channels. Hope you follow me?

While I appreciate Hisense's reply and suggestion, it's really a non-starter because there is no option, in the menus of this TV, to export the channel list to USB. So I can't then edit the list and re-import it. Perhaps this is possible with other Hisense TV's but not with this model and the rep didn't know.

Meanwhile, I was also having a look at he DVB-C capability of this TV. It seems that, much like in the case for DVB-T2 tuning on this TV, you have to specify a country and, again, Singapore is not on the list.

Since I have a sneaking suspicion that if I take this TV to Singapore I would end up receiving no channels and feeling a lot of frustration and wasted effort, I think I'm going to return it to Amazon for a refund. Such a shame. TVs in Singapore are so expensive now.

You know, it's weird. 10 years ago family in the UK would give us a shopping list for cheap things to buy in SG to take back to England. TVs, DVD players, camcorders... Now, the opposite is true. Singapore is expensive for everything for us Brits with our weak pound, and our SG family want us to bring bargains over to SG for them from UK!

Try out the European countries' settings, and as long as the region scans the frequencies in terms of 8mhz increments and can cover from 522 Mhz onwards, it should be ok for the Singapore market. But of course, the TV in the first place must support the updated DVB-T2 (1.3.1) standard. Cos if I'm not wrong, UK DVB-T2 uses the older standard, so the TVs may be of the older standard too.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I believe you may have taken the wrong Ch 5 HD frequency from Wiki. It should be UHF 538.250 MHz for DVB-T2. The one you quoted is for HD5 under DVB-T.

Add'l info:
I did a test on my K2 box. Change country setting to England and do auto-search again. All the Mediacorp channels can be found with the same clarity. The only difference is that Singapore country setting, the channel start with 1, 2, 3 and so on but England setting, channel start with 801, 802, 803 and so on.

I have the screen shots but not sure how to show in this reply.

Hope this helps.

No, the DVB-T2 frequencies for all the MediaCorp channels currently occupy the whole number only, without the .250Mhz.

Currently only need to tune to 3 frequencies, namely 522Mhz, 538Mhz, and 570Mhz.

gbpdem

Reaction score
having messed around with antennae with a DVB-T2 receiver box
i think the best choice would be to buy a DVB-C compatible set-top box
in the first place so that we can just use the existing SCV point
already there in the wall and save all the hassle
of coz we can only receive FTA channels which would suit my purpose

am presently looking at this DVB-C set-top box which
apparently comes with android inside which would mean
we can also install all the android APKs inside

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...60349610806.html?spm=a2700.7724857.0.0.B0fvHL

anyone has experience with this kind of combo box before?

dexter9898

Reaction score

I have a Sony TV from UK but only support DVB-T2 v1.2.1 therefore I have to use an external STB.

Singaporeans are brand conscience, we only buy branded TV such as Sony, Samsung, LG, Philips, Loewe, etc. We have cheap local brand such as Akira

Hisense is a China company. I would suggest u buy a Xiaomi 4k TV instead. :s13:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.