Car rental in Perth, Western Australia

kevin301

Reaction score
Any bros here used Bayswater car rental before ? Any idea the price quoted online is AUD or USD ?

They quoted me $220 for 4 days of rental .. and Hertz quoted me AUD 270 ...

Is the price consider cheap or expensive ? Anyway both of the price included max coverage for insurance...

Thanks !

If you went to THIS site, the prices are in AUD.
Usually the average price ($/day) drops significantly around 6 or 7 days rental.
$50+ /day for 4 days rental sounds about right. Toyota Corolla, I presume.

ZigguratZ

Reaction score
If you went to THIS site, the prices are in AUD.
Usually the average price ($/day) drops significantly around 6 or 7 days rental.
$50+ /day for 4 days rental sounds about right. Toyota Corolla, I presume.

Hi, yup I selected it from the site above ... thanks for the information !

yangsss

Reaction score
rented this holden caprice for my previous trip during SG50 long week.
got 2 model, the V6 and V8. they gave me the V8 model due to location from airport pick up.

thru Budget, ard AU$120+ per day
did not take the excess, just had to be more careful.
try not to drive at night, the roos are attracted to our vehicle headlight
took the car from Perth airport down to busselton, v smooth drive!
powerful also, so i guess should be v easy to oversteer. need to get used to it, anyway highway 110km/hr, cannot speed too high also.

pros
+ very spacious. behind similar to jaguar passengers seats space
+ HUD fm driver, tells u speed, GPS direction even!
+ collision warning! usually green on the HUD, means if u brake, u will be able to stop in time. once the car in front jam brake, immd it warn red and got warning sound to infm driver collison-prone ahead, caution
+ it was pretty new, took car 1800km only on the meter.

cons
- v long due to spacious cabin, v tight to move ard especially in CBD multi-storey carpark
- v powerful. must get used to it & be caution on the road.

OGLS5lD.jpg

funnyclown

Reaction score
yangsss - thank you for sharing your pick & experience.

Btw, I noticed the Ford Kuga is a 1.6L SUV. Can someone advise is it the same space as a Toyota Rav4; Honda CRV?

Or is it small as a Toyota Rush?

Thanks

xoolix

Reaction score
I'll be spending 5 days 4 night in Perth (arriving at 6pm on the first day). Should I rent the car from Day 1 or should I explore the city first using public before renting the car?

derwang

Reaction score
I'll be spending 5 days 4 night in Perth (arriving at 6pm on the first day). Should I rent the car from Day 1 or should I explore the city first using public before renting the car?

You don't generally need a car to move around in Perth city itself. It is well served by the free CAT bus. Furthermore parking is expensive as well.

Most visitors to Perth will be exploring beyond the city/cbd (Swan Valley,MR,etc) that's when a car is recommended.:)

funnyclown

Reaction score
You don't generally need a car to move around in Perth city itself. It is well served by the free CAT bus. Furthermore parking is expensive as well.

Most visitors to Perth will be exploring beyond the city/cbd (Swan Valley,MR,etc) that's when a car is recommended.:)

Yes xoolix, listen to derwang advice. You only need car if ypu are driving out of Perth city. Even Fremental, is easy to hop on the train.

xoolix

Reaction score
Hmm, here's my plan:

Day 1: arrive at 630pm. Take a cab to perth city, stay somewhere near bayswater rental area. Dinner and explore the city a bit (any suggestion of good night places?)

Day 2: Explore city, kings park, train to fremantle, explore fremantle, train to cottesloe beach, catch sunset.

Day 3: Rent car from bayswater, drive to MR. Explore MR

Day 4: Explore MR.

Day 5: Drive back to perth city. Return car. Lunch, explore a bit. Go airport at 5pm.

Is it okay?

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm, here's my plan:

Day 1: arrive at 630pm. Take a cab to perth city, stay somewhere near bayswater rental area. Dinner and explore the city a bit (any suggestion of good night places?)

Day 2: Explore city, kings park, train to fremantle, explore fremantle, train to cottesloe beach, catch sunset.

Day 5: Drive back to perth city. Return car. Lunch, explore a bit. Go airport at 5pm.

Is it okay?

Instead of exploring King's park or Cottesloe, I would go Fremantle's weekend market and take a ferry to Rottnest island for some cycling, beautiful scenery and to see the quokkas. There is a ferry to Rottnest from Freo. I personally prefer taking the ferry from Hillary's Boat Harbour because of free parking but it's quite out of the way if you don't drive.

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But I heard the ferry ticket price there is not worth the trip?

The ferry ticket isn't cheap (~$80 barring any discounts) but if you have never been to Rottnest, you should go. The place is beautiful and if you like to cycle, you can explore the island in 1 day. You can even stay at one of the 2 accommodations on the island. Of course the main attraction of the island are the Quokkas (which can only be found on Rottnest). So unless you are not an outdoor person (in which case Perth wouldn't be suitable anyway) or dislike furry animals, then I don't see why you wouldn't like Rottnest.

I have attached a few pics of Rottnest for your reference.

11904649_10207752619517974_5840278123108809180_n.jpg

11880431_10207752619997986_775287675096702874_n.jpg

ps: There's an outlet of Simmo's on Rottnest as well :o

furryballs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Picked up a corolla hatch from hertz today. $538 for 11 days with child seat no gps.

Did not take hertz's insurance as it is like $300...

The car is pretty new, 4700km done only. It's newer than my car in singapore.

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Picked up a corolla hatch from hertz today. $538 for 11 days with child seat no gps.

That's not very cheap. I rented my car for 10 days in Aug from Nobirds. ~$580 inclusive GPS and insurance that brought down my excess to $50.

furryballs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's not very cheap. I rented my car for 10 days in Aug from Nobirds. ~$580 inclusive GPS and insurance that brought down my excess to $50.
Haha bo bian my family needs to drive straight off from airport....
Not the best deal around, but it's one that suits my needs

kevin301

Reaction score

Already picked up the car so no need to compare prices anymore! :)

Enjoy your trip!

derwang

Reaction score
Hmm, here's my plan:

Is it okay?

If you are sure on renting from Baywaters, I would suggest you rent it from Day 2 onwards and start your road trip from there.

Taxi fare from Perth city is about AUD$25-$35 (depending on traffic).

keith00

Master Member
Reaction score
Any good car rental to recommend? ard 10 days
unlimited millage, zero excess will be good :D

Merkava

Master Member
Reaction score
Any good car rental to recommend? ard 10 days
unlimited millage, zero excess will be good :D

Try this company, but with limited car choices.

https://www.bayswatercarrental.com.au/perth/car-hire

Highly recommended by their Locals, based on TA forum but 1 negative issue is that there is a 'sticker' with the company's logo on the exterior of their vehicles. Hence people will know that this is a rented vehicle.

Also, you may consider to purchase Travel Insurance which is able to provide
Excess protection. This is what I did whenever I rented a vehicle in Aus.

keith00

Master Member
Reaction score
Try this company, but with limited car choices.

https://www.bayswatercarrental.com.au/perth/car-hire

Highly recommended by their Locals, based on TA forum but 1 negative issue is that there is a 'sticker' with the company's logo on the exterior of their vehicles. Hence people will know that this is a rented vehicle.

Also, you may consider to purchase Travel Insurance which is able to provide
Excess protection. This is what I did whenever I rented a vehicle in Aus.

Thanks. Sadly they don't provide airport pick up which rather inconvenience.
Looking at Hertz with Nissan X trail for 11 day at around AUD480. 4k excess.
Ya buying local travel insurance to cover the excess is cheaper buying their 0 excess which cost 300 more

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.