Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I own a Philips tv 46PFL6606H/12 and in the specs sheet it's stated to have DVB-C. Currently planning to terminate my Starhub cable subscription as it's not worth the monthly $.

Q:Can I still connect coaxial cable from the SCV wall box directly to my TV to receive FTA channels or do I need a stb/antenna for this?

Quite confused as this this model doesn't have Singapore listed in the region settings, mostly EU countries etc. So I'm not sure if I can even scan local frequencies?

Paiseh if I'm using terms wrongly, am a TV signal noob here :s11: I just need FTA channels for the family to watch some local programmes.

you can connect to the cable point and receive FTA channels, but starhub is not going to help you in future if you encounter any problems since you are not the subscriber anymore. Starhub will take care of the cable maintenance if you pay a small sum per year, but I don't think it is necessary now since we have DVB-t2 in the air.

since you have the tv, you can test your tv receiver by connecting TV's RF in to the cable point and do the tuning.

If you can't get it work with scv, just need to buy a $20 DVB-t2 box and problem solved. It is less than one month's subscription.

chester121

Reaction score
you can connect to the cable point and receive FTA channels, but starhub is not going to help you in future if you encounter any problems since you are not the subscriber anymore. Starhub will take care of the cable maintenance if you pay a small sum per year, but I don't think it is necessary now since we have DVB-t2 in the air.

since you have the tv, you can test your tv receiver by connecting TV's RF in to the cable point and do the tuning.

If you can't get it work with scv, just need to buy a $20 DVB-t2 box and problem solved. It is less than one month's subscription.

Hi Gregory, thank you very much for your advice. Yes, I was initially thinking of using the DVB-C option in the interim as I only need a coaxial cable adapter to test that out.

I'm probably returning the Starhub stb tomorrow and I might not be able to obtain a DVB-t2 box at the same time so the DVB-C option is just a stop-gap measure. In any case, thanks again for your help! :)

sunsetbay

Reaction score
Hi guys I own a Philips tv 46PFL6606H/12 and in the specs sheet it's stated to have DVB-C. Currently planning to terminate my Starhub cable subscription as it's not worth the monthly $.

Q:Can I still connect coaxial cable from the SCV wall box directly to my TV to receive FTA channels or do I need a stb/antenna for this?

Quite confused as this this model doesn't have Singapore listed in the region settings, mostly EU countries etc. So I'm not sure if I can even scan local frequencies?

Paiseh if I'm using terms wrongly, am a TV signal noob here :s11: I just need FTA channels for the family to watch some local programmes.

why dun u just try out by connect directly to SCV tv point~? my bro own an old philips TV and able to recv mediacorp HD channels via DVB-C~

on Setup > Channel settings > channel selection > Cable DVB and scan~ does your countries listing has Austria Leonding~? :s22:

chester121

Reaction score
why dun u just try out by connect directly to SCV tv point~? my bro own an old philips TV and able to recv mediacorp HD channels via DVB-C~

on Setup > Channel settings > channel selection > Cable DVB and scan~ does your countries listing has Austria Leonding~? :s22:

hi sunsetbay, yup that's my initial decision but I don't have the coaxial cable adaptor at the moment(buying tmr) so I can't test it out quite yet. Heard that Starhub will be terminating cable signal in 2020 so does that mean I can use this method up till then?

Also, yes Austria is listed alongside a number of other countries not located in Asia.

sunsetbay

Reaction score
hi sunsetbay, yup that's my initial decision but I don't have the coaxial cable adaptor at the moment(buying tmr) so I can't test it out quite yet. Heard that Starhub will be terminating cable signal in 2020 so does that mean I can use this method up till then?

Also, yes Austria is listed alongside a number of other countries not located in Asia.

not sure when starhub will be stopped cable service, doesn't matter to me as i tuning to both DVB-C & DVB-T2~ DVB-C has additional free channels, SuperSports Arena, Lifetime & Karaoke and the signal is always stable~

gdluuck, hope u can receive them~ :s22:

chester121

Reaction score
not sure when starhub will be stopped cable service, doesn't matter to me as i tuning to both DVB-C & DVB-T2~ DVB-C has additional free channels, SuperSports Arena, Lifetime & Karaoke and the signal is always stable~

gdluuck, hope u can receive them~ :s22:

Oh alright then thanks for the additional info about the free channels! Hope I can get the signal up by tomorrow.

Any further questions I'll pop back in! :s12:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Starbutt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Any reason why separate boxes are better then combined? Hate to fiddle with so many remote controls and flip so many power switches just to watch TV.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT

arcturuz

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sengkang is now digital tv ready

i have shifted by antenna from near the window to beside my tv

i can receive digital ch8, ch5, suria and vasa with great signal

however, channel newsasia, ch u and okto got no signal

:( how come ah

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
sengkang is now digital tv ready

i have shifted by antenna from near the window to beside my tv

i can receive digital ch8, ch5, suria and vasa with great signal

however, channel newsasia, ch u and okto got no signal

:( how come ah

CNA, CH U and OKTO are on 570Mhz, did u tune correctly?

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Reaction score
is the size of the antenna related to signal reception strength ?
how they they claiming bigger numbers with such small antenna ....

I ordered my TV , waiting for wednesday to try it out :s12:

krytoned

Reaction score
Any recommendation (and seller) for a dtb t2 box + antenna?

Subtitle support is a must, and I would prefer one that takes its power from the TV, so that I don't need to turn on multiple devices just to watch TV.. (need to save electricity so not good to leave the box on all the time).

Also, I stay in Bedok South area, so is a passive antenna sufficient? (how on earth would I know my coverage??)

Thanks in advance.

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Reaction score
dunno about subtitle support , but I browse on qoo10 the $20 box run 5watt .... normal usage 1 year a few dollars .... don't know how is it possible to suck it's power from tv

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommendation (and seller) for a dtb t2 box + antenna?

Subtitle support is a must, and I would prefer one that takes its power from the TV, so that I don't need to turn on multiple devices just to watch TV.. (need to save electricity so not good to leave the box on all the time).

Also, I stay in Bedok South area, so is a passive antenna sufficient? (how on earth would I know my coverage??)

Thanks in advance.

Depend on your budget and requirements.

Subtitle is a standard feature even for cheap PRC STB. As with most external box, power supply is provided either from a power adapter or come built-in.

Bedok is already Indoor Reception Ready (refer to Mediacorp coverage map here). In short, a passive antenna is all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.