recommend me a AV receiver with 2 speaker setup to replace soundbar.

Hive

Reaction score
I have a Philip B5 sound bar with a 70" LG ultra4K smart TV.

This Philip sound bar does not produce fuller loud enough sound to fill up the living room which I stay in 20 years ago 5A room HDB flat.

http://www.yamaha.com.sg/eshop/en/yma/AV/AV-Receiver
http://www.yamaha.com.sg/eshop/en/yma/AV/AV-Speakers/NSBP300

If I buy bookshelf Yamaha speaker like NS-BP300 with Receiver Yamaha Rx-V381 total cost 1K, it is good enough?

I did not look for tall big front speaker as I just want to put everything on top of TV console easier to sweep and mop the floor.

Do I need to buy separate subwoofer as I do not know if the bookshelf speaker can produce powerful bass itself?

Most of the time, I use android box to watch YouTube of singing completion, but got sometime watch a bit of Blu-ray movie. Can I just install a pair of stereo speaker on AV receiver 5.1 or 7.2 will it work well instead of hooking up a full 5.1 speaker system to use stereo or down mix surround audio to stereo sound? I connect all HDMI plug to TV and use Digital audio cable from TV connect to receiver as my TV support automatic pass through instead of always down mix to stereo digital audio output.

Or the Yamaha receiver is too low end, need a better receiver like at least Yamaha RXA1050 to have much a better sound pair with only this book shelf speakers?

http://www.harveynorman.com.sg/tv-b...eivers/yamaha-av-receiver-rxa1050-ti-7.2.html

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
If your total budget is 1k then your expectations should also be around the same level.
The AVR is not the best choice for sound. It's an all in one, that gives you Audio and Video in a one box hub of connectivity, and other kinds of processing.
Since you have a varied need, that will be fine.

Otherwise if you want better sound, you can consider a stereo amp, like a PM 8005 or lower if you can't afford this, add your front two bookshelf speakers, and connect the player via HDMI directly to the TV, and forgo switching in the amp.

Otherwise you can buy any amp you like, with the features you like and then take it to audition the speakers you want.

Shops like , City Electronics, Alpha Audio or KEC carry speakers too, so you can listen to them there. Google for their locations.

Hive

Reaction score
Pm 8005 is just have analog stereo input, maybe too pricy as I do not know how good the sound is if going to use those input compare to digital.

ahkek89

Reaction score
Can always look for used stereo amps. Typically amps do last quite long. NAD, marantz, rotel are some examples.
Perhaps with your budget you can consider monitor audio bronze 2.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.