having messed around with antennae with a DVB-T2 receiver box
i think the best choice would be to buy a DVB-C compatible set-top box
in the first place so that we can just use the existing SCV point
already there in the wall and save all the hassle
of coz we can only receive FTA channels which would suit my purpose

am presently looking at this DVB-C set-top box which
apparently comes with android inside which would mean
we can also install all the android APKs inside

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...60349610806.html?spm=a2700.7724857.0.0.B0fvHL

anyone has experience with this kind of combo box before?

Do take note that Starhub is slowly migrating their customers to IPTV and might stop DVB-C transmission in future.

gbpdem

Reaction score
Do take note that Starhub is slowly migrating their customers to IPTV and might stop DVB-C transmission in future.

i see, thanks for the info
so back to finding a suitable antenna for my DVB-T2 box

am getting pretty unstable signals of around 45%-85%
in the marine parade area for some channels eg. HD5 n HD8
the test channel looks ok as well as the CNA one

Kotek Besar

Reaction score
Try out the European countries' settings, and as long as the region scans the frequencies in terms of 8mhz increments and can cover from 522 Mhz onwards, it should be ok for the Singapore market. But of course, the TV in the first place must support the updated DVB-T2 (1.3.1) standard. Cos if I'm not wrong, UK DVB-T2 uses the older standard, so the TVs may be of the older standard too.

No, the DVB-T2 frequencies for all the MediaCorp channels currently occupy the whole number only, without the .250Mhz.

Currently only need to tune to 3 frequencies, namely 522Mhz, 538Mhz, and 570Mhz.

Great news! Thanks for this. Ok, I've just tested the TV and it can indeed tune in to 522Mhz, 538Mhz, and 570Mhz (whole numbers). So, I guess so long as the TV supports DVB-T2 1.3.1, not and 1.2.1 only, I'm good to go, right? I can't seem to find an answer online about the DVB-T2 version (it's not in the spec sheet or, apparently, anywhere else on the internet!), so I've emailed the question to Hisense.

Singaporeans are brand conscience, we only buy branded TV such as Sony, Samsung, LG, Philips, Loewe, etc. We have cheap local brand such as Akira

Hisense is a China company. I would suggest u buy a Xiaomi 4k TV instead. :s13:

Hisense make great quality products, especially TVs, and are the 4th largest screen manufacturer in the world. It's certainly not a cheap, local brand. Sure, they're manufactured in China, much like the Sony, Samsung, LG, Philips and Apple brands are. Akira, yes, I agree, cheap tat.

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a Sony TV from UK but only support DVB-T2 v1.2.1 therefore I have to use an external STB.

Singaporeans are brand conscience, we only buy branded TV such as Sony, Samsung, LG, Philips, Loewe, etc. We have cheap local brand such as Akira

Hisense is a China company. I would suggest u buy a Xiaomi 4k TV instead. :s13:

Mind you, Hisense is one of the EURO 2016 global partners.

TuaLiYa

Banned
Reaction score
so i got the antenna n now i am able to receive ch5 hd, ch8 hd, suria hd, vasantham hd, channel newsasia hd, channel U and okto hd.

is this correct? no other channels i am missing rite?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so i got the antenna n now i am able to receive ch5 hd, ch8 hd, suria hd, vasantham hd, channel newsasia hd, channel U and okto hd.

is this correct? no other channels i am missing rite?

which ant you bought?

spec116

Reaction score
Anybody using this?
Daiyo eu1702 indoor antenna?
Selling $64 at BEST
Good?

Or the funke5.1 better?

Windowlover

Reaction score
When it is going to install a permanent socket for indoor ?:s22: That will be best for all.:s12:

COL Juay

Reaction score

The one in the link seems to be for DVB-T TV. I read somewhere it is different from DVB-T2?

singapore's channels are within 530-600MHz.

Most areas in singapore are indoor-reception ready, so most of the time, these simple antenna should work.

But sometimes you may encounter blindspots in the house, in this case, you may have to change the location of antenna, shift it somewhere nearer the windows.

In some extreme cases, you may have to buy powered antenna.

Most receivers provide EPG.

i have been reading this thread for a while. I am thinking should I be getting those antennas from daiyo, funke OR buy those affordable ones from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...-52+antenna.TRS0&_nkw=dvb-52+antenna&_sacat=0

Anyone using those from ebay can share their experience vs the more expensive ones from Daiyo & funke?

**ebay seems to only have DVB-T and not DVB-T2 antennas, any difference?

Lastly, with digital signals, those our local channels broadcast schedule guide just like how normal singtel & starhub STB do?

Last edited:

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i have been reading this thread for a while. I am thinking should I be getting those antennas from daiyo, funke OR buy those affordable ones from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...-52+antenna.TRS0&_nkw=dvb-52+antenna&_sacat=0

Anyone using those from ebay can share their experience vs the more expensive ones from Daiyo & funke?

Lastly, with digital signals, those our local channels broadcast schedule guide just like how normal singtel & starhub STB do?
DVB-T and DVB-T2 are using the same UHF band, so the antenna is the same.

honestguy

Reaction score

I am using the 5 dBi and 16 dBi ones. They are working fine, one connected to K2-box (16 dBi) and the other one directly into a DVB-T2 ready TV (5 dBi). See my post #893.

Last edited:

COL Juay

Reaction score
I am using the 5 dBi and 16 dBi ones. They are working fine, one connected to K2-box (16 dBi) and the other one directly into a DVB-T2 ready TV (5 dBi). See my post #893.

Thanks for sharing! given that the prices do not differ much, I presume getting a 16dBi antenna to connect to my DVB-T2 ready TV is "safer".

For your DVB-T2 ready TV, do you get the option of the digital TV guide?

honestguy

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! given that the prices do not differ much, I presume getting a 16dBi antenna to connect to my DVB-T2 ready TV is "safer".

For your DVB-T2 ready TV, do you get the option of the digital TV guide?

No EPG for my DVB-T2 ready TV.

Last edited:

chester121

Reaction score
Hi guys I own a Philips tv 46PFL6606H/12 and in the specs sheet it's stated to have DVB-C. Currently planning to terminate my Starhub cable subscription as it's not worth the monthly $.

Q:Can I still connect coaxial cable from the SCV wall box directly to my TV to receive FTA channels or do I need a stb/antenna for this?

Quite confused as this this model doesn't have Singapore listed in the region settings, mostly EU countries etc. So I'm not sure if I can even scan local frequencies?

Paiseh if I'm using terms wrongly, am a TV signal noob here :s11: I just need FTA channels for the family to watch some local programmes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.